All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
papercut
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZAnywhere, revisited and different direction

Post by papercut »

The post here:

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7044

is a pretty active topic about a BZFlag LiveCD. I know there are a lot of LiveCD distros that include BZFlag (maybe even the linux gamer's LiveCD), but it *would* be neat to see one dedicated to BZFlag.

I've got alpha access to SUSE Studio (http://susestudio.com) and have been tinkering with building an image of openSUSE 11.1 for a flash drive or CD/DVD that could include BZFlag. My original posts start on page 5 of the previous topic (including some simple screenshots).

If there's enough interest in this, I'd be happy to work on the project. Here's my thoughts:
  • openSUSE is a stable distribution and SUSE Studio allows for rapid development of 'appliances'.
  • It would be easy to brand the disc with BZFlag logos.
  • nVidia and ATI drivers are easy to install in openSUSE and something could probably be worked up for support (lots of driver questions in the previous post).
  • A lightwieght window manager like FluxBox or TWM could be used rather than an entire desktop environment, allowing more room for BZFlag branding/links and cleaning up any distraction from the game/community.
  • Links to community resources, irc, and fan sites could be provided.
  • A custom background and splash screen would be trivial to incorporate.
  • A dedicated server version could be created with scripts to run specific config files.
That's about all I've got right now. Ideas, thoughts? Do I smell bad? :P

Thanks!
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZAnywhere, revisited and different direction

Post by ducktape »

I Think it is kind of useless. I mean why would you really want to boot up a jumpdrive, or enter a cd to play bzflag when you already have it setup on your system? I think the your efforts could be used elsewhere.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

ducktape
The point of this is so you can go across the world, forget your laptop, and still have BZFlag.
Not to mention, many, many people have shown interest in something like this, including you.

Just in case you don't believe me: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=89401#p89401
papercut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by papercut »

Also, it'd be great for a lan party. Nobody has to download or install anything, just pop in a CD or flash drive and everyone can play. You could even run dedicated servers with it relatively easy if there were pre-existing configs.

I only brought it up because I have access to SUSE Studio, so making images would be cake. You could also give it to friends who haven't played or may have issues installing it.
Amoeba
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Amoeba »

The only use I see would be if I went to my windows-user-has-no-clue-what-BZFlag-is friend's house, I could pop it in and show her. That's about it.
papercut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by papercut »

It was just a thought.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Me1: Yeah i remember when i first started bz i posted in that thread. But it also seems like people can do this themselves, by installing it on a flashdrive.

Papercut: In my experience with live cd's and such like the linux gamersliveCD it caused jit and lag. the whole thing runs slower because its reading from a disc. maybe this is just me i'm not sure. and my experience with live cd's is not much.
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

There are many problems with this idea. First, BZFlag would start slower from a live CD. Second, as you said, there are many live CD distros that have BZFlag, so one dedicated to BZFlag would be kinda pointless. Third, your live CD can't possibly have device drivers for all possible sound and video cards people could have in their computers, so it might not work very well for everyone. Fourth, BZFlag can be installed on just about any operating system anybody uses, so having it on a live CD is not necessary. The only reason I could think of this being useful is if you're showing BZFlag to a friend, and his Internet connection is too slow to download it. Of course, then he couldn't really play because of lag. So I think there is no real need for this. However, if you have fun making it, ignore that. Some people think RatBZEdit is not really necessary because there are so many map editors out there already. But I continue to develop it because I enjoy making it. Anyway, that's just my opinion.
FKA Ratfink
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Here's an idea: How about you get all your friends/relatives addicted to BZ! Then, when you're over there, you can use their computer without having to boot from a CD! Either that, or just install the program on their computer. Not every BIOS has it set to boot from the CD drive first, so the LiveCD idea could be hit-or-miss on Some Machines.

On another note, most dedicated BZ players (the ones that would actually use the LiveCD) have their own preferences saved, keys remapped, and the radar certainly bumped up from the atrocious default value. So I could see problems with having to reset preferences every sinngle time you reboot. Of course, you could always circumvent that problem by installing it on something rewritable (such as a USB flash/hard drive). But try booting from that on an unedited BIOS! *cue awkward moment where friend sees you swiping F keys during bootup, calls you haxx0r, cuts off power, hurts you badly*

> The point of this is so you can go across the world, forget your laptop,
> and still have BZFlag.

Unless you go across the world and forget your BZAnywhere disc too... ;-)
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

papercut, it was a good idea. and one that i would like for you to continue working on. im sure there are people out there who also support your idea..keep up the good work 8)
Tanx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanx »

It remindes me of a demo CD a little. Some people (I'm not one of them) think a game must have a CD in order to get their attention. I like this idea, nice work :)
known as: Tanx, Eoncho, ckw.
Bzflag player since 2001.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Tanx, something like... this? ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I believe I have the only production copy of that CD. Come on people, I feel lonely... support BZFlag and buy a CD or even better a T-Shirt. :P
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Tanx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanx »

Something like yes, but that CD I think has to be installed correct? If it does the one papercut's proposing won't have to be installed (some people might not want to install it until they see if it will interest them). One T-Shirt is fine right now thank you (by the way I'm wearing it) :wink:
known as: Tanx, Eoncho, ckw.
Bzflag player since 2001.