Looking for the best mouse for BZflag

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Landon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Looking for the best mouse for BZflag

Post by Landon »

I'm look for a great mouse, I currently play with keyboard but would like to play with a mouse. Price doesnt matter, can anyone direct me to the best mouse in your opinion to play bzflag with?
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Looking for the best mouse for BZflag

Post by slime »

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse ... px?pid=045

I've used many mice, and this is by far my favorite one. It's not too fast (1000 dpi), but definitely fast enough for bzflag. It's size allows it to sit perfectly in my hand, and the design helps it sit comfortably. The material it's made out of pretty much won't ever get sticky (I'm guilty of playing bz and eating food at the same time) so this feature just amazes me. It's a laser mouse, so no cord to get in your way. It won't ever miss a movement either, like many laser mice do (just make sure to get a padded mousepad, rather than a sleek one). It's definitely affordable, only $40. Just one AA battery and you're ready to go. I had my first one for about 2 years before it finally caused me too many problems to put up with, so I went out and bought another one! I don't recommend too many products to people, but this is definitely one of them.

Hope this helped
Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Carnage »

do not get the g9 logitech mouse, spent $100, its nice but not worth the empty wallet
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

In general don't use any mouse using bluetooth because the cursor does "stutter" often and batteries won't be lasting long. Other wireless solutions are also not very good. There can always be influences on the connection between computer and mice using any wireless technology.
Wireless technology often also means power saving technologies are built into the mouse. The problem with power saving is that it could save power while you don't want it to do so (input lag).

There are not much mouse features that would matter for BZFlag.

For example "gaming mice" feature 1000 times per second polling using USB 2. Considering that only polling 100 times per second means there will be a max of 10ms input latency, there is very little difference between max 1ms and max 10ms. Please note that polling is a bad idea and thus a push based protocol would be more power efficient and having even less input lag.

The most important things to look at are enough buttons, good scroll wheel, high dpi (you can adjust cursor movement in your OS) , a weight of the mouse that you like, mouse feet you like, a mouse pad that you like and a wrist rest (ergonomics).

In summary what matters most is your personal preference and a wrist rest. A mice one considers the best mouse ever could be unusable for someone else.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I've played with Razer mice for a long time and I love them. The buttons are usually very large, the scrollwheel is unmatched and they're very responsive (+ they look predatory :D). Theres a little downside though: Razer makes quite large and heavy mice, so if you're used to small notebook mice, it may need some time to get used to. I started with a Copperhead, but it was too heavy for me, so I switched to a Diamondback 3G and now there's no going back to a regular mouse. :)

You should definitely visit a store where you can get your hands on the new mouse before buying it... no matter which brand.
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

I'll put in another recommendation for Razer. I bought a Copperhead used off my friend for around $30 and so far it's a great mouse. It's 2000dpi, but if that's too much you can always scale it back to 1600 or 800. Although I never really liked using BZFlag with a mouse (I still use the keyboard) it's still a great mouse for other games.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I don't think there is such a thing as the "best mouse." It varies depending on the person and I'd say just find one that's comfortable for you to play with, especially if it isn't expensive. :-) I play with a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse (USB). It was like $10-$15 when I got it, and I've forgotten when that was. :-P
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I just use a simple Logitech optical mini mouse that I got on boxing day :) Works great.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I use the Logitech G5 Mouse. I still need to install the software for Macro's (If I ever find it :D )

I also use 4 1.7g and 2 4.5g weights to give it better control.
Landon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Landon »

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking into all of them. Also if it changes anything I'm on a macbook pro running Leopard, it can still install windows software though. I also noticed the http://www.razerzone.com/p-124-razer-de ... mouse.aspx on the razer website, and i found some amazing deals on them. Any opinions?
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I'm also on a Macbook Pro, also on Leopard and I'm currently using this mouse. The Razer-Driver is pretty good if you like the OSX-mouse-acceleration, because you cant turn it off entirely. It lets you set macros, change sensitivity, speed and various other settings. However, if you are like me and dont like how OSX handles mice, you wont be satisfied with the Razer-Driver. I used to have USB-Overdrive, but it doesnt recognize Razers, so I switched to Steermouse and Deathadder+Steermouse is awesome. Gives you as much control as the Razer-drivers and works like a charm.
If you dont use USB-Overdrive, Steermouse or something similar, you'll most likely be happy with the Razer-drivers, so dont worry about that.

The mouse itself is awesome for righties, it doesnt fit into a left hand though. The buttons are very large and make a satisfying "click"-feeling... the scroll wheel feels very good, too. Its all manufactured on a very high level, the buttons are exactly where they should be and the mouse's surface is a special kind of plastic, almost rubber. Never got slippery for me, even after hours of playing. One has to mention though that the Deathadder is pretty big and heavy (something around 100g I believe)... if you are used to smaller mice, it might take some time. The only downside I noticed so far are the thin feet. They are a little scratchy (although its teflon) and dont slide as well as the Diamondback 3G did. Nothing to worry about, but since this is my third Razer, I noticed it. If you decide on this one, you might want to get one of those hard mousepads by Razer or Everglide, as they significantly increase accuracy with this mouse.
Landon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Landon »

Ok, thank you saturos.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Razer makes some nice products, but their MSRPs tend to be ridiculous. Try to grab their stuff from fleabay or some other bargain outlet, if you can find it. I've got a Diamondback and several pairs of Razer headphones that I purchased from woot.com, for instance.

My only complaint about my Diamondback is that the mouse buttons are a little too easy to press. When I first got the mouse, I was accidentally mis-clicking a lot because the weight of my fat finger was enough to press the button. -_- I use it without drivers in both Windows and Linux, with no issues.

I love my Lycosa (keyboard), too... and that's important, because I drive with the keyboard. :p
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Landon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Landon »

Oh cool I'll look around for a good store.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Some might say that I'm out of my damn mind, and that I smoke crack for it... but this mouse right here is the best for bzflag. Easily configurable. Great stuff.

...This has been a recording.
Waaerja
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Waaerja »

That is a weird looking mouse. oh well. as long as it works...
Anyways, i dont think the mouse matters as much as the way you have the settings. I wouldnt go spending any more than 20 bucks on a mouse for this... just adjust the settings. :|
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and cafeteria food.
Landon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Landon »

I disagree, and will show that by shunning you.... You are now shunned.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

landon wrote:I disagree, and will show that by shunning you.... You are now shunned.
Huh? what?
Well, I tried a mouse like that, it's to twitchy for me, but it would be good for very precise moves.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

To add to what IDO posted. Those kind of mice are pretty popular in the GU-league. It's a whole other way of playing and has an entirely different feel to it compared to your every-day mouse.

You really just need to visit a good computer electronics store and ask if you could try some out. Even if many people recommend the Razer, for instance, it still might not feel right for you.
Waaerja
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Waaerja »

Let me re-phrase what i said:
You need a quality mouse, but it is not the only thing to consider when playing with a mouse. You have to think about settings, etc.

P.S. Sorry if I offended you or something landon. :roll:
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and cafeteria food.
Landon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Landon »

Waaerja

Was kidding lol, I tried out a Razer Copperhead and decided it felt right so I ordered it. I'm anxious to try it in GU as soon as I get internet again :P (I'm currently stealing my neighbors which makes it very slow)
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

With the exception of having my own key mappings loaded, there is nothing that affects the quality of my play more than the mouse I am using. I play with an old wired Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.

At work at at my home office I use the HP wireless mouse that came with each of my laptop docking stations. Even if I set the sensitivity down to try to match the explorers... no joy, I can't get it quite right. I have a Logitech MX Revolution. I tried using it for work and for BZ and had bad results. Same problem, just way too sensitive. Now that I don't use it as my daily workin' mouse, I may try to re-learn BZ and make the MX my BZ mouse.
Retired Army--Proud to have served
Armored Cavalry Crewman, 1981-1984 (M60A5)
Infantry Officer & Paratrooper, 1984-1986
US Army Ranger & Sniper, 1986-1989 (LRSD)

Water Cooled 8-Core Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3.7GHz | Radeon RX590 GPU | 43" 4K Monitor
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

I cant resist to give my 2 Cents here, because I am / was in the same situation:

Till one week ago, I played with an 12 year old ball mouse (PS/2, Win 95 ready, costed me 5 DM).
With that "thing" it was really hard starting in GU and 1v1, I had to make the mousebox as small as it was possible (means not bigger than 1 cm on Screen). :rip:

To be better, I bought - after long time review readings and hand-fittings - a CyberSnipa Stinger, but I wasnt able to use it. its a bigger step than I thougth from a 150 dpi-ballmouse to a 1000 dpi lasermouse. I do try my first steps now with a (again really cheap) lasermouse (my first lasermouse btw) because the Stinger was too much for me - i will use it in some weeks, if I am capable to. :mrgreen:

But actually my problem is, I am not sure what mousebox size I should use with my mouse. Small boxes are better for dodging, bigger better for jumping and precise aiming. Does someone from the advanced players here use dpi-changing (500/ 1000) while gaming for that?
I thought about it and it seems doable, but I am not sure if it works that good in fast-paced-situations.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

well red-der ::: i guess its a compromise !
I recently got myself a razer mouse and was lost with it! completely!
so first it doesn't feel as an improvement ::: contrary (i was literally going through my trash to search for that good old mouse)!
but setting up my mouseboxsize to 28 was a good start to learn how to control that beast!
still fast movements and control of where you going ;)
just try different settings until you find "yours"!
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

You can adjust the DPI on it. I think it ranges to around 2000 DPI to 800 depending on the model.