New player finding the game hostile

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
deathrider
Private
Private

Post by deathrider »

Beenz, i congratulate you for your courage to speak truths.
It is a nightmare out there and we all know it.
New players are treated like dogs or shooting targets in some maps, so the avoidable issue of dislike this wonderful game from its first sec is coming true.
Personally when i found a new pl i kindly inform him how to move around and if possible get him in same color.

Also server admins do not the guts to ban someone which is spoiling the moment or the game in general (not all of them); this is true for players also; when someone cheats... and it is not lagging....(iam not stupid) why the players do not vote for ban when the poll starts? why?
But this is adifferent story.

Personally i want to play everywhere since i enjoy this very much; i dont agree with some of players above that in order to play cool you must join some particular servers; all servers must comply with gaming rules...and fun...and try to treat new players a decent game session.

By the way all of us started as noob....

Thanks.
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

deathrider wrote:Beenz, i congratulate you for your courage to speak truths.
It is a nightmare out there and we all know it. New players are treated like dogs or shooting targets in some maps.
Yeah, but too much truth is disliked by some people.
Anyway, a little bit more truth: imo the most worse combination for a beginner is to join a crowded ctf-game, specially if it has geno-flags, as some ctf-teamplayers care too much for the team-stats. Some of these so called "teamplayers" start to get immediatelly aggressive if a beginner gets geno-killed or accidently kills a teammate or does whatever...
deathrider wrote:Also server admins do not the guts to ban someone which is spoiling the moment or the game in general (not all of them); this is true for players also; when someone cheats... and it is not lagging...
Hmm, hard to belief, that an admin doesn't feed into a ban-command? Maybe the admin wasn't playing on the map, instead used observer-mode and wasn't present?
deathrider wrote:why the players do not vote for ban when the poll starts? why?
But this is adifferent story.
Yeah, that's something I don't understand, too, in the case that someone is clearly cheating.
(For example on a crowded server I saw a wing-cheater with self-aiming bullets, just seldom someone started a poll ban, and although many registered players were present, kinda noone voted yes, wierd.)
deathrider wrote:all servers must comply with gaming rules...and fun...and try to treat new players a decent game session.
From moral point of view you are right, but no law bonds us to moral, so the server-owner is allowed to do total immoral practices.
(Just keep in mind, your own house is analogical like the server of a server-owner. If you don't allow someone to enter your house, it's like a server-owner would ban someone without a reason. And at this moment you do ban milliards of people, as you don't allow them to enter your house, and not being hospitable is immoral.)
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
deathrider
Private
Private

Post by deathrider »

z[h]ero wrote:From moral point of view you are right, but no law bonds us to moral, so the server-owner is allowed to do total immoral practices.
(Just keep in mind, your own house is analogical like the server of a server-owner. If you don't allow someone to enter your house, it's like a server-owner would ban someone without a reason. And at this moment you do ban milliards of people, as you don't allow them to enter your house, and not being hospitable is immoral.)
If you are in the professional business you have to comply with the rules; i dont think that my house is on this business - if it was -red light- i would know it and i was were a millionare right now -just kidding. :D

Either you are a professional of what you do and what you act or take your place where you belong; thats my point - don't take it personal.

For the rest i agree with you.
:D
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

deathrider
It is not the responsibility of the admin to ban someone that is being a jerk.

And also, if people don't vote in polls, most of the time they can't (aren't registered) don't care, or don't think the accused is guilty.

And you have no way to tell if a person is cheating instead of lagging, unless that person was using a blatant cheat and literally stood still with bullets going through him or her.
If someone says they are lagging, unless you know 100% that they are cheating, assume they are lagging, because no one likes someone who whines. If others don't think the person is cheating, then leave it at that.
Torabashiri
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Torabashiri »

Most of the really gratuitously rude ones turn out to be around 10 years old, its hard to take it seriously when you know that
Neko no Ongaeshi
zebedy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zebedy »

Isn't it funny when you get the previous few posts talking about using coherent sentences and about kids attempting to ruin the game with language and behaviour and up pops some child that just wants to post an objection because something happened that he didn't agree with, no matter that the whole ethos of the forums has been that if you have a problem with a server then you deal with the server admin and not the forum. I think if he had bothered to actually read any of this post he may have thought differnetly about his topic of reply.

On a different note, Beenz, I haven't had the pleasure of blasting you to kingdom come yet but hope to in the near future. In the meantime, if you do happen to see me about I would be more than happy to help you and give pointers.
99% of the BZ community are good, decent, honest tankers but it sounds like on your first outing you found a server full of the other 1%.
This game is so much fun and I have been coming to it for 7 years and will continue to do so as long as it is as well suppoerted as it is now and has been for the last 7 years. There are many games out there but I doubt many have had or have such established and continued support. There are far more than a handful of players here that I met and got shot to pieces by 7 years ago and I am more than happy to say they are still about today with few exceptions.

In short, I have never said this before but it seen fitting to do so now.

Thankyou BZflag for the last 7 years and cheers to the next 7 years
Someone else said that to me once......only once
Tanx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanx »

I don't remember anyone from around when I started playing (I kind of wish I did so I could thank them for helping me and putting up with me as well).:wink:

You can learn a lot from watching a leader in observer mode.

I learned how to dodge non ricochets from Pillbox (there is no annoying Ricochets to deal with there. It's like heaven) :D
known as: Tanx, Eoncho, ckw.
Bzflag player since 2001.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

an excellent way to learn how to play is to go on a pillbox server like BRL,
because from my experience most of the players who go on there are very helpful.
i learned how to play on Borrego (sad passing) and was advised and helped by a few players such as sweating bullets
another way is to have a bit of practice with bots but they are kind of stupid :D