On the Edge

User made maps to use on servers.
flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

On the Edge

Post by flying_popcorn »

This my newest map, On the Edge. It is a simple, no-cover map with multiple layers and interesting slopes. The bases are on opposite corners, the red base is on the ground and the purple base is on the top level. The four teleporters in the corners lead to the middle teleporter. There are two phantom zone cages underneath the map, next to the bases. This allows PZ to safely travel across the map to either base.

Image Image

Some players have complained that the purple team has the advantage. I personally don't think they do, because both teams have to make a trip to both bases to capture the flag, anyway. Also, it has been suggested that I mirror the map and put both bases on the ground on opposite sides. I decided not to do this, because, in my opinion, it would make it just like any other generic symmetrical 2-team CTF. But feel free to post any suggestions/opinions. (I was just telling you what's already been suggested multiple times)

Thanks to Gyb for coming up with the title for the map, and Jefenry's maps for some ideas.

Hosted at bzbattleground.com:9123

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

I'm not going to upload the map file to the forums, because it's another copy of the file I have to update whenever I fix a bug. You can get the most recent version by /saveworld'ing. I will upload it once I've gotten most of the bugs fixed.

Please post suggestions/bugs/opinions/etc!
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: On the Edge

Post by Bambino »

Looks really good, I like the 45 (?) slopes along the wall. It looks like it will have a nice twist in tactics because you can jump right into the slope and not go up to full jump height making the possible player on the upper levels jump and only to come down into you awaiting bullets :twisted: Nice Job flying_popcorn!
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

The concern about the purple team is not without merit. ;) Whenever there is a non symmetrical CTF map and one team's base is significantly higher than its opponent, it tends to be sorta better for the team above. In this case, they simply drive down, or jump, catching a block from time to time. Your other team, however, must climb one block at a time, because they are going up. Going up on slopes like this isn't quite as easy.

Personally, I don't mind though. It looks fairly entertaining. 8)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

ducatiwannabe wrote:The concern about the purple team is not without merit. ;) Whenever there is a non symmetrical CTF map and one team's base is significantly higher than its opponent, it tends to be sorta better for the team above. In this case, they simply drive down, or jump, catching a block from time to time. Your other team, however, must climb one block at a time, because they are going up. Going up on slopes like this isn't quite as easy.

Well, that's the case for one direction. But they have to both go to the other team's base, and then back to their own. So each side is going to have to jump up each level at one point. ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flying_popcorn »

Thanks everyone.
The concern about the purple team is not without merit. ;) Whenever there is a non symmetrical CTF map and one team's base is significantly higher than its opponent, it tends to be sorta better for the team above. In this case, they simply drive down, or jump, catching a block from time to time. Your other team, however, must climb one block at a time, because they are going up. Going up on slopes like this isn't quite as easy.

As far as capturing the flag, I think it is reasonably fair, because you have to go both ways and make a trip to both bases (as blast previously said).
However, I can see how the purple team could have a bit of a general advantage at the overall map, e.g. they spawn higher and can just drive off the edge to shoot at reds.
From what I've seen, the scores (both personal and team scores) seemed to be mostly balanced. It's impossible to make an asymmetrical map perfectly balanced, but if you have any suggestions on how to make it better (other than mirroring the map), I'll see what I can do.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

as the master of plugins ;-) why not making it a rogue-CTF with only one base?!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Actually, I rather like the idea as it fosters two different tactics for the teams involved. Purple, being on the high ground, can focus their tactics on assault and capture, with some defense. Red, being on the low ground, would focus their tactics on defense, with some assault and capture. It makes for a much more active environment than the strategic stalemates that tend to occur on symmetrical CTF maps.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)