Team Scrambling

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Team Scrambling

Post by that exploding tank »

You've seen this before: you enter a server where the teams are so stacked that you leave the server after only 2 min of playing.

Why not add an option to the poll that would allow the scrambling of teams with a majority vote? Many other games already incorporate this, and I think that it would reduce new players' frustrations when they go up against an incredibly overwhelming team.
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Team Scrambling

Post by clarahobbs »

Sounds okay to me, but might be pretty hard to implement.
FKA Ratfink
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Not possible in 2.0.x without kicking everyone, and just having random rejoins (or just players not rejoining).It would also ONLY work on server with autoteam. The server would have no control over balancing the teams based on previous performance of the players. Highly likely that it would not improve the situation...

Also, this would have to be set up server side and so that would be an individual server owners choice...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

The server knows who picked their own teams and who didn't, and it's unlikely 2.* will get any update of this size anyway.

I agree, very good idea. It would need a fairly high majority, with 3.* ignoring non-voters it should be 2/3 or 3/4.
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

The ratio at which a poll is accepted by the server is set in the configuration file. The default setting is .5, but it can be set to more or less by the server owner. It changes for all poll types, not just one. It would require several changes to BZFS to make each poll type have separate lengths.
FKA Ratfink
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

tobylane wrote:The server knows who picked their own teams and who didn't, and it's unlikely 2.* will get any update of this size anyway.
It isn't "unlikely", it's impossible. This would require a protocol change.

Version 3.0.0 will support changing teams. The plugin API in the 2.99.x code base already has a "sendSetTeam" function that would allow you to create this feature as a plugin.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

YAY! I wanted something like that for a hide-and-seek plugin. That sounds so cool...
FKA Ratfink