Running a server with bots - how?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Running a server with bots - how?

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I've seen various references to bots (robot tanks), so that one can play solo against ai opponents. I don't see anything in the
server (bzfs) command line to turn this on; is there another executable around somewhere which runs them? Or does it only work on some platforms? (I'm on Windows 2000).

Just curious. It would be fun to work on the AI of such (I've done quite a bit of that kind of thing, much for the DoD). If anyone knows who's doing it, let me know. My time is limited, but sometimes vast vistas of unplanned hours appear.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the server dosn't run bots, run a bzflag client with the -solo N command line, where N = the number of bots. when you log into a server you will get N bots that join with you. or run an instance of bzflag and hit 9 on the keyboard.
ImageJeffM
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

I believe the bot stuff is client side...I don't think there is anything within the server part. Bots run with any O.S. (including mac's? - at least with Windows and Linux)

Just run bzflag with the -solo XX option
where XX equals the number of bots you desire - there is a optimal high-end limit on the number of bots your system can handle. Not sure what drives that limit exactly. Also, just because you are running bzflag with -solo doesn't mean nobody else can play, just make sure it is ok with #1 the server's host, and #2 with anybody else playing on the server you want to use bots on.

As for the particulars in AI coding, someone else will have to speak up there.

hope this helps
Defman
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

Patlabor221 wrote:the server dosn't run bots, run a bzflag client with the -solo N command line, where N = the number of bots. when you log into a server you will get N bots that join with you. or run an instance of bzflag and hit 9 on the keyboard.
um, doesn't the 9 key thing pertain to 1.10? (AutoPilot)

Thought maybe you were referring to a way to envoke bots on the fly after starting bzflag - that I never heard of! LOL
wingnut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wingnut »

Autopilot??? Whats autopilot?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes autopilot is in 1.9.xx, it makes your tank play by itself.
ImageJeffM
wingnut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wingnut »

what a waste of programming effort - I would rather have SW destroy GM or better anti-cheating or just about anything else . What possible use does this have?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it's usfull in testing, and for some practice. Many people are asking for better bot interfaces, and this is just one. People work on what they want to work on, so please don't berate them for their efforts. You are more then welcome to work on things you feel should be impoved.
ImageJeffM