Is BZFlag a especial game?

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
T-80
Private First Class
Private First Class

Is BZFlag a especial game?

Post by T-80 »

Hello!
I feel that BZFlag is a especial game. But I don't play another on-line games, so my friend said that I will like ANY on-line game I will play. Please, prove him (or me) wrong. Is there anybody who play a lot of different on-line games but think that BZ is one of the best?
Спасибо.
Last edited by T-80 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, they CAN jump...
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Is BZFlag a especial game?

Post by gentle giant »

Online games are weird. I've tried different online games but none really fit my personality except for bzflag. It is just a one of a kind game that i can rule at with a good map that fits my playing style.
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I found bzflag and I will not leave. The community is great, making maps is awesome and I learn new things related to the game very often. Most of the plays are fun to be around.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

the community on bz is one of the best, players respect other players (mostly) and we have proper conversations, not just HAX! and CHEAT!

the forum adds alot to the game, you can post ideas and advice to help newer players become great :D
T-80
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by T-80 »

Thank you, guys!
I know that the community on BZ is great and players respect other players, and I like it... I just wonder are there any ex-BZplayers here, who leave this game for more interesting (to their mind) games? I mean, is there anybody, who thought that BZ is the best game, but subsequently change this opinion? I just want to shut up my friend's mouth :wink:
P.S. Zac, nice avatar!
Yes, they CAN jump...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Most people never quit the game. They might play less, or take a break for a while, but you'll find they usually come back. :)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Because it is an addiction. You. Will. Never. Stop. Playing. :P
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I rarely play anymore - I'm just in it for the friends, the community and the maps.

p.s. 'especial'? You mean just the adjective 'special'. 'Especially' is the adverb form of 'special'.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
T-80
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by T-80 »

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
especial
adjective
*[only before noun] (BrE, formal) greater or better than usual; special in some way or for a particular group

special
adjective, noun
* [usually before noun] not ordinary or usual; different from what is normal
* [only before noun] better or more than usual

Am I wrong? I tryed to say the same... Maybe the word "special" is more common. English isn't my native language and I'm learning it myself.
Last edited by T-80 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, they CAN jump...
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Hmm... I guess 'especial' is in the dictionary (quite a surprise to me). But yes T-80, 'special' is the common form of the word. 'Especial' is a common mistake that foreigners make when learning English (especially Spanish speakers). Another one that I find people have trouble pronouncing is 'island'. People learning English commonly pronounce the 's' in the word so it becomes 'is-land', but the proper pronunciation is 'i-land' (like eye-land).

PS Everyone knew what you meant. :P Keep up the good work. I couldn't even begin to attempt Russian (assuming because of the T-80 reference)

EDIT: OH, and the Russia, Murmansk in your 'Location" field :D
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
T-80
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by T-80 »

Thank you, joevano.
And I agree: people like BZ because it is an addiction. What about me, maybe I like it because I'm ex tank driver (not T-80, just T-72) :turtle: :wink: Anyway, BZ is a special game for me, and I don't care what my friend talking about it.
Thank you all for your replies!
Yes, they CAN jump...
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

I love bzflag because, yes, it is a great strategy and skill game ( join the GU league!), but mostly because of its great community (again GU league!). You will see some online games like, *cough* runescape that have millions of players and there are just small groups of players who know each other. In bzflag, however, the player base is relatively small, and pretty much all of the active people know each other.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Yes, some know each other through the game be others like the phago team know eachother in real life.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

T-80: Another good rule to remember if you're learning English: you use 'a' when the next word begins with a consonant, as in 'a ball'. You use 'an' when the next word begins with a vowel, for example, 'an apple'. So if you wrote that something was especially good, you would use 'an'. "BZFlag is an especially good game."
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
T-80
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by T-80 »

Thank you, Spazzy McGee, but I know these simple rules :? That's just my usuall inattention... English is a quite simple language, you know.
Yes, they CAN jump...
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

T-80 wrote:English is a quite simple language, you know.
I've heard that english is one of the hardest Latin languages to learn, in comparison to french, spanish, german, etc. I don't know, seeing as I never really 'learnt' english as a language, per se.

The thing with english is that it's got an unbelievably wide vocabulary, if not the widest vocabulary of any other language. This is because the UK has been invaded so often, and words from many many languages have been appropriated and bastardized to form the mess that is English.

I'm always amazed at how the rest of the world seems to learn english so well, though. If you go anywhere in europe, especially cities, you'll probably find they speak pretty good english. I suck at languages. I tried french once, and I really sucked.
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

I don't know about popular 3D games of nowadays. But I guess that you normally won't find ricochet functionality there (as principal element), like Bzflag has. (However I could be wrong)
So that would be another very special property about Bzflag.
Spazzy McGee wrote:I've heard that english is one of the hardest Latin languages to learn, in comparison to french, spanish, german, etc....
English is widely known to be one of the most easiest languages (to learn) in the whole world! And german is known to be one of the most complex languages in the world. (Btw, though in comparison to german, chinese is surely still (far) more complicated to master)
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

bzflag is an especial game for many reasons. for starters it has these brilliant forums looked after by a great team of friendly admins, joevano spazzy quantum, to name a few. then there is the community, nothing else compares. sure you can go on runescape with your friends but who wants to, i certainely dont,there is simply no skill or respect in those sorts of games. plus bzflag is unique. whoever heard of tanks that can JUMP!!! :mrgreen: funny people always ready to help out or crack a joke, they can take your bad days and your good days. and when we are unfortunate enough to have a loved one leave everyone feels it. not like those stupid swearing violent "i dont give a ****" games. well now ive rambled on and well.....meh thats my 2c

Zac :D
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

i only ever play bzflag, cod4 and sometimes urban terror. i always find myself playing bzflag more.
pooper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pooper »

It's because people who stick to playing BZ flag are almost always intelligent. IMHO the game is more about strategy, thinking quickly, watching radar, etc than just good aim and reflexes.
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

Spazzy McGee wrote: The thing with english is that it's got an unbelievably wide vocabulary, if not the widest vocabulary of any other language. This is because the UK has been invaded so often, and words from many many languages have been appropriated and bastardized to form the mess that is English.

I'm always amazed at how the rest of the world seems to learn english so well, though. If you go anywhere in europe, especially cities, you'll probably find they speak pretty good english. I suck at languages. I tried french once, and I really sucked.
And vice versa, and people like Shakespeare adding thousands.

It's successful (one of the top SFNet downloads), very much so for an open source game, and even more so for one not based on something else (Quake derivatives). It depends so much on changing things like other players and the maps. I used to play a retail game, James Bond Nightfire and its really quite different. Maps were slow to arrive, community was larger and tighter, and so many differences that ended up in its demise. Retail games are always better, I only found bzflag looking for open source games now I'm on a mac.
suicidebomber
Private
Private

Post by suicidebomber »

As English isn't also my native language, I'll try to give my best in posting here.
Yes, bzflag is a special game, as there is a nice community that is really gentle to beginners (like me..), always action, fast graphics and lots of fun. Bzflag is the first game, which took me in its ban from the beginning on. Instantly addicted :twisted:
It's like a good glass of red wine in the evening and even a good choice to ending a hard work day.
Well, sometimes I let Bzflag be my "screensaver", enjoying it as observer at work... :)