BZFlag Declines

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag Declines

Post by Cheese Man »

I have seen a definite decrease in the number of players playing bzflag on the weekends. Why?
I think it would be good if we could orgenize a ctf with a max of like 500 players and got people back interested in the game. We'd advertise it as server messages that we could ask people to post like on mofo, or in desert war, or something like that. they could be some of those annoying little server messages that make a pinging sound, and they'd advertise a server that we could all party on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't that be fun?!?!?!!

Pls reply.

Thx
-Cheese Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

also if this sounds like fun, id be happy to organize by emailing if that is needed. let me know if you want to help please!!!!
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

1) No server can support 500 players. The max is 200.

2) Most servers do not have a large enough internet pipe to hold that. Most are between 10-20mbits.

3) People have lives. They do things on the weekend. This is a game. Game < Life.
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

i understand that, but
1st: this is one day, prob no more than about 2-3 hours
2nd: people used to play, they don't anymore. this is a decline not a complaint about that no one plays anymore
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Cheese Man wrote: 1st: this is one day, prob no more than about 2-3 hours
No server can support over 200 player, I mean BZFS, the program that runs the server, cannot take more then 200 players. Not like you'd ever get that many anyways.
Cheese Man wrote:2nd: people used to play, they don't anymore. this is a decline not a complaint about that no one plays anymore
You've noticed this in the, what, month you've been playing? (Only been registered since the 4th.. which is 11 days)

Take a look at my registration date... August 2005... This happens every year at this time of year. People take time off for the holidays and have better things to do then play a game. Game < Life.
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Haha don't listen to Winny... Game > life.

Bzflag really isn't declining though. Yes, people are taking breaks for the holidays and yes, fluctuations sometimes happen. That doesn't mean a big ctf will fix anything though. If you like organized matches and/or a pretty stable community, join a league (GU league is the biggest/best :)).
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

Winny ( :evil: ) has a point, lots off people take time off for holidays.
anyway where would it be hosted from. unless you have a high lag kick like 500 you can only get paople from certain places to play. and a high lag kick means players complain AND leave!!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Perhaps, rather than trying to set up an impossible five hundred player server... create some new maps and get your friends interested in the game. Every individual player could easily take part in doubling our BZCommunity if this "decline" bothers you so much. :-) Setting up a five hundred player server, even if possible (or even a two hundred player one) would not cause more people to play the game, especially at this time of year.
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

understood. thanks for the ideas.
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

Winny wrote:Game < Life.
Well said! You can't play BZF without doing something for you in real life. It's a responsibility you have.
You can't do a 24h-BZF-party every weekend. One or two times in year, yes, but not the whole time.
Even the best players can't play 10 h without getting bored. Pretty much gamers have such ideas. But try to organize that, pretty impossible.

I said enough. xD