Idea: Hunt the General

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Idea: Hunt the General

Post by RexFlex »

Sort of a bend on the hunt the rabbit, only team based where one tank on every team holds a "general" flag (could be the team colour flag). It cannot be dropped or stolen. This flag probably should be held by the player with the highest score on the team. If the general is killed, it is as if a flag capture occured (team dies, respawns at base), and credit goes to the team that shot the general. The flag is reassigned as soon as the general dies or leaves.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
joevano
General
General

Re: Idea: Hunt the General

Post by joevano »

That is an interesting concept. Could get a little boring for the "general" if your team is strong... but I could see this being fun.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

I dont think that it'll get boring for the general, especially when your team is good, their scores rise and after one "round" the new top player of your team gets the flag.
Kool idea :)
wfg Monster
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

Sounds like an opposite geno flag. Would the general also be able to pick up flags?
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

No, they already have one... and one is all you get in our game.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

I agree, that could make some interesting game play. Thanks for actually putting a good idea out... sounds fun.
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

Thanks for the feedback - glad others like it.

I agree that it seems to have a reverse geno feel to it - I almost called it "hunt the geno". Another name I thought about was "check mate" (i.e. game over when the king is captured).

And yes, the general wouldn't get another flag (although I understand in the up coming versions of BZflag they are looking at multiple flag combos and so that may change this if the map maker wanted it to).

That may sound harsh for the general, but their team will have an incentive to protect him with their own flags. Presumably their high score suggests they are capable of putting up a fair fight, and if that isn't the case and they only got a high score through spamming or camping with a superflag then it is only fair that they die quickly as the general. In a sense, this has balancing side effects to the game.

All that said, after thinking further about the implications, there may be situations that make it hard to implement. I had suggested the flag is to be assigned to the highest scoring player on the team - a problem occurs with that when that selected general does not respawn or decides to pause their tank - clearly that imunises the team from being "captured". There would have to be something to overcome that, such as manditory spawning and blocking out the pause capability at least for the general. Otherwise maybe the game could reassign the flag to another player if the general doesn't spawn or unpause within so many seconds.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

How about if the general is a bot-tank, that doesn't know it's supposed to hide.
Now that WOULD be fun. Tanks taking a hit for the team etc. :-)
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

Here's an idea: you could have the general change after 5 minutes (with prior warning for the future general so he can get to safety). That way, he wouldn't get too bored with sitting around, because if he lives long enough he gets to start playing again.
FKA Ratfink
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

This looks like a really good idea, and I'm actually kinda excited about seeing this implemented, which I'm guessing shouldn't be too hard with a plugin. It seems that a lot of interesting new map ideas could be designed around this concept too.
Tank 52
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tank 52 »

what if he's afk? or goes nr? or pauses? that dosn't sound fair for the other team not to mention this could be unfair,sounds a bit like VIP btw ;)
Try to look unimportant,they may be low on ammo
Teamwork is essential,it gives them other people to shoot at.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

You could set a time limit for how long he is idle for. Like X number if seconds paused or afk it goes to a different player. For be it could to roughly the same thing.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Amaterasu
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Amaterasu »

well the idea is interesting, but I see a problem:
the general could simply go to a place, were he can't be or extremely hard be hit.
There are pretty much of these places on maps especially in very small corridors.
But beside that, it's sounds like lots of fun.
Visit my map: hosting.bzexcess.com:5180
http://www.xprog.ch
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

I'm sure that most maps made with this game mode in mind will be designed so they they don't have any easy camping spots.