pass team-flag to player

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

pass team-flag to player

Post by zaphod »

could it be possible to pass a team-flag to another player?
in a CTF mode you drive with the opponent's flag, lock on a teammate (that is in a certain range?!) and hit a key (or drop it) to make it "fly" to your mate?!
this could create a real interesting new team play like football (it's not called soccer ;-) or other famous ball-games!

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: pass team-flag to player

Post by Bambino »

Awesome. I love it. As a soccer (football) player myself, it could have very interesting strategy in CTF style maps, it would be nice if it was tied to a flag.
Example: Player A has opposing team flag
Player B has "Receiver flag" and can receive flag anywhere but in it's base or other disallowed areas (now going into plugin country) or could only be received in an allowed zone.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

Yeah, Seems like a cool idea. But I think it would be too powerful. Like PG said, there should be a pass area. I think that pass area should be not in front of you going to the base. So you can pass behind you only or sidways. So then it would be just like Rugby. Are you talking about Europian Futbol, or American Football (by the way, which i both dominate in while not playing bz:)
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

European, I never got the hang of American football.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Haha i too play soccer...

zaphod this would be a great idea. However, this may make ctf maps somewhat easier.

Good though,
ll@bzbb
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

The Thief flag can be used to steal a team flag from your own teammate, but be aware that some players may not like it if you do that.
serbatoio
Private
Private

Post by serbatoio »

BC stands correct.

I think being able to "pass" the flag to another player defeats the purpose of the CTF game. It may require more strategy than normal, but it eliminates the challenge of capturing the flag while others defend.

I think sticking to passing to the middle is good.

ll
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I believe that using theif to steal an opposing team's flag and get it to a better location (or cap it sooner) is always a good thing IMHO.
FKA Ratfink
gorgomol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gorgomol »

hi everyone,

i enjoy the idea of pass flag , why don't use the admin flag give permission clone as plugin , just need to define an pass area max
life is too short , spread love around you.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

gorgomol wrote:why don't use the admin flag give permission clone as plugin , just need to define an pass area max
hmmm ::: sounds like a good idea gorgomol!!!
should be possible ::: or not?!
but how to solve the passing without lots of typing?!
i assigned to my right mouse-button the lock-on/identify key and another button to drop the flag ::: so to get the real football/soccer feeling for quick passing and new tactics it would be nice to pass the flag to another player by just some mouse-clicks ;-)
could keep the game fast and fun?!
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

You could just make a command "/p" to pass the flag. That would be pretty quick to type, and if you want to type less, you could bind it to something like Alt+F10.
FKA Ratfink
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

viva soccer players :D

pretty cool idea though. maybe the plugin can work like /flag give <player> and the <player> is automatically replaced with the last person you "locked" on to.
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I think that locking on is done in the client, and plugins are run on the server. This would imply that you would not be able to just lock on and hit a button to pass the flag unless the client itself were modified.
FKA Ratfink
flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flying_popcorn »

I don't see much reason for this -- I think dropping the team flag over a pyramid or slope to pass it to the middle is a better alternative. This also makes it so that you can only pass the team flag across half the map. You can only pass it to the middle, but not any farther. Just my opinion :)

This may be possible with a plugin -- when a player drops the team flag, the plugin gets his/her position and orientation and determines the closest player on his/her team, then gives the flag to that person.

Another alternative would just be to have lots of TH flags. It might be possible to modify the behavior of thief flags with a plugin, (set it up so that you can only thief team flags or something. Or set it up so you can only thief in a certain section of the map). Then you can make the thief range longer with map settings. Or something like that.
die muszx double
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by die muszx double »

I love Zaphods idea of passing the flag from player to player, but you could make it better. For example, you could make enemy tanks intercept the flag and then they could pass it back to their base. :roll:
My apple mac is natural

die muszx double
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

die muszx double wrote:For example, you could make enemy tanks intercept the flag and then they could pass it back to their base. :roll:
Someone suggested that and the flag flies to fast for it to be possible.
applecake
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by applecake »

Hmm.. I like the idea. But won't it be very easy to pass very quick to another player?
If the whole team is on field, you could pass it to the base in like 5 secs or something. or?
-Ehm.. Mr president, you got applecake in ur eye!
-Well..I see that..
=====================================
And now some advertising:
http://type-your-name-here.deviantart.com/gallery/ My Deviantart!
http://action.cubers.net/ Another fun and free game
die muszx double
Private First Class
Private First Class

applecake wrote:Hmm.. I like the idea. But won't it be very easy to pass very quick to another player?
If the whole team is on field, you could pass it to the base in like 5 secs or something. or?
Your right, but I think the passing will be slower than that (well it should be.)
My apple mac is natural

die muszx double
mg [HUN]
Private
Private

Post by mg [HUN] »

Well, interesting.

I personally don't like the idea, but maybe it could be done.

I don't like it, because if you almost capture the enemy flag, but someone kills you last moment with for ex. stealth and then just passes it back in 2 seconds (or 5, doesn't matter) itcan really kill the games feeling.

If you really want to do it, I think you should do it the following way:

To reduce speed, flag should fly slowly.
You must add the ability for the other team to catch it, while flying, for ex. shockwave, or a whole new flag, similar to SW, but only working on flying flags. (Like laser, and thief)
You most include flying team flags on the map
And the most interesting part: What if the target (the player you want to pass to) already has a flag? Will S|he drop it immediately? Or will handle two flags at a time? (That sounds really stupid, doesn't it? :)) It's a complicated question. Maybe the player should choose, if S|he wants to keep the old flag (You don't just drop a GM flag, do you?) or drops it, and saves the team flag, but this will require additional control modifications.

So thats it.

All in all, I think its too complicated to put in such a clean, easy game.

But you decide. :D
die muszx double
Private First Class
Private First Class

mg [HUN] wrote:Well, interesting.

I personally don't like the idea, but maybe it could be done.

I don't like it, because if you almost capture the enemy flag, but someone kills you last moment with for ex. stealth and then just passes it back in 2 seconds (or 5, doesn't matter) itcan really kill the games feeling.

If you really want to do it, I think you should do it the following way:

To reduce speed, flag should fly slowly.
You must add the ability for the other team to catch it, while flying, for ex. shockwave, or a whole new flag, similar to SW, but only working on flying flags. (Like laser, and thief)
You most include flying team flags on the map
And the most interesting part: What if the target (the player you want to pass to) already has a flag? Will S|he drop it immediately? Or will handle two flags at a time? (That sounds really stupid, doesn't it? :)) It's a complicated question. Maybe the player should choose, if S|he wants to keep the old flag (You don't just drop a GM flag, do you?) or drops it, and saves the team flag, but this will require additional control modifications.

So thats it.

All in all, I think its too complicated to put in such a clean, easy game.

But you decide. :D

I agree with you (well sort of.) I like your idea of a new flag which is a mix between SW and theif.
It ceratinly should fly slower, and I think the server owners should have a choice as to whether they add it to their server or not. :lol-old:
My apple mac is natural

die muszx double
applecake
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by applecake »

I came up with a idea. Maybe you could pass with the flagkeeper's shots. And if you want to stop the pass, another tank should step between and get hit, like in football.. :D

I think this would be hard or maybe impossible to do, as it would imply the shots of the flagkeeper wouldn't kill anyone, or something like that.
-Well..I see that..
die muszx double
Private First Class
Private First Class

applecake wrote:I came up with a idea. Maybe you could pass with the flagkeeper's shots. And if you want to stop the pass, another tank should step between and get hit, like in football.. :D
Good idea. It would make passing the flag more challenging and therefore make the whole idea more fun. But it would be kind of hard to do, you would have to add in a new shooting button, so they had the choice of whether to pass the flag or not. Lets say (I use keyboard) Q is pass shoot and Enter is normal shoot. Too difficult I think. :lol-old:
My apple mac is natural

die muszx double
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

applecake wrote:I came up with a idea. Maybe you could pass with the flagkeeper's shots. And if you want to stop the pass, another tank should step between and get hit, like in football.. :D
One thing that the developers always seem to want is to have shots kill, and do nothing else. Your idea might be possible with a plugin, but will never be a part of the game, I'm afraid.
FKA Ratfink
applecake
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by applecake »

Maybe slower TH shots could be a solution..? :)
-Well..I see that..
die muszx double
Private First Class
Private First Class

Uhh, what do you mean? TH is like a laser.
My apple mac is natural

die muszx double