Problem with List Server

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Problem with List Server

Post by io »

I still don't know if it is my connection or if it got something todo with the list server.

What i tried todo to get global login to work is:

1. Retype my password
2. Check if something blocks the token
3. Change my password on the bzbb and change it back
4. Renew my ip

It still doesn't work properly, it takes way too long for me to fetch the list from the server, and it won't accept my gobal login (only sometimes it does).

So my question: Is there a problem with the list server, or could it be that it is my computer.

Edit: I pinged google and got normal times, so i m pretty sure that it isn't my connection.
Marzipan

Why be normal when you can be yourself?

We dance because we can not fly

Legalize it!

I created a map, i just can't remeber because i were high.

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

I changed the list server port to 80 and checked the port settings, still not fixed.

Is it possible, that while changing the nick from shorty to marzipan again, something went wrong?

Cause i m pretty sure now, that it isn't my computer/connection.

But it got something todo with the cache and the tocken. Because when i first join the server, it works but after that it never does.

But as i already said above, nothing blocks the port, and the cache is also fine.
Marzipan

Legalize it!

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Marzipan wrote:I changed the list server port to 80 and checked the port settings, still not fixed.
That means you changed nothing. 80 is the default port.
Marzipan wrote:But as i already said above, nothing blocks the port, and the cache is also fine.
How can you be sure there's no caching? You describe the caching problem. The very obvious sign is this:
Marzipan wrote:But it got something todo with the cache and the tocken. Because when i first join the server, it works but after that it never does.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

Marzipan wrote:But as i already said above, nothing blocks the port, and the cache is also fine.
How can you be sure there's no caching?[/quote]

Because it worked all the time, and nothing were changed on the settings.

What port should i take instead ?
Marzipan

Legalize it!

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Marzipan wrote:Because it worked all the time, and nothing were changed on the settings.
You need to realize that caching can happen at ISP level. There is very little you can do against ISP side caching.
Marzipan wrote:What port should i take instead ?
Please read blast's post again. I know this is mean but I want people to read.
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

hm... mabey you didn't understand me:

there weren't any changes on my side (i simple moved from my usual computer to a laptop). And that's it.

I changed the port to 81 (thought when i read throw it the first time it said 80 but nvm) and it still doesn't work.

I can't tell, i don't think that my isp caches it (how do you check that?)
Marzipan

Legalize it!

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Marzipan wrote:hm... mabey you didn't understand me:

there weren't any changes on my side (i simple moved from my usual computer to a laptop). And that's it.

I changed the port to 81 (thought when i read throw it the first time it said 80 but nvm) and it still doesn't work.

I can't tell, i don't think that my isp caches it (how do you check that?)
If you moved to a different computer, I'd call that a change. Does it work on your "usual computer"?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

i can't tell because the old one isn't working right now.

But i m on the same network as usual.

Edit:

I also disabled the firewall, disabled the virus programm... still nothing
Marzipan

Legalize it!

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Clear your DNS cache.
Open up the command prompt -> Type "ipconfig /flushdns"

If no one else is having issues, there's a fairly large chance there's something wrong on your end, be it your ISP doing some funky stuff, or your network not configured properly, etc.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It's less likely that DNS cache would be the issue. It's possible, I suppose. A transparent web proxy cache could definately be an issue. It is possible that your ISP recently installed a proxy on their network to help save them bandwidth. But anyway...

I can't recall if this would help or not, and I don't have a client handy to check, but edit your BZFlag shortcut to include the following after the executable (or run bzflag with this after it, if you're on linux/osx):

Code: Select all

-debug -debug -debug -debug -echo
I think that more than one -debug is supported, but it might not be. Anyway, see if that gives you some more information. If you're on Windows, that will create a file called stdout.txt in your install directory. On linux & OSX, that will write output to your terminal. These should contain a lot of information. It also might write some extra information to your chat window. This might help you determine what the issue is.

ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Marzipan wrote:there weren't any changes on my side (i simple moved from my usual computer to a laptop). And that's it.
That means you changed something at your side.
Marzipan wrote:I changed the port to 81 (thought when i read throw it the first time it said 80 but nvm) and it still doesn't work.
Ah, OK. Even with destination port 81 you can not be sure that there's no caching in progress.
Marzipan wrote:I can't tell, i don't think that my isp caches it (how do you check that?)
To test such a thing you would need to send some data to a server, get a reply. Remember the reply and send the same request again. If the server is configured to send a different reply each time a request is received and you still get the same reply there is some caching involved. As networks are pretty complex you would need to send any data to any port from any port to any server in the whole internet. That's a bit hard to test.

In principle BZFlag is doing such a kind of check but limited to one server and one destination port. If your ISP caches by protocol, rather than by port you could have a hard time working around the problem.

As you changed computers it could also be possible that there is no ISP side caching involved. It's difficult to know.

Please try to use the login forms like at http://bzstats.strayer.de/?lang=en ("login for paranoiacs"), then push the "logout" button and try to login again. Does this work for you?
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

yep, that works for me :)
Marzipan

Legalize it!

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Strange. Maybe something is caching based on content but I'm not sure.