Ratfink's BZFlag Tutorial - 1. The MoFo Jump

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I am currently working on a set of animations designed to teach people various tricks in BZFlag. The first one is about the MoFo Jump, a trick to get to a box directly above you that can't ordinarily be reached. If you have any questions or comments, please post them here.
Attachments
tut_1.gif (95.17 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
FKA Ratfink
blast
General
General

Re: Ratfink's BZFlag Tutorial - 1. The MoFo Jump

Post by blast »

Guess I don't see the point of having it as a GIF animation... Couldn't you just have the text written out and embed those screenshots onto the post? Or even do it as a whole web site of tricks. Cool tip though.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

i thought i was called the spin jump. i use it every where on badgers. it is also handey when your on a verthin ledge so you cant get much runnup to get to the next one. just do the same thing.

oh, and if you dont get it the first time then donnt give up. its all practice :P
A book with letters
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A book with letters »

hey ratfink, nice post, now i can kill you on your own map
I am an awesome Austrian-American
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I love that trick, I used that a few times. I incorporated a platform like that in my map.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Indeed, like Blast told, a static document containing the trick-description and the picture (for example embedded in a PDF-file) would have several advantages compared to your GIF animation. Specially non native english speakers could read a static document unhurriedly, and wouldn't need to watch the long animation several times (time-consuming) in order to translate the whole text.

Anyway, a really awesome trick! (After many pathetic trials, I finally managed the trick one time)
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

Anyways, I like it :)
wfg Monster
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I'm working on converting it to an HTML page, but progress is slow (mostly because of school). It should be finished in a week or so.
FKA Ratfink
Lee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lee »

If you supply the screenshots, I could make an HTML page and/or a PDF file for you.
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

i think it's a great idea if a site could be put up for all the bzflag tricks, the Mofo Jump is quite a hard trick to get hold of. Maybe you practise a lot and get the right timing for the mofo roof jump, but you won't be able to do it on other maps where the height of the platform above you would be different, therefore needing an entirely different timing to spin jump up. The main point is to remember to spin when jumping, and, your tank needs to be parallel to the side of the platform when your tank is in the air just before you land so that when you land your tank would have turned enough again to land onto the top platform. For higher platforms the spin needs to be less where as for lower platforms the spin needs to be more. Also this trick is best done when your tank starts on an angle, makes it much easier to time. Remember to use mouse to jump so you can control perfectly how much your tank spins.
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

LeeM wrote:If you supply the screenshots, I could make an HTML page and/or a PDF file for you.
Thanks for the offer, but I have a nice HTML/CSS template I made myself already. However, it doesn't work right on Firefox, so I need to fix that somehow.
FKA Ratfink
Lee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lee »

I could still make a PDF, and really, that's strange, usually it's IE with the problem :P
Pirate
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Pirate »

It's great but I'm not that great at it and so I usually end up dying trying to get on top.
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I figured out the problem. Apparently, there are some strange problems with Firefox when a file is saved as .xhtml . I renamed them to .html , and now it works fine. Silly ol' Firefox! Now to work on the tutorials...
FKA Ratfink