Missile Wars 2

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
AD Epoch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Missile Wars 2

Post by AD Epoch »

I don't know if this is the best place to talk about this, but didn't know where else to bring it up.

I have been playing Missile Wars 2 a lot and am enjoying it for the most part, but have noticed an error in the map. When jumping into the red base from the "left" as the red base looks out you can get "caught" on aparently nothing and fall straight out of the sky instead of continuing on the trajectory.

Also i think green has an advantage over red in that red stands out against all surfaces easily on the map. I would suggest red was replaced with purple, which doesn't stand out as much.

Also the lag limit is so hard to meet if you come from the southern hemisphere, as I do. I have broadband, but keep getting kicked for lag like 274 ms. Light takes less than a second to go around globe, so 274ms is actually quite good if you think about it.

How do we make suggestions for the map servers like these?

Thanks,

AD
Shalom BahShem
Yehoshua, Meshiakh
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Missile Wars 2

Post by z[h]ero »

AD Epoch wrote:How do we make suggestions for the map servers like these?
During in-game you type:

Code: Select all

/report Your suggestion comes here
Reports only support about 128 characters. So you would need to split longer messages into separate reports.
AD Epoch wrote:Also the lag limit is so hard to meet if you come from the southern hemisphere, as I do. I have broadband, but keep getting kicked for lag like 274 ms.
Questionable, whether the server-owner would change the lag-kick limit.
AD Epoch wrote:Light takes less than a second to go around globe, so 274ms is actually quite good if you think about it.
133ms it needs around the globe, btw.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

yeah i think the lag kick is to low.

the 340 lag kick was good, it attracted heaps more players and all the aussie players could play.
also because of the shot speed on all the flags it didnt really make much difference i found and that most players all new well how to deal with the extra lag.
however the colours are good
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

After a player has about 300ms of lag, it is almost impossible to hit them without a spray of bullets.

The lagwarm/kick stays at 270ms.

For the color thing, we'd need to have a player poll, no sense in changing it if everyone else thinks it's fine.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

eh, your choice you run the server :o
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

AD Epoch wrote:I have been playing Missile Wars 2 a lot and am enjoying it for the most part...
Also the lag limit is so hard to meet if you come from the southern hemisphere, as I do. I have broadband, but keep getting kicked for lag like 274 ms.
You could also suggest to the server-owner to set up a second duplication of this map, however with another less strictly lag-kick warning, for example 500ms.
Alternatively you could host the map on your own server or let the map host for you, if the map has the according license, or if the map-creator let host you his map.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

AD Epoch wrote:
I have been playing Missile Wars 2 a lot and am enjoying it for the most part, but have noticed an error in the map. When jumping into the red base from the "left" as the red base looks out you can get "caught" on aparently nothing and fall straight out of the sky instead of continuing on the trajectory.
Are you sure this is not just the edge of the map? I've been playing Missile Wars for a long time and have never noticed this.

And for the colors, well... they're most likely not going to change, but if you use your radar most of the time (which most experienced players do), it's easier to see green.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

z[h]ero that is a good idea, it would be nice for winny to host another missile wars with a higher lag kick, but it is winnys choice.
but i think it is an excellent choice, it gives the players the choice if lag bothers them or not.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I am sorry you suffer with lag, Zac. I understand that is frustrating... been there before. :-) Still am, sometimes.
I don't think that you'll see MissileWar2 breaking up in to two servers. That would divide the community playing and both servers would fall apart.
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

this has become just another lag problem i see.
and for jumping into bases sometimes if you're right on the edge you do get caught, where you drop right onto the corner of the wall tower, dunno why though.
AD Epoch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AD Epoch »

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm taking it all on board. And thanks for the advice on reports.

The place where you get caught is above the red bases wall. Far left as a red tanks looks out. I use it to my advantage some times, but I'm sure it is a glitch.

On the whole Missile Wars 2 is my favourite map.
Shalom BahShem
Yehoshua, Meshiakh
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

your right ducatiwannabe, why should i let one players lag effect everyone :cry: :D
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Just some ideas about how to break this server into 2 maps:
A server-message should be added on the strict-lag-map-version which adverts to the server-adress of the tolerant-lag-version, so laggy people (who read server messages) could join the appropriate Missle War version.
Analogically the version with the tolerant-lag setting could advise to the server adress of the second Missle War version, in order to clarify the non-laggy people about the other map.
Additionally both Missle War maps should mention their lag-limit-setting in the server-list map-title, for logical reasons.
(Questionable whether enough laggy people will be available to deliver enough players for the tolerant-lag version, however temporary it could work)
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

z[h]ero wrote:Just some ideas about how to break this server into 2 maps:
A server-message should be added on the strict-lag-map-version which adverts to the server-adress of the tolerant-lag-version, so laggy people (who read server messages) could join the appropriate Missle War version.
Analogically the version with the tolerant-lag setting could advise to the server adress of the second Missle War version, in order to clarify the non-laggy people about the other map.
Additionally both Missle War maps should mention their lag-limit-setting in the server-list map-title, for logical reasons.
(Questionable whether enough laggy people will be available to deliver enough players for the tolerant-lag version, however temporary it could work)
How would this help? There are only so many players... that is the issue. The lag is secondary. There are not enough players to support 2 versions of this map, and spreading what you have across 2 servers will kill them both. Also, your idea requires them to read the messages. They don't read the rules already, more messages isn't going to make things clearer. There are plenty of servers (too many in fact, for the number of players) find one that your lag is good on and play there. The easiest way to make a server more popular is to play there regularly, so others see it on the list. It may start slow at first, but stick with it and they will come. LaserMania was not a hit overnight (for those of you who were around), it was out for weeks before it took off...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

joevano wrote:There are only so many players... that is the issue. The lag is secondary. There are not enough players to support 2 versions of this map...There are plenty of servers (too many in fact, for the number of players) find one that your lag is good on and play there. The easiest way to make a server more popular is to play there regularly, ...
The topic of this thread is not how to get more people playing Missle War. The topic is how we could help laggy Missle War fans to play on their favorite map, as in the actual situation they CAN'T play on their favorite map.
joevano wrote:How would this help?
This would give laggy Missle War fans the chance to play on a Missle War duplication with a more tolerant lag limit, like I explained in my post. As now they get kicked by the server for their lag.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

The topic is about lag at Missile War 2, we have established that, z[h]ero. :) Only thing is, the amount of players that visit this map is part of the lag issue. They really go hand-in-hand. (Eww, right? :P)

Joevano said it pretty perfectly. Two servers would kill both of them.
They don't read the rules already, more messages isn't going to make things clearer.
This is a good point. Most people just see "Missile War 2" and visit. They don't bother to check the lagwarn posted. Time after time, a non-laggy player would join the "laggy server", and a laggy player would join the original one. The result is bound to be frustration on both ends. It wouldn't fix the lag problem. It may even add to it.

Furthermore, Missile War often averages about thirteen players per team. It is always most interesting when there are ten players or more on both sides. Cut that in half, and you may see six to seven players at both servers max. Many people may get bored and leave altogether because of the divided community.

We could argue with all sorts of reasoning on both sides; yours, and ours. But the bottom line is, and I hate to sound this blunt, we can't adjust how the majority of the servers are run or their settings to help a few players who struggle with lag (not many have over 300/400 on a lot of servers). If I could without majorly affecting the other players, I would. Believe me, I feel for you. :)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I think you guys are missing the true solution here: Move to the USA! ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

i think joevanos suggestion was good, but im not on often enough to do that, and ill have to find a server that is in a location where lots of people can play, is new zealand good??
AD Epoch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AD Epoch »

ducatiwannabe wrote:Many people may get bored and leave altogether because of the divided community.
Well the commmunity is lready divided between those who get kicked off and those who don't, so I think thats a weak argument.

However I concede that most players are closer to the US, and well it's hard to argue against democracy (not that I'd want to anyway).

Maybe someone should make a map similar, but remove the bad things (like geno(I know i'll get stick for that one)) and add some other interesting things in.

The problem is mainly that the best maps are served in places a long way North.

I agree with whoever said that we should make more maps (it might have been on a different thread).

Is making maps on BZFlag as easy as Doom2, I've made them before.
Shalom BahShem
Yehoshua, Meshiakh
AD Epoch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AD Epoch »

On another topic, I changed computers recently as my good one is about to get repaired, and on my old one when I jump and spin I don't automatically do a 180 degree jump, it's almost like there is a small amount of momentum (without having the flag) and I have to pick up spin speed before it will do a 180. It makes it a little harder. Is there a setting for this? I've tried looking but i can't see anything?

Thanks
Shalom BahShem
Yehoshua, Meshiakh
AD Epoch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AD Epoch »

Not many peopel have commented on the getting caught in the air while jumping into the red base? Does it only happen to a few people? I use it to my advantage some times, but I'm sure it shouldn't happen.
Shalom BahShem
Yehoshua, Meshiakh
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

i was on breifly and some guy got accused of cheating because it happened to him. it may cause trouble
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

ahh yeah as i said it is a glitch i think, i've done it severaly times if i just jump right along the edge, i would get caught by some invisible wall right at the edge of the other base. I remember someone telling me about this quite a few months back, didn't think it was a problem though.
jinx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jinx »

I've played MW2, and I've gotten caught by the edge of the map glitch also. Many times. Some while admins have been observing me, and have commented that they don't know why it happens, nor why it catches a player.
If you think I was mean, please tell me. I was actually going for NASTY!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

From what I've noticed, it actually takes a very specific approach on the jumper to trigger the glitch. I've hugged the map edge all the way to the red base platform from there, but if I alter my direction of entry on the jumper just slightly, I get "caught". Can be useful sometimes (such as when the red flag is in their left alcove), annoying other times (such as when the red flag is still on their platform).

It sometimes makes me wonder if the glitch can also be triggered on the other jumpers and it's just a matter of finding the correct angles and curves of approach.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)