Official league match server..

Discussion for GU League Players
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Official league match server..

Post by Zac »

over the past dew days i have noticed that people are commenting more on lag. in the league it is more observant but i was thinking that there are now 2 teams in the league that have aussie players and a few with new zealand players.. i think that its time for a official match server in either california or east australia. is there anyone out there who can help with this. the offi server locations are becoming a big problem.

Zac
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Official league match server..

Post by dexter »

True, the amount of Australian/New Zealand players has rapidly been increasing, it doesn't mean we can just magically find a suiting server. Ever since silvercat went down, the league has been trying to find a replacement - not easy. Just to remind you, hardly anyone from the US or Europe would be using those servers if they have Quols/bzf at their disposal. This would really be just a help for Aussie vs Aussie matches, not that you don't have the right to a low-lag server. :)
Perhaps you could try to find somebody in the game who hosts servers in that region, I remember seeing some on the server list a couple weeks back or maybe even think about investing in a server of your own down there. :)
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

well shuist apparently asked if he could host one and the league admins said that it would be pointless because it would affect others. but its better to have a server in between the players then like quols in the opposite directioon. most americans can play on it withabout 250ms of lag so i dont see the problem. and dex is right. us aussies do have a right to a lag free server. maybe its time for the rest of the world tov experience what its like for us. :D :D :D

any input would be greatly appreciated thank you...

Zac......
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

Zac wrote:most americans can play on it withabout 250ms of lag so i dont see the problem. and dex is right. us aussies do have a right to a lag free server.
Stating that 250ms lag is "free lag" sounds really odd :D

The problem has a difficult solution unless you can stretch the distance between AU and the rest of the world. If you think that we can send info across Earth in 1/4 of a sec, that is already an achievement!
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

ok now i think its really important we get that lesslag server for aussies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Zac/ silence.
I do not have a problem with your asking if there is anyone out there in California, etc who would be willing host a hix match server (assuming it's a trusted individual and approved by the admins). You have not because you ask not. I, for one, would love to play with Joss and not have complaints about his lag...or play vs csg, lmnop and not miss their tank because of lag. :)

BUT. I do take issue with the comment that aussies have a 'right' to a lag free server. Unless you personally host a server/map, you are like most of us, playing bzflag through the generosity of various server owners who lay out good money and allow us to play there.

Lag stinks no matter which side of the ocean you're on. That plus the idiots that play ruin the fun for many.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

kierra wrote:BUT. I do take issue with the comment that aussies have a 'right' to a lag free server. Unless you personally host a server/map, you are like most of us, playing bzflag through the generosity of various server owners who lay out good money and allow us to play there.
I believe he was saying this because an Australian who DID offer to host a server was turned down.

Zac - I agree, it would be nice to have a server located in California so American's and Australians can play with much less lag. However, this problem wouldn't fix the Euro - Australian problem at all. As for the server located in Australia, I believe this would be a good idea. That way, the Australians who do play in the GU League can play each other with low lag, and if Euros/Americans accuse the Australians of bad lag and refuse to play them, there would be an alternative server to play at.

However, if the GU League admins refused Shuist's offer, I'm sure they did with good reason. Perhaps there just aren't enough Australians in the league to make it beneficial.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Seeing as this would only make matches with australian vs australian easier, I think it's up to, to find a reliable server that can be used. It won't change things lag wise, if you're playing American or European teams, because the lag will just be on their side and you won't be able to kill them any better.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

yes slime you are correct.... i only said that because shuist was turned down..i was a little disappointed that we arent considered to have great enough numbers to warrent our own aussie server :( ...

yes you are correct kierra, there are a lot of people out there who do ruin the game.. and im sorry if i offended you :shock:
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Zac,
the 'idiots that ruin the game' comment was not directed at you personally. It was meant to be a general statement. But, if you feel the shoe fits, then I accept your apology. :)

As for Shuist being turned down for hosting official match server, I think its because he is relatively new as a player. Being server host gives access to ips, logs, etc....and gu admins, to their credit, take the access to that information seriously. So, it must be an individual who is well known to the community as a trusted person of good character. Shuist may prove to be such a person but it takes time to establish such a reputation.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

ok i understand.. thanks for explaining :) :)
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

Zac wrote:ok i understand.. thanks for explaining :) :)
Kierra explained very well and clear. The basic problem with setting an official server is that league players will visit there being certain that things are under control, things like IPs, but also things like private conversations. Keep in mind that everything that is said or done on a server may be logged by the owner. If some private conversations between players, admins, etc go out to the public it may cause a big problem for many reasons that I guess you already can grasp. We do not censor private conversations in any way, do not look into them or scrutinize them. We are not interested in what you say to your mate in PM. We only watch to protect the public channels from insults, obscenities, etc.

Our intention is to protect the league from noise, noise does not allow to listen to music :)
Mark Twain
Pizzahead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pizzahead »

Now if someone lived in Antarctica.....

Check the map, may prove helpful. If there was someone in Africa it could connect Aussie and euro, and one in Cali would give Aussie and American. Now if there was a land mass to come out of the ocean at 0" we could have a universal server. Well, no never mind. Maybe some island would work.

Pizza

Now that I look at it, India would work for Aussie to Euro and would give Asians and Africans a good way point also.
Attachments
world_map.jpg
(156.1 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There is more to low latency that simply geographic location. While the geographic location does play a role by providing a minimum amount of latency, the quality of the route is a strong factor. Some ISPs may even have a route with a longer distance, as they might route through countries that have better Internet.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

i think we really need an aussie league server now, i for a fact know that there are 2 teams with 2+ aussie players. and i am starting a couple of aussie teams, in the hope that we get a league server, then we can match between us and there will never be lag complaints. better to have a barely used league server then none at all :)
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

You're starting 'a couple' aussie teams?

..I don't think the problem lies with GU really. It's not like having three teams with 2+ australian players is going to magically make a suitable server appear. If you're so desperate to get one going, I suggest you look into getting one yourself? Or maybe talk to some of the other players if they'd be willing. The fact that you need it alone, won't just make it happen.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

fair enough, ill look into it myself, but how will i get it approved?? if i cant then im kinda stumped, i dont wanna be a lagger anymore. if i can just match between my close friends and family with a couple of aussie teams.... and still have it count as an official match.. then thatll be bzs for me
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Dracos (who used to host the silvercat server in cali) once spoke about hosting a GU match server under the same conditions. Maybe someone should look him up and see if he's still up to it. He is, as many of us are, a very busy person.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Zac wrote:fair enough, ill look into it myself, but how will i get it approved??
Worry about the 'getting approved' part later, I'd say. Just focus on getting the word out there and hoping somebody reliable will have a solution. If the server is suitable for GU league matches, there shouldn't be a reason why the admins would say no.
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

I know this is an aging post, but yall might find this interesting, LLRR, Carnage, and I were playing on a New Zeleland server, and the lag for Carn and I was much lower on that server than Aussie and New Zeleland players on any American server. Carn had 270-280 range and I was in the 195-205 range. Other than at My.Inex, I hardly ever see an Aussie player below 300. I think this Aussie server idea could be very beneficial not only in Aussie v Aussie matches, but also in American v Aussie matches. Carn is about as far from Australia as someone from North America can get, which I assume means that 270-280 lag would be fairly close to the worst lag you'd see from an American at the server. The server we were on was Grans Remedy's server if anyone curious. If a good Aussie server can be found to host GU, it would definitely help a lot more people than just the Aussie/ NZ players from what I saw.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

there are only a few people i know that are able to host a gu server 24/7. a dead man has the best location.. he is on the east cost and currently hosts the manetheran server. i know someone else who might be able. Deeg, played pillbox back in 2006-2007 some of you may remember him. but he is on the west coast as far away as possible. that would mean that everyone would be moving away to connect with the server. better for them to move on a rough intercepting line to minimise lag.
rhapsody
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rhapsody »

Hmm, how about a Hawaiian server? :D
That's roughly halfway in between..
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

that could be good yes but...americans seem to have a much better overseas connection then aussies. so if its in aus or nz then itll be better
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

Grans remedy has finally finished setting up the NZ hix map so it has countdown and league spawn and stuff. i would like to appeal that the admins consider allowing it to become an official league server. allowing for austrlians and NZ to play with little lag. and also for americans to play austrlians also with less lag.. we have found that when we play at inex the lag of americans is less then when we play at inex.. thanks Zac
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

Hello all, the server owner "Grans Remedy" has kindly offered a match server for GU located in NZ which we hope could solve the AUS/NZ lag problem. For some unknown reason the NZ/USA lag is not the same as USA/NZ :roll:, so American players lag less in this NZ server than NZ/AUS do in an American one.

AUS, NZ, and USA players could you please organize some fun match on enuffsaid.co.nz:5158 ??
We would like to test set up, stability, and reliability of this new server for league play.

We are considering this server seriously to become official, so go and play for testing !!
Mark Twain