Different Maps

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Waaerja
Private First Class
Private First Class

Different Maps

Post by Waaerja »

There are tons of different styles of maps out there. What really makes or breaks a map for all of you guys? What about the different flags available on the maps and how they perform? (e.g. how far machine gun shoots, how sharp a GM can turn, how many jumps with wings.)

Anyways, just wondering what people like to see in a good map.

P.S. What do you think about zoned flags? Good or bad?
Last edited by Waaerja on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and cafeteria food.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Different Maps

Post by Bambino »

I like CTF style maps. I like camping spots and a nice area for a few ST to sneak around in. Many of my favorite maps are not ones that were made in 5 min. but maps that took time to make, possibly hand coded with a few secrets or two. Flags and there position can make or break a map. For example: If you have MG set to a good range _mGunAdVel 3 (or more) is usually good, you don't want over powerful flags like a 1 degree turn angle for GM or a shotSpeed of 1000.
But hey, that's just my 2 cents.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

It seems to me, from a map making point of view, people want something different, but not too different.

The maps that come out and become popular offer a style of play that is fresh, new and challenging, but not too difficult to master, or too far away from what they have previously experienced.

It's also got to have a sustained fun-ness to it, to see it stay at the top of the list for a long time. Some maps just have a natural staying power. It's all about sucking in your players, and creating a fan base wide enough to sustain it. You know you see maps pop up in the summer that sustain top of the list for two months and then disappear? I reckon these maps get taken up by the influx of new summer payers each year. They gain notoriety as 'noob' servers, and as soon as all those noobs leave when schools start again, the servers sink out of sight.

Something that will hold down a server for veteran players and new players alike is rare, and these servers are the consistently top ranked ones. Missile wars is the classic example.
Last edited by Spazzy McGee on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

well i will one day create the ultimate map :).... badgerkings is another example...
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

• It seems to me, from a map making point of view, people want something different, but not too different.
I don't know if I can agrre with Spazzy here. You know that map "Brave New World" by anomaly!?
Well at least to me it was a completely new concept for a map. Here the aim wasn't to kill your enemies, but to find out about all the secrets, which aren't all discovered yet:)
To become popular for a longer distance of time, a map has to be well thought out imo. Ricos have to work well and the map should make different styles of playing possible. (sniping, using st, using sw, just ctf, etc)
wfg Monster
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

personally, i like more realistic maps (like overdose by temvss, or any of louman's maps for example). yes, they do take forever to load, but in the end one can really appreciate all the work a mapmaker put in the map.

it's kinda sad that maps like that are not the most popular ones, yet the ones that seem to be "made in 5 minutes" become popular, and even some random maps were on top of the list once or twice.

not trying to talk bad about anyone's map, just stating my oppinion. please don't take it personally. all maps are appreciated, othervise there would not be BZFlag.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

i really like when a map is original...i mean everyone can make a basic map and host it...but if someone gets a new map ive never seen ill probably hit that one before i go to the old ones that have been around...thats why i just like west above...get dissapointed to find a really cool map with no people on it
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
VforVentriloquist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by VforVentriloquist »

I'm not a huge fan of gimmicky maps, like Antartica or circuit board. Basically any map that sacrifices core gameplay for a distinctive visual style or a particular gimmick (the only flag is unlimited wings, for example) is not going to have any staying power. It might be busy for a few weeks, but players wont come back after the initial surge. The best maps offer multiple ways to play - opportunities for snipers, stealth lovers and so on.

On a related note, whatever happened to the Trench Warfare server? It was one of the best CTF maps around, imo
* Not actually a ventriloquist
Dark Master16
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dark Master16 »

Yeah, CTF maps are the best. Missle War 2.3 is the one i'm playing atm. Places to GM and Laser snipe, SB spots...