Map Thumbnail

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Map Thumbnail

Post by clarahobbs »

I think that it would be a cool feature for BZFlag to have a map thumbnail image when you selected a map from the list server. It would work like this: Join Game > Find Server > [select server]. There would then be a small image (200x200 or 300x300) as a preview of the map or whatever the server owner wants right on the Join Game page. It could be selected with a command-line option in the server. Please tell me what you think.
FKA Ratfink
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Map Thumbnail

Post by Bambino »

I like it. Would be useful for some maps not having to download millions of textures just to view a map you won't play on.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

I like it too! Good time saver and worth th code...What kind of command-line option? Expand a bit more on that.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the problem would be preventing a server owner from picking an image that may not actually be of the map, and may be inappropriate for all users. We have the same problems with textures, that's why we have the download access file, and images.bzflag.org.
ImageJeffM
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

JeffM wrote:the problem would be preventing a server owner from picking an image that may not actually be of the map, and may be inappropriate for all users. We have the same problems with textures, that's why we have the download access file, and images.bzflag.org.
You could add a -thumbnail line to the bzfs options, and make it obey the same rules as textures do. (i.e. downloadaccess.txt). Then, only display the thumbnail for servers that have the -thumbnail option turned on and meet the requirements, otherwise don't display anything.

Oh, and before anybody suggests it, you couldn't get an automatic screenshot from a fixed point on the map - some maps have false floors/walls, or aren't a standard shapes and sizes. So you'd get some weird screenshots.

I suppose you could have the first admin observer to join the map select an appropriate screenshot - that way they wouldn't be able to stick in an unsavory image - it would have to be the current map. Unless they modified their client, of course.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I was thinking that the thumbnail could be on the ISS (not the space station) and could be made by the map maker, an admin, or the server owner. It would be chosen with -thumbnail <uri of image>.
FKA Ratfink
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Spazzy McGee wrote:I suppose you could have the first admin observer to join the map select an appropriate screenshot - that way they wouldn't be able to stick in an unsavory image - it would have to be the current map. Unless they modified their client, of course.
Unless the point of running the server was to do just that.
Ratfink wrote:I was thinking that the thumbnail could be on the ISS (not the space station) and could be made by the map maker, an admin, or the server owner. It would be chosen with -thumbnail <uri of image>.
That doesn't solve the problem that JeffM described.

The feature would be much too open to abuse.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

Yeah, I guess you're right about it not fixing the "wrong map" problem. But then, why would a server owner purposely put in a picture of the wrong map?
FKA Ratfink
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Ratfink wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right about it not fixing the "wrong map" problem. But then, why would a server owner purposely put in a picture of the wrong map?
JeffM wrote:the problem would be preventing a server owner from picking an image that may not actually be of the map, and may be inappropriate for all users. We have the same problems with textures, that's why we have the download access file, and images.bzflag.org.
Reading is very good.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

me1 wrote:Reading is very good.
But generally not practiced here... ;)
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

Um...I did read it. The images would be on the image submission system, so they couldn't be inappropriate. There could even be a section in it for "map thumbnails" and then the maintainers of the sub. sys. would know not to just allow textures there. Therefore, as I said, the only problem would be if someone put a picture of the wrong map, and why would he do that?
FKA Ratfink
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Ratfink wrote:Um...I did read it. The images would be on the image submission system, so they couldn't be inappropriate. There could even be a section in it for "map thumbnails" and then the maintainers of the sub. sys. would know not to just allow textures there. Therefore, as I said, the only problem would be if someone put a picture of the wrong map, and why would he do that?
I think the meaning of "ISS" was lost. I assume you mean the "Image Submission System"? It's typically just referred to as images.bzflag.org or IBO.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

Yes, that's what I meant. I didn't know that was what it's usually called.
FKA Ratfink