Your definition of a good player.

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
Hostile Dialect
Private
Private

Post by Hostile Dialect »

Is flagshopping really that bad? I assume you mean picking up a flag, not liking it, and ditching it for another, etc until you find the one you want. I do it all the time. Am I pissing people off that way? If so, why? I'm willing to believe that it's not a good thing, I'm just curious as to why.
Quasar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quasar »

I guess people don't like it because it shows that the person is unskilled with a flag. I see people pick up a SR flag and drop it, and I'm like "Why would you drop that?" If someone can't take the time to just try and raise their skill with one flag, like SR or Tiny, all they'll do is just use "power-flags" like SW or GM. I know I recently started using tiny more at mofo.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Tiny, Narrow, High Speed, Agility, etc. are decent flags that most people can at do decently with. Other flags, such as Useless, Thief, Steamroller, Masquerade, etc. aren't especially useful in all situations.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> I guess people don't like it because it shows that the person is unskilled with a flag. I see people pick up a
> SR flag and drop it, and I'm like "Why would you drop that?" If someone can't take the time to just try
> and raise their skill with one flag, like SR or Tiny, all they'll do is just use "power-flags" like SW or GM. I know
> I recently started using tiny more at mofo.

Maybe, but some flags are weaker than others. SR especially is bad in areas with teammates, since it is easy to accidentally steamroll them (I remember picking up the flag while standing right next to a teammate, killing us both). Also, there are counter-flags too, for all of the "power-flags."
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

Someone who kills campers easily!
That is the best player ...
An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by An SQUERRILz »

Grace F wrote:
whodaman? wrote:
Teppic wrote:On the flipside, if I send someone a 'ns' for a good kill and they send back a 'luck' they kudos for admitting it.
You've gotta point there. :)
I was talking about, say a league match. One team just barely wins and instead of showing good sportsmanship the losing team says something like "You lagged so much it was impossible" or "All your lucky shots..lame".
Comments like that are just uncalled for IMO.
Yeah that can happen :)

We're all going to repeat the same thing on this thread I think.

-Referring to CTF Play Maps-
1. A player that is always aware of what is going around them and makes tactical moves to help the team rather than the individual.

2. A player that only cares about their own personal score.
Hmm the lag issue.
2. Generally, someone who doesn't know what lag is/does or mentions lag as an excuse [not a reason] for anything or puts their faith in 'collision detectors' or mentions those two words in a proof of anything is a player who isn't good. That's one tough filter, especially for people who are somewhat dedicated to playing Mofo and badgerking.

You'll be surprised by the percentage of admins who don't know what lag is too. I guess knowledge of lag is not a definite requirement for admins on any server, yet. In fact it isn't an encouraged thing to learn about.
Is flagshopping really that bad? I assume you mean picking up a flag, not liking it, and ditching it for another, etc until you find the one you want. I do it all the time. Am I pissing people off that way? If so, why? I'm willing to believe that it's not a good thing, I'm just curious as to why.
If a server has superflags on it, no one should get pissed off with you 'flag shopping,' unless you are using a flag identifier cheat or you get 8 genocide flags in a row on mofo. It's not necessarily a bad thing to search for flags but the better people in superflag servers adapt to most/any flag(s) they get.
an alien
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: So far away you can't even begin to comprehend it...man...

Post by an alien »

I don't think there's anything wrong with flag shopping. When I do it it's just cause I'm too lazy 8) I usually just get the flag closest and make due with it cause by then I'm being chased by someone in a better position than me and I don't have time to do anything :roll:
- The best way to live life is to live every day like it's your last.
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

Quasar wrote:I see people pick up a SR flag and drop it, and I'm like "Why would you drop that?"
It can be a matter of the right tool for the job. SR can be an effective flag in many situations, but like all the others it can be downright useless in some situations. I don't see a problem with discarding a positive flag if there is opportunity to get something better. Powering up when you have an opportunity to do so is as much a strategic manuever as any other.

Of course, if someone never sees a situation where SR or other positive flag is useful, then that would say to me that it is a sign of a weakness in their play.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
BadAnimal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by BadAnimal »

1. Good sport, good shot, helps noobs
2. Belittles noobs

Then there are those that are worse than a "bad player". Recently saw one impersonating a regular on Missile War, then went on a team killing spree.

Flag shopping: I am usually on the bottom of the score list, so I will sometimes flag-shop for the ones I am better with. However, when I am near the top, I will pick up a different flag after each kill. It gives me more skills, and keeps it interesting.

As for complaining about lag, see my sig.
Lag bites, but is not an advantage.
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

Hostile Dialect wrote:Is flagshopping really that bad?
On CTF maps I usually assign myself some kind of mission (the most common being "kill the camper") and so I will want the best flag for that (e.g., Stealth to kill someone with a Guided Missile flag). At Two Tanks, shopping for Wings or Narrow/Tiny/Thief is essential if the opposing team flag is in one of two popular "safe" spots.

On a FFA map like MOFO, however, I sometimes don't even have a chance to pick up even one flag after spawning, let alone try to find one more powerful than the first one I get.

Bottom line, someone who is flag shopping probably isn't paying enough attention to the rest of the game and is easier to kill, so I recommend it for my opponents and discourage it for my teammates. :-)
G5 Serenity 2011
Private
Private

Post by G5 Serenity 2011 »

Constitution wrote:Tiny, Narrow, High Speed, Agility, etc. are decent flags that most people can at do decently with. Other flags, such as Useless, Thief, Steamroller, Masquerade, etc. aren't especially useful in all situations.
Useless flag is never useful. :wink:

G5
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

G5 Serenity Again wrote:
Constitution wrote:Tiny, Narrow, High Speed, Agility, etc. are decent flags that most people can at do decently with. Other flags, such as Useless, Thief, Steamroller, Masquerade, etc. aren't especially useful in all situations.
Useless flag is never useful. :wink:

G5
Except when you want to thwart someone flashing a thief all around the place like they don't have an actual target. :twisted:
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
an alien
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: So far away you can't even begin to comprehend it...man...

Post by an alien »

Actually on some servers the Useless flag can be some of the most helpful flags on that place. The Useless mine is a very strategic part of many servers. :)
- The best way to live life is to live every day like it's your last.
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

an alien wrote:The Useless mine is a very strategic part of many servers. :)
In the event that the mine plugin is used, it isn't really the useless flag anymore. The nature of the flag is changed at its most fundamental level.
An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by An SQUERRILz »

G5 Serenity wrote: Useless flag is never useful.
Useful flag is good when
1) can set mines
2) a high proportion of bad flags
3) killing your archenemy
Last edited by An SQUERRILz on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tank 52
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tank 52 »

Ok i understand what all of you guys are saying here but the luck thing, you cant say someone is a bad player just for one lucky shot, i mean they might have aimed at someone else and that person dodges and you get hit, then you say ns and they say lucky shot, but it dosnt actually mean they're bad, sometimes it really is just luck.
Try to look unimportant,they may be low on ammo
Teamwork is essential,it gives them other people to shoot at.
Amoeba
Private First Class
Private First Class

So what?!

Post by Amoeba »

What's wrong with flag shopping anyway? I sometimes want a certain flag... say, stealth, to penetrate the enemy base and get the flag, whats the fuss? And it's NOT like I can't use some flags, sometimes I just have a plan that requires a certain flag.

Good player qualities:
1. Is polite and respectful.
2. Has a high personal score and/or see number 3.
3. (If on a CTF) Helps out the team.
Anthony
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Anthony »

1.people that dont tk its awalys like their hunting me :?
2.has a good clean mouth no one likes dirty talk
3.is a good player and dont complain when the team flag gets captured or a team mate gets hit with geno
Megaleg11
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Megaleg11 »

1. Cooperates with teammates, uses no profanity, learns from mistakes, practices
2. Swears, acts mean to teammates (such as TKing), accuses people of cheating if he keeps dying, and cheats himself
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

1 (what makes you skilled) : Knows how to dodge, rico, drive skillfully, aim, has good reflexes, etc.

2 (what makes you unskilled) : CAMPS, relies on power-flags (gm, sw, l, sb, basically flags that change your shot type), relies solely on jumping to escape shots.
ironfist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Your definition of a good player.

Post by ironfist »

to me a : a player which uses both sportsmanship and skills in tight situation to avoid being killed
and a bad player is some1 who camps with stealth and then spawnkills repeatively i to say stop it thats happened to me a lot of time but i also have to agree that thats the only way u can win, but that cheating like ussual.
The light at the end of the tunnel... might always be a oncoming train.
ironfist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ironfist »

1) a great player i know would be llrr (i think i spelt that right) he gets out of chases easy by shooting into a flat surface facing towards him and the chaser then shooting then jumping making the chaser surprised and shot.
2) people who camp and spawn kill are people with no skill who have to cheat to win and make it less fun. like nightmares cheat that kills himself and give another tank the points when they ask for him to do it. don't they ever feel bad about receiving the points instead of earning them?
The light at the end of the tunnel... might always be a oncoming train.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

1) Players who are willing to learn/teacher new players. Have a few tricks up their sleeve etc.
2) Player who whine at every little aspect of the game.
3) Don't explain cheats on the forums.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Amaterasu
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Amaterasu »

1)People which help me (cause im bad and a noob), that are going to steal the team flag and dont look on their score, people which organize an attack with others.
2)Campers near a base (like those on the two tanks), people which say "i'm helping you, i'll give you our flag, blablabla." and those which terrorize someone in the chat.

-Amaterasu
Visit my map: hosting.bzexcess.com:5180
http://www.xprog.ch
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

1. everyone who plays fair and don't cheat, i don't care about their skill, more important is having fun.
2. campers, genohoggers (esp on MW2), people whining all the time, e.g. thru!, that hit..., bs, etc, and people just keep writing stuff after they get killed, e.g. ..., ??, lucker, wtf etc.