unforgotten "classic" maps

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

unforgotten "classic" maps

Post by zaphod »

i would like to start a "nostalgic" series in hosting this long gone and unforgotten maps.
bringing back this classics we played in BZFlag version 1.x.x (or later).

which one would you love to see back for a while?

(and please help me in finding the map files and if possible the config-file to bring it back in its original form!).
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

::: starting with some maps :::
  • 123.zaphod.fr:5140
    classics ::: OVERLORD v.1.00 ::: by Dutchrai
definitely an all time favorite for many players!
  • 123.zaphod.fr:5141
    classics ::: GRASSROOTS ::: by Babel
together with Overloard on hepcat the "place" to be!
  • 123.zaphod.fr:5142
    classics ::: MARIO'S ARENA ::: by mario
the first map i played on many many many many years ago with BZflag version 1.xx.x!
  • 123.zaphod.fr:5143
    classics ::: SPIRALZONE ::: by Wiz
was very popular map around 2003 and the host was secretplace
Last edited by zaphod on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Good job on hosting the oldies! Overlord/Boxy days were the most fun for me personally :)

It's a shame us distant players can't enjoy them.
MissleWars is more than keepin' us busy anyhow. :)
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

It's good to see Spiralzone getting a bit more exposure again, too. Love that map, just need to get more people playing on it...
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Shooting Girl
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Shooting Girl »

spiralzone!!! omg i remember that one :o
I didn't think it was a great one (tavern was and is the best ever :D), but still.. I was a beginner then, so I would love to play that map again :D
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

The really funny thing is that these maps have not left the list, they were all still being hosted...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

joevano wrote:... they were all still being hosted
sorry ::: i disagree ::: mostly ;)
some were gone for a long time (grassroots and overlord)!
i know that because i was regularly looking / searching for them!!! (last seen spring 2007)
mario's always was on the list because i hosted it myself since my first server is running.
spiralzone came and disappeared again. (here i agree and i will take it offline! hosted since 2008-06-09 at fairserve.bzflag.net:5221)

-> back to the subject ::: anyone missing a map desperately from the "good old times"? let me know to bring it back online!
or do you think ::: let the classic's be classic and lets go on with time?
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

definitely dont let the classic maps go,
but do move on with time by creating many more fantastic maps. =)
to bad im to laggy to play on any of them LOL=)
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

I really like grassroots, its a clever mixture out of ricos, flags and ctf.
:)
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

there was a map called ziggy's world, which was hosted by aribeth's sleepycows server. it was fairly popular in it's time and seeing it again would be cool (even if only for nostalgic purposes). could you find it zaphod? same goes for aribeth's atlantis map.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

THX Green .... good ideas!!!
both up&running! ;-)
  • 123.zaphod.fr:5143
    classics ::: IGGY'S WORLD ::: by Aribeth

123.zaphod.fr:5144
    classics ::: ATLANTIS ::: by Aribeth
(i'm a little confused ::: was it iggy or ziggy? anyone?)
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

wow you're a hero! :) actually i'm sharing your confusion. i have seen it being called both iggy's world and ziggy's world. maybe there was a slight difference between them, don't know. now off to my old favorites!... 8)

edit: hmm, the map i remember had a bigger central block, from the interior of which you could shoot at tanks outside. maybe that was ziggy's world. :|
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

grr all these great servers and im to laggy to play on them.

i went on babel and i was way to laggy.

perhaps the classic maps could also be hosted by someone in a different location as well
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

Classics ftw!! :)

Personally i can't play on ther servers due to high lag, but i support the classics all the way. Keep up your awesomeness Zaphod!
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

zebedy asked me to look for a specific map ::: i think i found it?!
::: how about a little pillbox / ducati style from the good old days :::
  • 123.zaphod.fr:5146
    classics ::: RINGS (circle of death) ::: by Semtex

little confused to whom give the credits ::: in some old forum posts i found the names Zoly and Semtex?!
also the name for this map is unclear ::: Adrenaline Factory ::: 3 or 4 ring versions ::: Rings for the freak, Spiral, Circle of death?
were there a league playing this map?
i know it was a no-jump setup ::: but had it super-flags and/or rico?
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

almost forgot ::: the classic of the classics
  • 123.zaphod.fr:5145
    classics ::: Hepcat-Rotation ::: Overlord/Babel/Pillbox
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

Noooooo!!!! im missing out on all the awsome servers.
isthere anyone out there, like Cosmoswho can host them in a good location as well
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

Actually anyone in america wanna host these maps? Us aussies and others who have high lags tend to have a lag just below 300 on usa servers, so it would be good :)
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

yeah preferably hosted in California, Or Where Badgerking is Hosted from (dont know where its hosted from btw). because that is a good location and it means Us aussies in WA can play with decent lag
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

good idea & fine with me ::: i'm willing to share (matter of course!) all the files and updated maps to anyone who wants to host them ::: so that they become playable all over the world!!! just pm me :::
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

The really funny thing is that these maps have not left the list, they were all still being hosted...
Yes, that is true. They have been hosted for quite a while now. The sad thing is, none of them have had a very stable home. Sometimes a server using these maps would only last a few days or weeks.
i have seen it being called both iggy's world and ziggy's world. maybe there was a slight difference between them, don't know.
Actually, these are two very different maps, though with a similar style I suppose. Iggy World was entered in a map contest but never gained quite the popularity as the similarly named Ziggy. I attached the Ziggyworld BZF in case you still want to use it. I can assure you several players including myself would like this one.

And, just for the record, it was semtex who created the rings map you're hosting.

I really appreciate you hosting these old map, zaphod. I've missed playing on a lot of them.
Attachments
ziggyworld.bzw
Aribeth's Ziggyworld
(37.09 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

yeah i wonder what happened to divi.fairserve. i seem to remember flipperboy or someone hosting it

not sure though
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

some classics

Post by Fiberchunks »

There were two maps that alot of the 'old timers' (or which I am not one) used to play on - that I loved playing on.

1. Turkey server -- not sure what the map name really was -- this was a server hosted by KernelPanic back in 2001-2003 or so. Razberry, kp, dervish dukot, myself, and many others played on that server / map constantly.

2. Decks -- another oldie but goodie. We used to get together on #bzflag IRC and get an impromptu decks match going. Again, I'm not sure who developed the map, but captain_proton on #bzflag would probably know (or JeffM might know too).

Anywho, those were two maps that I loved playing on, specifically the turkey map.

Fiberchunks
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: some classics

Post by dereliction of duty »

Fiberchunks wrote:There were two maps that alot of the 'old timers' (or which I am not one)
Fiberchunks
Dunno about that Fiberchunks, you are now one of the 'old timers' in my books! Look who was the first person who registered here... or should I mention who started this web site... ;)
Fiberchunks wrote: 1. Turkey server -- not sure what the map name really was -- this was a server hosted by KernelPanic back in 2001-2003 or so. Razberry, kp, dervish dukot, myself, and many others played on that server / map constantly.
Fiberchunks
"Mad City" is what I believe you are referring to, aka a good camping map. I wonder if someone still has the server settings used for that map. If you host this one, please no wings or burrow, and set it where you can move forward in a jump off a pyramid.
Fiberchunks wrote: 2. Decks -- another oldie but goodie. We used to get together on #bzflag IRC and get an impromptu decks match going. Again, I'm not sure who developed the map, but captain_proton on #bzflag would probably know (or JeffM might know too).
Fiberchunks
Another great map, best if used without flags IMHO
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

well ::: i thought that the classics series would make some players either "come back" or curious to discover this very good "old" maps :::
unfortunately the stats prove a very poor frequency of visiting the "goldies"!
but i guess ::: time has changed and i see a strong tendency going for a sniper-style using GM or L instead of the "close combat" that demands skills, dodging and patience to learn!
i guess i'll keep running the classics until the end of this month and replace it with one "rotating-server" going through all the maps in a circle of 1.5 hours.
anyway ::: thanks for your posts and making an idea happening!