When should we release 1.10?

Place all meeting requests / announcements here...

When should BZFlag 1.10.0 be released?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:39 pm

Immediately
14%
After a little more testing and debugging (two weeks)
52%
After network lag issues are improved
19%
After karma is implemented
5%
After the protocol is cleaned up to minimize incompatible releases
5%
After the whole thing is rewritten from scratch
5%

Total votes: 21

learner
General
General

When should we release 1.10?

Post by learner »

As many of you know well enough, 1.10 has been in the works for several months now and includes several noteworty features. It's the next official release since 1.7g2. It's completely not backwards compatible with the current clients and servers so everyone will have to upgrade.

Should the we do all the protocol breaking things for a while? Just release it? Perhaps just a little more testing? Perhaps not?

The question as to when 1.10 will be released has been kicked around for some time. I'm curious as to what others think.
EvilChickenNugget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by EvilChickenNugget »

I cast my vote for "After a little more testing and debugging."
I think that it might be a good idea to stop adding on, polish what is there already and release it. The sooner it is out in the wild the faster people will be upgrading to it. You can then continue adding the newer features in subsequent minor number releases.
learner
General
General

Side note

Post by learner »

On a side note, most any of the major new features being considered will also incur backwards incompatible releases.. This goes for fixing the networking, karma, and other planned ventures. So another forced update is pretty much a given whenever those features are completed. That's perhaps the topic of another poll.. how people feel about forcing an update to the clients and servers.

Personally, I think we could follow suit of other games and require an update as much as is necessary, just not unnecessarily.
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

I think that testing should continue so that when you release it everything is almost perfectly running.
larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by larsl »

Missing option: When it's done.

=)
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

....the next question is, when will the next release candidate be available so those not in the loop can start debugging(ie, toying) with it.

we have been stuck on 1.9.7 for quite some time.

:)
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by larsl »

http://bzflag.dragon.org/builds/1.9/ has 1.9.8 now (unless you are using Mac).

I wouldn't call it a release candidate though, there are a couple of known bugs that has to be fixed.
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

By the way, there doesn't seem to many many people around in the 1.9.x servers, regardless of the time I check in at ... this makes 1.9 harder to test, especially since robots, while smarter than in 1.7, are not yet good enough.What I usually do is launching some 5 to 10 copies of BZFlag and put most of them in AutoPilot mode, but this is a real PITN ... wouldn't it be possible to have Roger-controlled robots?
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

When do people play? I dont mind playing tonight and other nights too on 1.9 if i got somebody to shoot at :)

(night = ~19GMT+)
I don't need huge pictures here.