GUI Admin System

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

GUI Admin System

Post by Think_Different »

I'm proposing an in-game GUI administrative system similar to the one implemented in Counter-Strike: Source and HL2 (via a plugin). Basically, there is an admin menu, which is brought up by a command (or a bind) that allows a player to do a variety of things. There could be sections for kicking/banning players, another for changing server options, etc. Then through sub menus administrators could select ban durations, players to kick or ban, and variables to change. Since it is a little difficult to type out commands at times, I believe it would be easier to just bring up a menu in which you could press a few numbers and then the problems would be solved. I'm not sure, but I believe the Mani Admin Plugin (which is the one used by CS:S and HL2) is written in Lua and seeing as BZFlag now has the ability to handle Lua plugins, maybe this could be written in Lua. However, I don't know any Lua and a very limited amount of C++, so I can't really submit a patch, I just wanted to get the idea out there.

Here are some screenshots I took of how the system works in CS:S.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2580102.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/qno945.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2u56g4x.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2e1aw0i.jpg
joevano
General
General

Re: GUI Admin System

Post by joevano »

Have you tried 'o'...
It is not only to get lagstats, try using your arrow keys before pressing enter.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

joevano wrote:Have you tried 'o'...
It is not only to get lagstats, try using your arrow keys before pressing enter.
The 'o' menu is horrible.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I don't disagree, but most don't know it is even there
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I never use the "o" menu, it's not the best thing out there. I just do the tab auto complete for longer commands.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I also hate the 'o' menu, but it is very convenient for checking lagstats sometimes. I didn't know tab could auto-complete commands, I always have it working for jump. Of course, that doesn't really matter when scrolling the mouse wheel up jumps.
FKA Ratfink
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

The problem Think_Different is making isnt whether we have a GUI Admin System, its the quality of it and how it works. Personally, I think this is a good idea. It can be a simple menu where you scroll thru and pick a player and choose a command. When picking ban, you can enter the duration of time.

Good idea TD
big_daddy2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by big_daddy2 »

i agree with this system. certainly when there are new players and they dont want to look in the books for the comands, but this list would be pretty big... :roll: