Beta Star -- Updated! (* And hosted! *)

Previews and comments on future maps.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Beta Star -- Updated! (* And hosted! *)

Post by F687/s »

Here's a map I've been rapidly developing over the past couple of days, inspired by Gamma Star and containing some elements of Missile Wars. The idea is that there are two zones right next to each other (one red, one blue), and a series of *internet* tubes that connect the two. So, instead of having that "void zone" connecting the two bases, you're either in one area or another. So, it kinda carries the defensive base-ness that Missile Wars has, but without the "getting sniped if you move"-ness. ;-)

Sound like fun? Download and try it for yourself! It's pretty complete, but there are a few things I wanna fix before the final release, as well as getting everyone's opinion on what I should do next. And yes, I know, it needs moar flags.

Questions? Comments? Let me know, and I hope you like it. ;-)

(EDIT: Now hosted at f6.selfip.com:5159. Check it out!)
(DOUBLE EDIT: I have uploaded a new(er) version, which has more flags, some interesting HiX-inspired pyramid-thingies, and even more fortified bases.)
Attachments
bzfi0199.png
An overhead view of the entire map
(477.3 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
bzfi0198.jpg
A view of one of the base areas.
(329.27 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
betastar.bzw
Beta Star -- Updated!
(22.89 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Ooh! I like what I see! I'll check out the map in BZFlag in a bit, but the screenshots tell me a lot!

I like your materials - this map looks quite a bit more consistent than most, yet avoids being dull and boring.

The only thing I might question is a simple setting - the mirror effect takes twice the power to draw, yet it's only visible on the edges of the map.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Wow that looks really good. I'd love to try this with a bunch of others. With the above, left and right paths to get between bases I would almost expect a underground network. :wink:
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

In all honesty, this is the first map in a while that I've first seen on the forums and immediately went to the server to try it out. With a lot of players, this map could definitely be a favorite of mine. Sadly, I haven't seen it up with the popular servers yet, so I haven't had a chance to play it with other people yet. Definitely looks promising, though!

A quick, easy change I would suggest making to the map is for those pyramid objects (the ones that look like x on the map). I suggest making it so you don't get caught on them while driving on the ground. I can just imagine myself trying to hide behind them to dodge some bullets, and getting stuck on them and dying.

Also, it would be nice to increase the jump height by just a little bit, or decrease the size of some of the objects, whichever you prefer. Neither of these suggestions are necessary, but I feel they would improve the gameplay.

Slime
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Wow, this map is buggier than an NES game...

> The only thing I might question is a simple setting - the mirror effect takes > twice the power to draw, yet it's only visible on the edges of the map.

I changed it to a simple material, which should suffice, and give older PCs a break.

> A quick, easy change I would suggest making to the map is for those pyramid objects (the ones that look like
> x on the map). I suggest making it so you don't get caught on them while driving on the ground. I can just
> imagine myself trying to hide behind them to dodge some bullets, and getting stuck on them and dying.

Easier said than done, since collisions with pyramids work differently if it's on a mesh(box) rather than on the ground. I hacked a simple solution, which produces an effect that will probably never be found, but will hereby be dubbed the "Floating Flag" glitch. ;-)
I also did the same to the triangle-things in the tunnels.

> Also, it would be nice to increase the jump height by just a little bit, or decrease the size of some of the
> objects, whichever you prefer. Neither of these suggestions are necessary, but I feel they would improve
> the gameplay.

I changed _gravity from -13.666 to -13.0, to facilitate jumping for those of us without ninja skillz. ;-)

Also (more or less):
> The flags get stuck on top of the GM boxes HELP PLZ!!!

Actually, there are two ways to get to them. But whatever. I added an invisible object to prevent flags from getting stuck up there, and instead either go to the safety zone, or remain inside the pyra, depending on what your client ate for breakfast.

All these changes and more are attached. Because it's mainly bugfixing, the screenshots haven't changed. If anyone else has any ideas for more stuff, please let me know.
Attachments
betastar.bzw
The update map. (* Beta Star! *)
(23.64 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Ride
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ride »

Wow, F6 this is a very cool map. Very impressive idea. The tunnel things are awesome.

Nicely done F6! :D