Don't ignore players that look like losers!

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Engineer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Don't ignore players that look like losers!

Post by Engineer »

I am posting this because i was playing BZFlag, and asked someone to tag with me to take out the flag, and no one came with me because of a -7 score of mine. Other day, I took the enemy flag about 2 times and had the flag on the battlefield of my team about 3 times. But I still had my score under 0. So, I don't pay attention to my score, only to the flag. I think that's the spirit of the CTF. I am not a new player, but I am still bad because I was not playing everyday. Now I am addicted, but I still need to learn how to dodge well... But I can make some destruction, laser spamming, and flag passing. As I can kill someone in very funny ways, I still die from shot myself. But i was worthy 5 points for the team. And, well, I like team work because I am not so good alone (but I should be). And because of my score, my teammates doesn't help me! I know, I die easily, but you could even try to help. It's really more difficult get fun alone for a newbie! :|
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

I don't think they ignored you because you are not a skilled player. For instance, many people do not try to coordinate CTF when I ask them, and I have been playing for probably three years. Most players just play independently, without team effort, at least on the public servers. There are, however, some league servers that you can play on, and you will find more team effort there.

Try not to get too addicted to this game; it'll ruin your relationships, school grades, and social life. :wink:
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Give in to the ways of BZFlag. *cackles maniacally*

First off, welcome. :-) Great to have another community member. Don't worry, in time, you'll get better. Watching players that have been on a long time helps in particular.

Okay, yeah, don't worry. They probably aren't ignoring you, and if they were, I doubt it would be because of your skill level. Usually, people play for a bit of quick shoot-em-up fun for themselves. As Enigma said, often, they are independent. :-P

Just keep trying, you'll find teamplayers. Leagues are great too.
my.bzflag.org/league
and
gu.bzleague.org

Don't play in the pillbox league. It's nasty. ;-)
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Don't play in the pillbox league. It's nasty.
Absolutely nasty. In case you want to try it out, the website is http://pillbox.bzleague.com

We're having a pickup tournament coming up shortly. It should be a great way to get started if you're still beginning to learn. Individual players sign up, and they're put into a random team that they stick with for 7 weeks. Each week, your team has to play one other team chosen based on your team's performance in previous rounds.

You only have until this Thursday at 9:00 am UTC to sign up.
Engineer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Engineer »

Enigma wrote:I don't think they ignored you because you are not a skilled player. For instance, many people do not try to coordinate CTF when I ask them, and I have been playing for probably three years. Most players just play independently, without team effort, at least on the public servers.
I think half is because they doesn't wanna tag because they just wanna shoot'em up, one said that it was because of my -7 score! I have reached -100, that is nothing! :p
Enigma wrote:There are, however, some league servers that you can play on, and you will find more team effort there.
Thank you for remember this, I forgot. But I looked at the leagues, the 3, and looks like the teams that are accepting players are just inactive. And I'd like to go to a team with at least 4 players (I am asking much?)

Enigma wrote:Try not to get too addicted to this game; it'll ruin your relationships, school grades, and social life. :wink:
Well, i'll play with caution!

And, well, I'll see if I can find/start a good team on a league. If someone knows a good server that you play (so far, I've played most Missile War and Planet MoFo) I'm open to suggestions.

See you on the battlefield!:)
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

I'm usually the quiet guy out there - if you even see me using this callsign, but just so you know someone with more than a few yrs of practice at this game looks out for the low scoring ppl and tries every now and then...

most of the time I play as a rogue. When I do play on a team, I will look at the lowest scoring team and join them.
Enigma wrote:Try not to get too addicted to this game; it'll ruin your relationships, school grades, and social life. :wink:
ditto, been there done that

strike that, doing it.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

But I looked at the leagues, the 3, and looks like the teams that are accepting players are just inactive. And I'd like to go to a team with at least 4 players (I am asking much?)
most teams are "closed" to avoid to much "movement" and there are teams that are willing to take "newbies" on board. (on GU check out ::: WTWRP, The Armoury, [RA] for example)
the best is to go through the team-pages and read their information's ::: send a bz-message to the team or the leader if you find a team you would like to join ::: and most important ::: get on the public server maps to meet the guys and play the map! all goes "automatically" from there on ...
(dont forget to get registered in the league you want to join and on their userlist to spawn on match-servers!)
the team-activity is your part! if you find a mate you get along well and he/she is online the same time as you ::: play these matches!
be aware ::: don't ruin your relationships, school grades, and social life ;-)
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

you dont have to join a team. i guess teamwork is better in a team (duh).
but on some servers eg badgerking i like to go on a crowded server as a rogue and help out another player. another way to get some respect as a team player and get them to forget your score is to help out another player for a while. eg. go on Bzflagr, then get seer flag. sit in the base andwarn the geno holder or the ST going for the flag of any possible risks that may effect them. if you help out a player for a bit then they will begin to respect you.
it may take a while to get alot of players respect but if you do then if they are well known then they will spread the word to other players, then you will get help with flag captures and the likes.

Well, that is the way i see it anyway.
so if you ever see me or SilentTank playing on missile wars, then feel free to ask for help in a flag capture. :wink:

im always happy to help
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Engineer wrote:
Enigma wrote:There are, however, some league servers that you can play on, and you will find more team effort there.
Thank you for remember this, I forgot. But I looked at the leagues, the 3, and looks like the teams that are accepting players are just inactive. And I'd like to go to a team with at least 4 players (I am asking much?)
Referring to the GU League.

Don't be fooled, most of those teams are accepting players.
Teams get rid of the option to join, because they don't want random players. The team I'm on for instance, we're not really in the hunt for anymore teammates, however, if a player asks to join, we'll consider the possibility to send them an invite.
Based on a few factors of coarse. :)

Click on a team, and read what they have on their team page. If you're interested, send the team a mail. Be sure to be polite!

Engineer wrote: Well, i'll play with caution!

And, well, I'll see if I can find/start a good team on a league. If someone knows a good server that you play (so far, I've played most Missile War and Planet MoFo) I'm open to suggestions.

See you on the battlefield!:)
You said you want to learn to dodge better, playing at any public HIX map can help. Most players there should be open to help you.
If not, tell me their name and I'll deal with it. ;)
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

another way to learn dodge skills is to go on, R3lax's dodge trainer. that is also effective.
i have noticed that you seem to enjoy misile wars.. on missile wars dodging is almost nonexistant, you cannot dodge GM, laser is... well laser and the normal bullets are set to a much faster speed than on normal servers.

a few other servers that help with dodge skills are Pillbox and Ducati(i think :D ).
i can give you one good tip for dodging, dont jump unless you have to (which means practice practice practice) because as soon as you jump your pretty much dead.
and learn how to rico, i know from experience that it can get you out of smoe very sticky situations.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Zac wrote:and learn how to rico, i know from experience that it can get you out of smoe very sticky situations.
And to do this effectively, you'd have to learn to use your radar effectively. :)

There's soo much more to BZ then people first think. :)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Longhair wrote:
Don't play in the pillbox league. It's nasty.
Absolutely nasty. In case you want to try it out, the website is http://pillbox.bzleague.com
:P

If you're new to the game, the pillbox style is an excellent way to learn dodging, teamwork, etc.

Find GU or Ducati to work on more complex dodging and ricochets, though. :)
Engineer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Engineer »

I have entered in a team in the GU and Ducati leagues, they are inactive from a while, but i'll try to get them back to the challenges. I'm in the pickup tournament, just for fun. I still need more training, but i am getting better. And less team killer (except with GM stay away from me!) The problem is only the time... I can play from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm GMT. Some players doesn't play this time.
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

10 am to 10 pm?

That is a hard 12-hours bzflag work time. But the more the better ;-)
A lot of players from europe have no time to play at 10 am. And in US, its way earlier.

I think the better way is to join an active team and play, instead of trying to "awaken" a dead or comatose team. Usually they have reasons for not playing.

Just look at the latter which of the teams are really active and ask nicely. But dont start at asking the top 5 Teams; these ones often consists of players playing for years together and dont really need new players. If they want you, they ask you.

The easiest way is to show up on the public servers, the rest goes automatically - as zaphod mentioned.
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jpenguin »

there are some players that want everyone with a negative score off the team, I personally think the lower your score is- the better- it just means you aren't afraid to take risk.
osuhockey
Private
Private

Re: Don't ignore players that look like losers!

Post by osuhockey »

well, That does it. Today on a server I was silenced because my own team mates got annoyed with me because i kept nagging them to help capture the flag.........what a shame