Reload functionality (simple change?)

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Reload functionality (simple change?)

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I often write scripts to write pieces of maps, so that I can
parameterize subsections of maps, etc. I mainly use BZEdit
to view and complete the map work, and I go back and forth, generating and editing maps (often 20 or 30 times in a session while working on one map).

The problem is, if I have a map file (say "testmap.bzw") open
in BZEdit, and that file changes on disk (my script regenerating it), if I do File menu/Open, BZEdit thinks it's already got it open, and doesn't load the new (changed) file. Since I use this in a pretty tight cycle, it'd be nice if BZEdit would at least re-open the file when I tell it to.

I realize my style of usage might be somewhat unique, so this might not be of general interest; but on the other hand it's probably a very minor change.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it's a common feature in windows apps, the code is in SF CVS, anyone can give a go at adding that feature. It should be REALLY easy to add.
ImageJeffM
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

Na, you're not unique Purple Panzer, I use BZEdit
in much the same way. I've been using it with the
WINE windows emulator under Linux, and have
experienced the exact same problem. My solution
is to delete the file before I regenerate it. A couple
of quick ALT-F 2's, and the new file is loaded. I
used to use Windows, and I think that it responds the
same way.

P.S. I too find this annoying.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

ok, between the two of you..........Purple/Trepan, does either of you have decent programming skills/development tools, because I have looked at the bzedit code...........its not impossible to re-do things, and I would be willing to help, but my skills lack, and my access to build/debug tools is nill..........Pat is busy with other things, so right now the BZedit ownership/editship can be moved over.......

and we do need to edit things to make the new features in 1.9 work in the editor. Pat has place holders in there now, but we need the guts underneath it.

any takers?
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I've probably got the skill to do it, and maybe the tools; I think my C++ environment is MicroSoft VC++ version 5 or something like that (I tired of sending them money on a regular basis for almost trivial upgrades), though I perhaps bought v6. Somewhere on disk is gcc I expect, though I haven't used it for a bit. I'm right now an entirely Windows shop, though I may convert one machine to Linux (an earlier attempt at dual boot using System Commander never got anywhere, after about half a day.)

Time is probably the big issue; I get available time in smallish chunks, and I think I'd need to dive in for enough consecutive hours to have what I need in short-term memory. This might well be possible in the next two or three weeks, if it's a day or two. (I do have a business trip to DoJ in about 2 weeks). Also, and sorry for the implied laziness of not having looked, is there any quick guide to proper procedures of checking out, building, testing, checking in, releasing? (I've used CVS in the past, but also other tools, and I suffer from tool interface confusion).
I've had a really hard time getting anything done in the last few weeks for a number of reasons, so "commitment" isn't the operative word here (ah, the ghost of Richard Nixon, or at least his press secretary...)
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

Sorry, I can't help, I don't have access to the tools,
I'm currently a linux only guy. Out of curiousity, what
does need doing? Besides the file reload issue, is it
the addition of the flipz, drivethrough, and shootthrough
keywords?