The Cathedral

User made maps to use on servers.
Astroman
Private First Class
Private First Class

The Cathedral

Post by Astroman »

Here is a map I have been working for about four months. It is a very large cathedral complete with pews and and an altar. It still needs work including sections of roof, arc problems, and the towers. All suggestions are appreciated, good or bad.

Thank you to all who have offered support and suggestions, and a special thanks to:

ahs3 (for hosting) and Jefenry (for encouragement).

You can test it out at bzbattleground.com:5862

Screenshots:
Attachments
bzfi0032.png
The outside in a sunrise.
(410.08 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
bzfi0033.png
Just inside the main door.
(788.82 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
bzfi0034.png
Inside one of the side doors.
(922.77 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." -Mary Gardiner Brainard
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Very very good! Only one suggestion: most of the fighting is done outside, where there is just open space, so it would be nice to put more stuff out there, or find some way of making the actual cathedral the main stage for fighting.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Nice. Cool how you can shoot under pews but no drive under them. Good advice qt.
Astroman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Astroman »

Quantum Tank wrote:Only one suggestion: most of the fighting is done outside, where there is just open space, so it would be nice to put more stuff out there, or find some way of making the actual cathedral the main stage for fighting.
I am planning on either: enlarging the cathedral to fill more map, making the world size smaller, or putting the entire building on a hill in order to discourage and make fighting outside harder. That should create more "skirmishes" and thus make the playability better.
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." -Mary Gardiner Brainard
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

placing the cathedral on a hill (or maybe even a cliff) is a good idea. the map will look better that way.

great job, Astroman
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
Gabriel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gabriel G »

Played this.. :)

It's a great map!
Use the Search and Edit buttons as your question may have already been answered/posted.

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Or you could close off the cathedral and define all the tank spawn zones as being inside... :P

Seriously, though, I would just resize the world and put more obstacles on the exterior grounds.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)