Water Plugin?

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
PlasticTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Water Plugin?

Post by PlasticTank »

Would it be possible to make a plugin that changed the water level by what ever number? There could be servers where the water rises and everybody has to climb a hard course so they don't die.
blast
General
General

Re: Water Plugin?

Post by blast »

Currently the water level cannot be adjusted in-game in any way.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

That idea for a map could be done by making a very large shock wave world weapon (though it might not look as nice).
FKA Ratfink
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Ratfink wrote:That idea for a map could be done by making a very large shock wave world weapon (though it might not look as nice).
I made a map like this a while ago. A shockwave originated in the middle of a circular map and increased slowly in size over about 2 mins. The only safe areas were the four bases at the edge of the map.

Unfortunately, players that joined after the shockwave was fired would not see the shockwave, and so could just drive through it (as it seems that the server tells the client a SW has fired, and leaves it at that). This led to many arguments among the players, as well as false accusations of cheating. Which was a shame, because other than that, it worked well.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

Oh I lke this shockwave-runaway-thing :)
would be really nice with some kind of labyrinth or easy obstacles :)
make it wokr ;)
wfg Monster
Dontkillme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dontkillme »

PlasticTank wrote:Would it be possible to make a plugin that changed the water level by what ever number? There could be servers where the water rises and everybody has to climb a hard course so they don't die.
I think you can make it with Drawinfo but it won´t kill the tanks.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Dont kill my im a beginer wrote:I think you can make it with Drawinfo but it won´t kill the tanks.
You can't make it with DrawInfo.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I know! Create a plugin to change the _shockInRadius and _shockOutRadius variables after the shockwave has fired. Then the next one looks like a continuation of the first, and players joining after the first SW is fired will still see it.
FKA Ratfink
SpringTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SpringTank »

or just have several shock waves one bigger than the other and have them fire one after the other quickly so it looks like one big shock wave getting bigger.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You can't have different sized shockwaves.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

blast wrote: You cant have different-sized shockwaves
i think he means creating multiple WW each with an increasing _shockIn/OutRadius to give the effect of a single SW getting bigger and bigger.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

littlelep wrote:
i think he means creating multiple WW each with an increasing _shockIn/OutRadius to give the effect of a single SW getting bigger and bigger.
Blast understood exactly what you said and his answer still stands. Shockwaves are ONE size for the entire map. World Weapon and/or flag it is ALL the same.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

joevano wrote:
littlelep wrote:
Blast understood exactly what you said and his answer still stands. Shockwaves are ONE size for the entire map. World Weapon and/or flag it is ALL the same.
You could write a plugin to change the variables in-between shockwaves being fired.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I guess ratfink's idea was just to ensure that players joining later would have a better chance of seeing the SW by firing a increasingly larger shockwave (like, the first time, have the shock in radius be 20 and the shock out be 30, fire, then have the shock in be 30 and the shock out 40, and fire again) which I had misunderstood.

tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

Synchronous WW with time delay, or asynchronous, whats easier/more likely?

edit: I mean should the multiple WW idea be done by letting multiple WW happen at once, and also adding a time delay so people can make them start at different times(sync), or make a job queue of WW(async).
Last edited by tobylane on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

tobylane wrote:Synchronous WW with time delay, or asynchronous, whats easier/more likely?
I don't understand what you mean by synchronous and asynchronous with respect to world weapons...?
SpringTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SpringTank »

or, this is may take some time to make, have small shock waves arranged in spheres, each sphere bigger than the last, and have them fire one after another to make it look like 1 shock wave getting bigger.

or have shock waves arranged like platforms one higher than the last and make them fire so it looks like a platform moving up.