[OUTDATED] 2.99.5.20080903 pre-alpha build

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
blast
General
General

[OUTDATED] 2.99.5.20080903 pre-alpha build

Post by blast »

This version is outdated. Please check the Game Releases and Versions category for the latest pre-alpha.

This is a pre-alpha version. It may crash and (will definitely) exhibit bugs. However, if you do run into issues/bugs, please feel free to report them (with detail) on our bug tracker at SF.net and/or discuss them here. The bug tracker is preferred, because we can more easily track the bugs and record when they are fixed.

So, get some of your friends to grab a copy of this file, or have your OSX/Linux friends build from source, and play around with it.

bzflag-2.99.5.20080903.exe (Windows)
You might also need the Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package to get it to run. This will be merged into the installer when I figure out how.

For people with OSX or linux, you must build the trunk/bzflag/ code from SVN. You can also grab an automatic tar.gz from the web SVN viewer, but keep in mind that you'll have to run ./autogen.sh first, unlike our official tar.gz releases.

I'm rebuilding my 2.99.x servers right now, so there should be some more test servers to play on. There's already a good handful of test servers online.

Keep in mind that this version is NOT compatible with existing 2.0.x servers and clients. You will not be able to run this client on your favorite 2.0.x server.
Last edited by blast on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Tank 52
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tank 52 »

I just tried it out, and a few thing's i noticed,
1, there's no email string not sure if that's to important though
2.For some reason i can't seem to spawn, i just see the current players,as in me only,and the press right mouse button or "i" to spawn,no matter how many times i try it dosn't work.
Try to look unimportant,they may be low on ammo
Teamwork is essential,it gives them other people to shoot at.
Big Cheese
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Big Cheese »

I was able to spawn fine.
so far all I've seen is that when you jump and if your still in mid-air and press tab, when you land you will automatically jump again.
strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by strayer »

@ Tank 52: The email field is not supported any longer. So it's not a bug...
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

Just downloaded, Not THAT impressed with some changes but who am I to say this! xD ok, Anyway found 10 problems would like to share.
  • 1. when you press jump twice while in the air, you automaticaly jump again when you reach the ground.

2. It feels like momentum when driving. Feels VERY different than the current release.

3.The Font is too small to read. Honestly, the current original font on 2.0.10 is fine.

4. For every map that I know of, the only button you can press to respawn is by right clicking. Even when it says press i or Right Click to start.

5. What's with the <callsign> Shooting,movement,jumping allowed? I think we know that xD

6. There's no e-mail string. (We miss that xD)

7. When you grab machine gun, it automaticaly starts shooting without me giving the command to do so. It's almost like Trigger Happy disguised as Machine Gun xD. Oh! and you also can't stop shooting and I'm not even pressing the button.

8. The bullet's doesn't look nice at all. The current 2.0.10 bullets are just GREAT I don't think there's any need to change that.

9. The Super bullet doesn't look any different either. Like I said, I personnaly like the current bullets for all flag kinds on the 2.0.10

10. It takes a LOOONNNGGG time for burrow to dig down.
But really thanks to ALL moderators for there time to put into this to make bzflag better. Really Nice of you all! :)
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

You guys all paid attention to the part where Blast asked you to report all bugs to the bug tracker, right?
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

Longhair wrote:You guys all paid attention to the part where Blast asked you to report all bugs to the bug tracker, right?
Did you also pay attention when he said

If you do run into issues/bugs, please feel free to report them (with detail) on our bug tracker at SF.net and/or discuss them here.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

And the sentence right after that...
The bug tracker is preferred, because we can more easily track the bugs and record when they are fixed.
I brought it up, because there's only 4 bugs at the moment that are newer than 30 days.
Last edited by Longhair on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

lol_u died wrote:2. It feels like momentum when driving. Feels VERY different than the current release.

3.The Font is too small to read. Honestly, the current original font on 2.0.10 is fine.

5. What's with the <callsign> Shooting,movement,jumping allowed? I think we know that xD

6. There's no e-mail string. (We miss that xD)

8. The bullet's doesn't look nice at all. The current 2.0.10 bullets are just GREAT I don't think there's any need to change that.
2) Server setting.

3) You can increase the size of the font in the GUI Settings - The font has also changed due to copyright problems with the Debian packages.

5) It is debugging information used during development.

6) I believe there were plans to replace it with a "Slogan" slot or something, although I could be wrong. Plans may have been made to just remove the slot altogether.

8) The bullets are now rendered, and are not textures at all. The same goes for laser and thief. I believe you can disable this and go back to the old bullets by using the "High" setting instead of the Experimental settings, although this could have also changed.

In reference to the bug tracker, it probably is a better idea to post them on the SF bug tracker, so they are easier to, you know, track. Forum posts can get lost and ignored. Bugs files on Sourceforge can be assigned, closed, etc.
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

So which is better? high or experimental settings? Like whats really the difference?
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

experimental settings are higher quality, so they look nicer.
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

ducktape wrote:experimental settings are higher quality, so they look nicer.
They are not higher quality. They contain graphics that are currently "experimental" or being worked on.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

A Heart Attack wrote:They are not higher quality. They contain graphics that are currently "experimental" or being worked on.
And seeing as the end pursuit of these experimentations are better graphics, it follows that the "experimental" graphics setting will generally have higher-quality graphics (although there may be problems as bugs are worked out - hence "experimental").
Tank 52
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tank 52 »

ok,ive managed to spawn by right clicking,hitting i does not work,but what also dosn't work is the "a" key,i tried it out and realized there was no effect by it,and my tank still moved the same
Try to look unimportant,they may be low on ammo
Teamwork is essential,it gives them other people to shoot at.
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

To add a small thing; I cannot see the lowercase 'j' in the chat box. I can see every other letter, including uppercase 'J'.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Regarding the graphics settings. Basically, the "High" setting is the same as 2.0.10's "Experimental" setting. If you prefer how 2.0.10 worked for the bullets, use that mode. The experimental shots might be changed, but this might be the final look. I personally like the old missiles, at least.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

An Intel Mac build has been uploaded to http://beta.bzflag.bz/builds/2.99.x/BZF ... 080903.dmg
Albino Blacksheep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Albino Blacksheep »

hehe... i like the name: 2.99.5.20080903 is much better than 2.0.10 or something :P :P :P , but is the .20080903 just the date is was released?? if so than i take back what i said:P :P :P
and i just tried the mac build, it didnt even open so.....
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes that is the date. the development version will be 3.0 when shipped.
ImageJeffM
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

I'm not sure what all could be so different and new. I know theres one new flag, maybe two... a new way to render shots...

Didn't Tim Riker disapprove and shoot every other idea and piece of input down?
...This has been a recording.
Blazing King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Blazing King »

i cant figure out how to get it to open on a imac G5
First there was a THUMP, that was King
After there was a Blaze of LIGHTNING
Then the world ended with Blazeing King
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Blazeing King wrote:i cant figure out how to get it to open on a imac G5
Constitution wrote:An Intel Mac build has been uploaded to http://beta.bzflag.bz/builds/2.99.x/BZF ... 080903.dmg
blast wrote:bzflag-2.99.5.20080903.exe (Windows)
You might also need the Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package to get it to run. This will be merged into the installer when I figure out how.

For people with OSX or linux, you must build the trunk/bzflag/ code from SVN. You can also grab an automatic tar.gz from the web SVN viewer, but keep in mind that you'll have to run ./autogen.sh first, unlike our official tar.gz releases.
In case you still don't see, there is no PPC Mac OS X build. You'd need to build from source or have someone else make a PPC build.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Blazing King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Blazing King »

thats to compicated for me can some one build it
and i saw thoughs and didnt get it
First there was a THUMP, that was King
After there was a Blaze of LIGHTNING
Then the world ended with Blazeing King
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

I've been trying it and I like it. Full length shots look great but I have some questions.

Is there a way to remove the auto-Identify from the console? I've been doing good enough with the Nearest Flag: in the top of my screen and the yellow spam is bothering me. Some might like it and others might not which is why I think it should be an option just like Shot Guide Line. I've been looking at the options and didn't find anything to remove it. I might have missed it though.

Also, I experience the same problem with auto-jump if I hit Tab while in the air. Is there another option I missed or will I have to bear auto-jumping if I accidentally hit the Tab key?

That's pretty much it for now. I'll probably keep testing it in the upcoming days.

Great work.

Saber
The S
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The "double jump" thing is definitely a bug, as is the fact that the 'i' key doesn't spawn a tank. I had noticed the first issue, but not the second, because I always spawn using the mouse.

I think by default that servers now have some momentum configured, so that's why the tanks feel like they don't respond as fast. I'm not positive on this without looking at the code itself.

At the moment, there is three kinds of bullets. The old style appears when the "Shot Length" setting under the effects menu is at 0 and when the quality is set to anything except Experimental. If you leave the shot length at 0, and set the quality to experimental, you get the geobolt shot style. This uses more geometry to create the bullets. The third style is when the shot length is increased, and these are trepan's new billboard graphics.

In a short discussion on #bzflag, the idea is to ditch the geobolt stuff for everything except laser, and use the geobolt laser with trepan's new shot style. (assuming that mode is activated) Of course, that hasn't been finalized yet.