How to kick a player?

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
chambo
Private First Class
Private First Class

How to kick a player?

Post by chambo »

Hello, i have some problem. One time per week we are playing BZFlag at school, throught lan. How can i kick a player? If i start a server, im automatically administrator? Then to chat /kick playername?

Thanks, Chambo
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Generally many servers support the "kick" command, however normally at least three registered players are needed to execute a "poll-kick".
Here the poll-kick command:

Code: Select all

/poll kick "player name"
After you typed this command, you need generally at least two other registered player who "vote yes".

/vote yes
Btw, often it makes more sense to accomplish a poll-ban, instead of a poll-kick, as there is a high chance that a kicked player will return immediatelly and will go on with his behaviour.
Don't worry btw, a poll ban generally only last few hours.
Last edited by z[h]ero on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
chambo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chambo »

How to register on server? And we dont have computers IP, but names, will ban work too?
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

chambo wrote:How to register on server?
First, a player needs to be registered on this forum (like you are registered here, else you couldn't write posts).
Secondly after you select "join game" in bzflag you need to enter your callsign and your forum-password in the identical textfields, if you do it correctly a "+"-symbol will occur next to your callsign.
chambo wrote:And we dont have computers IP, but names, will ban work too?
Yep, names work, too.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

No, you're not automatically an administrator even if you make a server yourself. For casual use over a LAN, you could just add

-passwd <your password>
to the command line or your conf file when you start the server. If you're not using a command line interface to start the server, I'm not sure what to do if anything.

Yeah,

/kick <callsign>
will work. If you're the administrator, you can also use the /playerlist command, which lists all players on the server and gives them a player number. Often,

/kick #7
is easier when you get some wiseacre with a callsign like jhlkadfljciaje.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Oh, and to use the global registration, you need add a few things to your configuration rather than simply being signed up here.

Unless I'm mistaken, you need the following in your conf to use the global registration: -publicaddr followed by either your external IP address and port the server is listening on, -public followed by a title like "my server", and optionally, -advertise with a comma separated list of groups to advertise to. If you want a private server that uses global logins, you can use -advertise NONE to keep it off the public list.

I'm guessing that unless you're really good buddies with the school's IT person, you won't be able to use the -publicaddr switch because you're most likely behind some sort of router, and for this to work, you'd need to forward outside connections to the server on your LAN. Since global login system is an outside connection, if you don't have that port forwarded, you can't use the global login.

For what you're doing, I'd just use the -passwd switch. Hopefully, you don't have some smart cracker on your system that knows how to sniff for plain text passwords.
chambo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chambo »

Last time i tryed to push "o" in game, in setting its called like administrator console. it works. i started the server. so its ok? im administrator? or anybody can push it and that thing will appear? there was something like ping stats etc.

btw: sry for my bad english :)
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

anyone can type o, and get the menu
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

chambo wrote:im administrator?
In order to become administrator you first need to add the "passwd"-command like Longhair told.
Afterwards during in-game type:

/password HereYourPasswordOfYourConfigFile
If you did it correctly, the following message will appear: "Your are Administrator."
And an @-symbol will occur next to your callsign.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

You need to kick someone on a LAN? Back in the days, we used to just go up and give them a real kick!

Obligatory note: I do not condone violence. :P

Probably in this case it'd be easiest and likely more logical to use a password instead of global login, because as Longhair mentioned, you need your server publicly accessible for it to work (and at every school I've been to, they always use NAT, so you would have to have an administrator port forward to your server... and most probably wouldn't).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
chambo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chambo »

Longhair wrote:No, you're not automatically an administrator even if you make a server yourself. For casual use over a LAN, you could just add

-passwd <your>
to the command line or your conf file when you start the server. If you're not using a command line interface to start the server, I'm not sure what to do if anything.
how to use command line interface to start it? we are starting it throught game - join server start server, then set it, and start. so how to start it throught command line?
A Meteorite wrote:You need to kick someone on a LAN? Back in the days, we used to just go up and give them a real kick!
:) good idea, but we cant :(
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

If you're lucky enough to be using Linux based computers on your school system, it's as simple as opening up a terminal and doing

bzfs <switches>
Switches are the little -j -world -public -passwd etc. To find out what the switches are, type on in a terminal:

man bzfs
(man is the "manual")

If you're stuck on a Windows based system, and most likely you are, things get more complicated because there's no built in executable path. You don't have man pages either. Explaining how to start bzfs from a command prompt in Windows is beyond what can be explained in a forum post. To give you some hints:

You get to a command prompt by going Start->Run and type in cmd.

Read up through the bzflag wiki for starting servers in general. There's lots of good information in there.

You can Google around a bit for "bzfs man page". That should also be a big help.

Also, there are a zillion posts in this forum where people have asked the same question. Searching around for them might help. I'd start with the wiki, because it's organized.

Good luck.
chambo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chambo »

we have linux + windows. so if i will start it on linux, can players from windows connect?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Yes, *most* of the public servers run on linux, but the majority of the players use windows.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If they are running it at school, it is unlikely that they can run a public server. So global login would NOT be an option.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Man, what kind of school do you go to that has Linux computers with BZFlag installed, and how come I didn't get to go there? We still had Trash-80s when I first got to high school, and we then upgraded to Laser 128s.
chambo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chambo »

in that linux is lot of games installed, including BZFlag, that school is in slovakia :)