Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

I just upgraded my mac OS from 10.3.9 to 10.5.5 and now it would not start. It will just sit there. I would have to restart.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

This is not a mac forum... we can't help you if your mac won't start. Personally I would get a PC... ;)

I am assuming you mean BZFlag, would this be correct? What client version are you trying to run?
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I would recommend deleting or renaming your BZFlag configuration file and see if that allows the game to run. Keep in mind that this will delete all of your in-game settings such as key mapping and graphics settings, and your username and password. You will need to reconfigure these options to your liking.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

joevano wrote:This is not a mac forum... we can't help you if your mac won't start. Personally I would get a PC... ;)

I am assuming you mean BZFlag, would this be correct? What client version are you trying to run?
you are quite right. Bzflag doesn't start. PC are very good on games. but macs are easier and cleaner to maintain. Do not not want to start a rant here. This is my opinion

Client Version?? you mean 2.0.10. and yes, i did an reinstall. but still the same. I cleaned the caches. etc
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

blast wrote:I would recommend deleting or renaming your BZFlag configuration file and see if that allows the game to run. Keep in mind that this will delete all of your in-game settings such as key mapping and graphics settings, and your username and password. You will need to reconfigure these options to your liking.
Ok, I will try that. I am away from my computer so I will try that later and let you know

thanks
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

turn smothing off. I'll assume you have a mac with intel graphics. Apple broke the intel video drivers with 10.5.5.
ImageJeffM
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

JeffM wrote:turn smothing off. I'll assume you have a mac with intel graphics. Apple broke the intel video drivers with 10.5.5.
The issue was it wouldn't launch at all.. I can't change anything if it cannot launch
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

smothing is probably on in your config, that can crash the system (they REALLY broke the drivers).

open your config in a text editor and set smothing to off.
ImageJeffM
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

cj wrote:
blast wrote:I would recommend deleting or renaming your BZFlag configuration file and see if that allows the game to run. Keep in mind that this will delete all of your in-game settings such as key mapping and graphics settings, and your username and password. You will need to reconfigure these options to your liking.
Ok, I will try that. I am away from my computer so I will try that later and let you know

thanks
update: did try that but no change.

By the way, I have a non-intel. ppc mac. Bzflag worked good when I had 10.3.9 but it doesn't when I upgraded to 10.5.5
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

oh, an old PPC....

1) throw away that entire config dir.
2) what binary are you using?
ImageJeffM
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

JeffM wrote:oh, an old PPC....

1) throw away that entire config dir.
2) what binary are you using?
O, I just deleted the config file not the 2.0 folder.

You want me to throw out the 2.0 folder?

2) I think its 2.0.10 version, is this what you're asking?

Thanks
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yeah try deleting the entire folder.
ImageJeffM
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

JeffM wrote:yeah try deleting the entire folder.
well, I deleted the entire folder - no change.

is there a older version that might change. I have a feeling its my graphic card. though
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the problem is more likely that your version is too old. Apple has been breaking some compatibility with older apps. I'm not sure what you should try. Perhaps you need a native PPC build on your system to make sure that it uses the current libs.
ImageJeffM
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

JeffM wrote:the problem is more likely that your version is too old. Apple has been breaking some compatibility with older apps. I'm not sure what you should try. Perhaps you need a native PPC build on your system to make sure that it uses the current libs.
version of bzflag?? Anyone know of a native PPC build for my system?

Thanks for all your help..
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You might have to build a copy yourself.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

blast wrote:You might have to build a copy yourself.
hmmn, thats will be beyond my knowledge. But thanks anyway.
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

I'm still using the 2.0.10RC3 build on my PPC970 Mac. It works. I am also using Mac OS 10.5.5.
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

Enigma wrote:I'm still using the 2.0.10RC3 build on my PPC970 Mac. It works. I am also using Mac OS 10.5.5.
is it possible to send me a copy? or can you provide a link to one.

thanks
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

Enigma wrote:I'm still using the 2.0.10RC3 build on my PPC970 Mac. It works. I am also using Mac OS 10.5.5.
I got this in console that the program has problem with video gui

probably a video card driver conflict
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

I compiled it and come up with this on the 'make'

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../../include -I../../../include -I../../../src/platform -g -O2 -pipe -pedantic -fno-exceptions -W -Wall -Wundef -Wno-import -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-exceptions -g -O2 -pipe -pedantic -fno-exceptions -W -Wall -Wundef -Wno-import -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-exceptions -c MacPlatformFactory.cxx -o MacPlatformFactory.o
MacPlatformFactory.cxx: In member function 'virtual BzfWindow* MacPlatformFactory::createWindow(const BzfDisplay*, BzfVisual*)':
MacPlatformFactory.cxx:68: error: cannot allocate an object of abstract type 'MacWindow'
MacWindow.h:12: note: because the following virtual functions are pure within 'MacWindow':
../../../include/BzfWindow.h:50: note: virtual void BzfWindow::setFullscreen(bool)
make[3]: *** [MacPlatformFactory.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

any ideas?
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

You write you got a problem with "video gui". Could we please see the error message?

The compilation problem sounds like you did not install libsdl properly. What does "sdl-config --version" return for you?
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

cj wrote:
is it possible to send me a copy? or can you provide a link to one.

thanks
This is the release candidate 3 thread.
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11558
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

ts wrote:You write you got a problem with "video gui". Could we please see the error message?

The compilation problem sounds like you did not install libsdl properly. What does "sdl-config --version" return for you?
as far as I know, there was no errors on the SDL part before configuring bzflag.

But I am new to compiling so I may not be able to share info
cj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cj »

cj wrote:
ts wrote:You write you got a problem with "video gui". Could we please see the error message?

as far as I know, there was no errors on the SDL part before configuring bzflag.

But I am new to compiling so I may not be able to share info
thanks but I got bzflag running.. had to go to another graphic card.