Many suggestions

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Many suggestions

Post by clarahobbs »

I have many ideas for BZFlag that are for different aspects of the game. Many of them are unrelated, but I'll post them all here (or else I'll probably forget some of them)

1. Solid Objects/Mesh Faces
"Solid objects" is a rather simple idea. It makes the object impassable by SB, OO, and PZ. One example of this could be for a map with a fake ground above the real ground, or something like flying popcorn's Gravity Flip map. Example code:

Code: Select all

box
  name solid1
  position 100 100 0
  size 20 20 10
  rotation 0
  solid
end
2. Team Physics Selection
"Team Physics Selection" are a bit more complicated than suggestion 1. They would work by only having a physics driver work for certain teams. This could be used to stop blue tanks from driving too close to the red spawn zone, to have green tanks pushed along a box, etc. Example code:

physics
  name die1
  death You need to be a different color to drive here!
end

box
  name killRed1
  position 20 20 0
  size 10 10 5
  rotation 0
  phydrv die1 1
end
3. Antimatter Shot Flag
The "Antimatter Shot (AS)" flag is fairly simple. It fires a small cyan sphere about the size of a normal shot, maybe a bit bigger. If a shot hits this sphere, both the shot and antimatter shot are destroyed. This works to destroy all shots except Laser and Shock Wave.

Please tell me what you think of these ideas!
FKA Ratfink
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Many suggestions

Post by Bambino »

The first two seem like they are possible, but the third one seems to difficult to implement, it's also slightly confusing.
But hey, it's just my opinion.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

the third one seems pretty awesome. but i agree with positve gravity with being hard to put into bzflag. the second one is kind of confusing. the first one would be cool if you were observing in observer mode, and a tank with oo tries to go through a wall and they get stuck and die :lol-old: .That gives me an idea. what if there was a sticky wall where you get stuck to it if you touch it?
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

gentle giant wrote:That gives me an idea. what if there was a sticky wall where you get stuck to it if you touch it?
Yeah, then I could make a Velcro style map/room :P
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

I also like the first two, especially the second one. The antimatter shot thing seems overly complicated and probably impossible to implement though.
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

I think the third one is similar to what I've heard about - Shock Wave should destroy all ammo that is in its area, including any lasers that hit the outside. Maybe with exception of geno, but definitely not gm.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

i would love to see all three ::: good thinking ratfink!
just reading your suggestion #3 gave me the idea ::: when you fire a shot with a BT (bomb trigger) flag at a certain object and you hit it ::: it triggers a "bomb" ....

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The "Antimatter Shot" is basically just a complex shield, so that will not ever be implemented.

As for the other two ideas, I like those. I'm pretty sure the first one has been suggested, perhaps as an "unpassable" option. The Burrow flag would probably still be left out due to the complexity of making that work, but that's not a huge deal.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

Why would the burrow flag have to be left out?
FKA Ratfink
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Because it would be a lot harder to implement than those other flags. Feel free to code it up though.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I very much like the idea of team physics - although contrary to what you haver outlined, I would have the team option actually in the physics driver, not when you reference the physics driver, and have it affect the team specified.

physics
  name die1
  team 1
  death You need to be a different color to drive here!
end
I also like the 'solid' or 'unpassable' option.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

Yeah, I was kinda torn between having the team(s) in the physics driver or in the reference. I really hadn't even decided when I made this post!
FKA Ratfink