Guide on How to Run a BZFlag Server on Mac OS X

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
gamercolin
Private First Class
Private First Class

download link

Post by gamercolin »

download link not working ?
blast
General
General

Re: download link

Post by blast »

gamercolin wrote:download link not working ?
I think it is working now, assuming you're referring to the first link on the first post of this thread. If not, be more specific.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

gamercolin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gamercolin »

srr need te wait 5 min then it started

Code: Select all

claire:~ claire$ /bzfs.txt 
/bzfs.txt: line 1: /Applications/BZFlag/BZFlag-2.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/bzfs: No such file or directory
1. i have ne bzflag folder in my app
2. then the other /... doesnt exist
Help Me ! SOS ! :shock:
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You're probably not using 2.0.2 for your bzflag version. If you do, that's ancient. Keep in mind that even running a 2.0.8 server isn't the best to do, since it's vulnerable to an anonymous spam exploit.

Running a server is not for the unexperienced user. If you can't manage to navigate your file system, you probably shouldn't be running a server.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

gamercolin
Private First Class
Private First Class

fixed

Post by gamercolin »

i fixed but i am stuck i cant fix this problem

claire:~ claire$ /Applications/BZflag/bzfs.txt 

conf.conf: error: could not find bzflag configuration file

ERROR: Unable to start the server, perhaps one is already running?

claire:~ claire$ 
gamercolin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gamercolin »

is there an specific port i need to open ?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The port you're using. Defaults to 5154, both TCP and UDP.

A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

gamercolin wrote:is there an specific port i need to open ?
blast wrote:The port you're using. Defaults to 5154, both TCP and UDP.
You not only need to open port 5154, if you have a router, you must forward it to your internal NAT IP address (otherwise the router will not have a clue where to send the BZFS game packets to what computer). See http://portforward.com for more details on how.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Pizzahead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pizzahead »

Last edited by Pizzahead on Sat May 23, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jpenguin »

if you want to run bzfs on MacOS X, it can be handy to open ~/.profile with a test editor- and type

alias bzfs="/Applications/BZFlag.app/Contents/MacOS/bzfs"
alias bzadmin="/Applications/BZFlag.app/Contents/MacOS/bzadmin"
Of ccourse you would replace "/Applications/BZFlag.app" with the path for BZFlag on your4 computer.

Make sure to save this file with Unix (LF) line endings. If you use TextEdit.app, make sure to save it as plain text (not rtf). I personally use http://smultron.sourceforge.net/ for text, it has easy changing off line-endings.

Once you have done this, you will be able to type "bzfs" instead of "/Applications/BZFlag.app/Contents/MacOS/bzfs"
ideveloper
Private
Private

help

Post by ideveloper »

i enter the ./bzfs.txt and it come back -bash: ./bzfs.txt: No such file or directory
blast
General
General

Re: help

Post by blast »

my mommy feeds me apples wrote:i enter the ./bzfs.txt and it come back -bash: ./bzfs.txt: No such file or directory
You should probably learn how to use your computer before you try running a server.

zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

before you even try to launch bzfs, you should also test if your map will start up!
just starting to read your bzw file ::: i saw already on top this line in the options :::
-mp 55,5,0,15,15,0,20

bzfs will not start up with your map file ::: you got to many "players"!
(rogue,red,green,blue,purple,observer = 6 numbers!)
plus if you set the CTF style with 2 teams, assign at least 1 player to each team (you chose 2=Green, 3=Blue)
-mp 0,0,2,2,0,20
-mp 5,0,2,2,0,20 (add some Rouges if you want to disturb the CTF)

this way ::: bzfs could start up to begin with!!

a great app for the mac is iBZServer (THX MACnus) where you can test a map before even trying to get bzfs started!

patience ::: we all started to learn it the way you're doing it
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Guide on How to Run a BZFlag Server on Mac OS X

Post by Cheese Man »

Is there any way to add a password config file to the map as text?
-Cheese Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

actually, i used the instructions and they work, I also have a homepage (bzflagcheese.wetpaint.com), I just don't know how to connect it to the port i'm using and so get the server up and running.

Please help me :(
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You can't have a server password in a map file. It should go in your configuration file that you use to load your map.

As for your "homepage", I don't think you understand anything about that. You can't run a server from that hostname, as it's not pointing to your machine. It's just some free webhost. You need to have a computer that you control in some way (a home computer or a dedicated server) that you can run bzfs on, and then have a hostname that points to that computer's public IP address. If this seems confusing, then you shouldn't be running a server.

Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

I have a computer I can run bzfs on, the only part I don't understand is to "have a hostname that points to that computer's public IP address."

If you could explain it to me or point me to where it would explain it, that would be great. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks! :mrgreen:
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Well, let me see it I can explain this...

You need to have a hostname (i.e. bzflag3.norang.ca) that you have made DNS record for that points to you public IP address. You would get that hostname from the dynamic DNS provider you are using, or by purchasing a domain name from a registrar, and setting up DNS to point to your public ip address (only recommended if you have a static IP, otherwise it gets a bit more complicated). If this seems confusing, then you shouldn't be running a server.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

also, how do you place the config file inside terminal? Is it just drag and drop?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Ok, you really need to do some research on using your computer... there are lots of issues that you need an intimate understanding of (for security and other reasons) that you don't seem to have a handle on at this point in time.
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

Which ones? I know a lot about macs, and I'm not sure what I still need to know.

Also, i figured out the answer to my last question, forgive my stupidity.

I'm sorry if I annoy anyone, I'm just very curious as to how this all works. I have played BZFlag for a long time, now I want to get started on getting into the little details that go on behind the scenes.

When I enter the code into terminal, it spits this out "bad argument "Test"
BZFlag server 2.0.10.20071129-MAINT-darwin8.10.1-SDL (protocol 0026) http://BZFlag.org/
Copyright (c) 1993 - 2007 Tim Riker

Usage: bzfs [-a <vel> <rot>] [-adminlagannounce <time/ms>] [-admsg <text>] [-advertise <group,group...>] [-autoTeam] [-b] [-badwords <filename>] [-ban ip{,ip}*] [-banfile <filename>] [-c] [-cache <url prefix>] [-cacheout <filename>] [-conf <filename>] [-cr] [-d] [-density <num>] [-disableBots] [+f {good|<id>}] [-f {bad|<id>}] [-fb] [-filterCallsigns] [-filterChat] [-filterSimple] [-g] [-gndtex <texture name>] [-groupdb <group file>] [-h] [-handicap] [-helpmsg <file> <name>] [-i interface] [-j] [-jitterdrop <num>] [-jitterwarn <time/ms>] [-lagannounce <time/ms>] [-lagdrop <num>] [-lagwarn <time/ms>] [-loadplugin <pluginname,commandline>] [-masterBanURL <URL>] [-maxidle <time/s>] [-mp {<count>|[<count>][,<count>][,<count>][,<count>][,<count>][,<count>]}] [-mps <score>] [-ms <shots>] [-mts <score>] [-noMasterBanlist] [-noradar] [-p <port>] [-packetlossdrop <num>] [-packetlosswarn <%>] [-passdb <password file>] [-passwd <password>] [-pidfile <filename>] [-poll <variable>=<value>] [-printscore] [-public <server-description>] [-publicaddr <server-hostname>[:<server-port>]] [-publiclist <list-server-url>] [-q] [+r] [-rabbit [score|killer|random]] [-recbuf <Mbytes>] [-recbufonly] [-recdir <dirname>] [-replay] [-reportfile <filename>] [-reportpipe <filename>] [-requireudp] [+s <flag-count>] [-s <flag-count>] [-sa] [-sb] [-set <name> <value>] [-setforced <name> <value>] [-sl <id> <num>] [-spamtime <time>] [-spamwarn <warnAmt>] [-speedtol <tolerance>] [-srvmsg <text>] [-st <time>] [-sw <num>] [-synctime] [-synclocation] [-t] [-tftimeout <seconds>] [-time <seconds>] [-timemanual] [-tk] [-tkannounce] [-tkkr <percent>] [-ts [micros]] [-userdb <user permissions file>] [-vars <filename>] [-version] [-world <filename>] [-worldsize <world size>] [-ws <number of wall sides>] ", then when I try to get onto the server using the application, it says "Error connecting to server" I'm using localhost, and port 5154. Please help me.

PS I also entered my IP into the conf file.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Well it would appear that you have a problem in your configuration file. Post it here without the password (if you have one set up).
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

Okay, here it is "# -a velocity rotation
# Enables inertia and sets the maximum linear and angular accelerations. The units are somewhat arbitrary so you'll have to experiment to find suitable values. The values must be non-negative and higher values yield greater inertia.
-admsg "Remember: Now swearing, cheating or teamkilling. Be nice and enjoy you'r stay!"
# Define a message which will be broadcast to all players every 15 minutes. This option can be used multiple times to define a multiline message.
-autoTeam
# Automatically assign players to teams when they connect so that there are an equal number of players on all available teams. Players are placed on teams that have the fewest players; otherwise they will be placed on the weakest team. Weakest team is the team with the lowest combined kill ratio.
# -b
# When -c is supplied, this option randomly rotates the buildings.
# -badwords badwordfile
# Specify a file that contains bad words that will be used when either -filterCallsigns or -filterChat is enabled.
# -ban ip{,ip}*
# Prohibits connections from the listed IP addresses. Trailing 255 bytes are treated as mask bytes.
# -banfile filename
# Specifies the name of a file where bzfs will store the banlist. It will load the banlist from this file when it starts (if the file exists), and write the banlist back to the file when someone gets banned or unbanned. If this option isn't given the banlist will not be saved.
-c
# Enables the capture-the-flag style game. By default this allocates one team flag per team. This can be modified see +f team. By default, the free-for-all style is used.
# -cache worldCacheURL
# Specifies the URL for the world cache file. This is a binary file that clients will attempt to download before getting the world from the bzfs server.
# -cacheout filename
# Save the currently specified world into a binary cache file and exit.
# -cr
# Enables the capture-the-flag style game with random map. You can optionally specify a building density by providing a number (default is 5). One team flag per team is provided, but more can be added thru +f team. By default, the free-for-all style is used.
-d -d
# Increase debugging level. If more -d is given, more debugging info is obtained.
# -density num
# Specify density for buildings, i.e. the higher the integer number, the more buildings you will get. This applies to automatically generated maps only.
-disableBots
# Disallow clients from using the ROGER autopilot or from using robots.
# +f {good|bad|teamflag-id}[{count}]
# Forces the existence of the given flag. If specified multiple times for the same flag-id, then that many flags will appear. The good argument is equivalent to specifying +f once for each kind of good flag. Same goes for the bad argument. The team argument adds a team flag to each team, assuming that the game style is capture the flag. The optional {count} parameter allows the specification of multiple flags of the same type. Note that the curly braces are required.
+s 20
-s 25
-f JP
-f R
# Disallows random flags of the given type. Required flags given by the +f option are still provided. The bad argument is equivalent to specifying -f once for each kind of bad flag. Same goes for good, but you probably do not want to do that. An example of running a server with 40 to 50 flags except genocide would be "+s40 -s50 -f G". Similarly, "+f good{40} +f bad{10} -f G{40}" would give you exactly 40 good flags except genocide and 10 of each bad flag.
-fb
# Allow flags on box buildings.
# -filterCallsigns
# Turn on the filtering of callsigns and email addresses. Callsigns and addresses are compared against bad words provided via -badwords.
# -filterChat
# Turn on the filtering of chat messages. Messages have words provided via a -badwords file are replaced with !@#$%^&* characters.
# -filterSimple
# By default, all filtering is aggressive, matching much more than what is strictly listed in a -badwords file for convenience. Providing this option will make the -filterCallsigns and -filterChat comparisons exact match only.
# -g
# Quit after serving one game.
# -groupdb file
# Load groups from file
# -h
# Buildings are given random heights.
# -handicap
# Players are given a handicap advantage based on their ability in relation to the other players. Handicapped players will have faster tanks and shots. The handicap is determined by the player's score in relation to other players.
# -help
# Shows a help page and lists all the valid flag id's.
# -helpmsg file name
# Create a help message accessible by /help name, which prints the contents of file. Restricted to 10 lines per help message.
# -i interface
# Server will listen for and respond to ``pings'' (sent via broadcast) on the given interface. Clients use this to find active servers on the network. This is the TCP/UDP/IP address the server will listen on.
-j
# Allows jumping.
-lagdrop 3
# Kicks players after warn-count lag warnings.
-lagwarn 300
# Send warnings to players that lag more than time.
# -masterBanURL URL/s
# Specify alternate URLs for the master ban file to be pulled from. This argument may be provided multiple times.
-maxidle 180
# Kick players that did not play longer than time seconds. Pausing players are not kicked. If a player uttered a word recently, he will be kicked after thrice the given time.
-mp 1,5,5,0,0,2
# Sets the maximum number of players, total or per team. A single value sets the total number of players allowed. Five comma separated values set the maximum for each team. If a count is left blank then no limit is set for that team, except for the limit on the total number of players. Both forms may be provided.
# -mps max-score
# Sets a maximum score for individual players. The first player to reach this score is declared the winner and the game is over.
-ms 10
# Allows up to shots simultaneous shots for each player. This is 1 by default.
# -mts max-score
# Sets a maximum score for teams. The first team to reach this score is declared the winner and the game is over.
# -noMasterBanList
# Forces the server to not attempt to load the master ban list from the internet.

-p 5154
# Listen for game connections on port instead of the default port. Use -help to print the default port, or use -d debug printing.

# -passdb file
# Load passwords from file

-passwd
# Specify a server administrator password for use in remote administration such as /kick messages.

# -pidfile filename
# Specify a file where the server will write its process ID so it may be used for remote administration.
# -poll variable=value
# Configure several aspects of the in-game polling system
# banTime
# number of minutes player should be banned (default is 300)
# vetoTime
# max seconds authorized user has to abort poll (default is 20)
# votePercentage
# percentage of players required to affirm a poll (default is 50.1%)
# voteRepeatTime
# minimum seconds required before a player may request another vote (default is 300)
# votesRequired
# minimum number of additional votes required to make a vote valid (default is 2)
# voteTime
# maximum amount of time player has to vote, in seconds (default is 60)
# -printscore
# Write score to stdout whenever it changes
# -public This is the Cheese Man test server. any comments are welcome.
# Advertise this server on the internet with the given description. By default, a server will respond to broadcast queries, allowing clients to find servers running on the standard port on the local subnet. The -public option causes the server to register itself with a list server, which clients can query to get a list of bzfs servers.

-publicaddr vnc://192.168.1.200/
# Advertise this server with the given address and port. Only has an effect when used with -public. Normally a server advertises itself at the local address and port. Some servers are not accessible from the internet at this address (for example servers behind a firewall using Network Address Translation). Use this option to specify the address and/or port that internet users should use to access this server.

# -publiclist http://my.BZFlag.org:81/db/
# Advertise this server on the list servers listed at url. Only has an effect when used with -public. A built-in url is used by default. The BZFlag clients use the same built-in url so, by default, clients will see public servers automatically. This argument may be provided multiple times to publicize a server to multiple list servers.
# -q
# If specified, the server will not listen for nor respond to ``pings''. BZFlag sends out these pings to give the user a list of available servers. This effectively makes the server private, especially if the -p option is also used.
+r
# Makes most shots ricochet. Super bullets, shock waves, and guided missiles do not.
# -rabbit [score|killer|random]
# Enables the rabbit-hunt style game. By default, the free-for-all style is used. You must specify the algorithm used to pick a new rabbit when the old one dies. The score algorithm uses a modified wins/(wins+losses) score and picks the top scoring player to be the new rabbit. The killer algorithm specifies a reverse tag game where whomever kills the rabbit becomes the new rabbit. The random algorithm randomly picks a new rabbit without regard to score. (The score algorithm is the original behavior.)
# -recbuf size
# Start with the recording buffer active, with the specified size (in megabytes).
# -recdir directory
# Specify the directory for record and replay files.
# -replay
# Start the server in replay mode.
# -reportfile filename
# Write messages to the server admin written using the /report command to this file. If neither -reportfile or -reportpipe is used the /report command will be disabled.
# -reportpipe command
# Pipe messages to the server admin written using the /report command to this program or shell command. See -reportfile.
# -requireidentify
# Require clients register and identify before they can spawn.
-requireudp
# Require clients to use parallel UDP. If players fire before opening a UDP channel, kick them off the server.
#+s num-flags
# The server will have an extra num-flags random super flags available at all times. The -f option can be used to restrict which types of flags will be added. Required flags given by the +f option are not included in the num-flags total.
#-s num-flags
# The server will have up to num-flags random super flags available at any time. The -f option can be used to restrict which types of flags will be added. Required flags given by the +f option are not included in the num-flags total.
# -sa
# Antidote flags are provided for players with bad flags.
-sb
# Allow spawns on box buildings.
# -set name value
# Set BZDB variable name to value
# -sl id num
# Restrict flag id to num shots.
-spamtime 5
# Make <time> be the required time in seconds between messages sent that are alike.
-spamwarn 4
# Warn a spammer that sends messages before -spamtime times out <warnLimit> many times.
# -speedtol factor
# Override the default speed auto kick factor. The factor should not be less then 1.0. The factor is a multiplier.
# -srvmsg message
# Define a server welcome message. This option can be used multiple times to define a multiline message.
-st 6
# Bad flags are automatically dropped after time seconds.
# -sw count
# Bad flags are automatically dropped after count wins. Capturing a team flag does not count as a win.
# -synctime
# Forces all clients to use the same time of day. The current time is determined by the server's clock. This disables the + and - keys on the clients.
# -t
# Adds teleporters to the game.
# -tftimeout time-limit
# If the last player in a team leaves while someone else is carrying the team flag, the team flag will not reset until it is captured, or until the player drops it and it is left alone for some time. This option specifies the number of seconds that the flag should be left alone before it is reset. The default value is 30.
# -time time-limit
# Sets a time limit on the game to time-limit. The game will be stopped time-limit seconds after the first player connects.
# -timemanual
# When using -time, the countdown will start when the first player joins. With -timemanual, the countdown has to be started manually using the /countdown command. This is useful for matches.
# -tk
# Changes the default behavior where a player dies when he kills a teammate. When using this option, he will just get a -1 score penalty for the kill but stay alive.
# -tkkr percent
# Kicks players whose team killing to normal kill ratio is greater than percent [1-100]. A start up grace period is given to players.
# -userdb file
# Load group associations from file
# -vars file
# Loads values for game configurable variables from file. Entries are one per line in the form: set variable value. For a list of variables that are configurable, in the BZFlag client, send a message with /set as the text.
# -version
# Prints the version number of the executable.
-world map.bzw
# Reads a specific BZFlag .bzw world layout file for the game map.
# -worldsize world-size
# Changes the size for random maps"

It's the one from the package :mrgreen:
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Well first off... vnc://192.168.1.200 is not a public address, nor is it even routable if it were. It looks like your public ip address is currently 69.178.69.229, but it looks like it could be a dynamic IP subject to change.

What are +s and -s? I am unfamiliar with them.

Now this is just a cursory look at it, there may be more wrong. The best thing to do is comment out all lines with # and uncomment one at a time as you start the server to test it. When you get an error, you will know that that specific option is wrong.

Also, when posting a large amount of text like this, do it as an attachment please.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

To get rid of that error, "bad argument 'test'", try getting rid of that mass of commented out lines. This should be all that you should have in your conf file:

-admsg "Remember: Now swearing, cheating or teamkilling. Be nice and enjoy you'r stay!"
-autoTeam
-c
-d -d
-disableBots
+s 20
-s 25
-f JP
-f R
-fb
-j
-lagdrop 3
-lagwarn 300
-maxidle 180
-mp 1,5,5,0,0,2
-ms 10
-p 5154
-passwd
-publicaddr vnc://192.168.1.200/
+r
-requireudp
-sb
-spamtime 5
-spamwarn 4
-st 6
-world map.bzw
If that doesn't fix it, there is a problem, because the word "test" is not in your config, so it can't be an argument at all, let alone a bad one. ;)