Web Based Server Admin

Place all meeting requests / announcements here...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Web Based Server Admin

Post by JeffM »

Working on the webadmin plug-in for 3.0 ( http://my.bzflag.org/w/Webadmin ), and it's coming along nicely, figured I should post some screenshots to show it off :)

The main page;

The chat page;

The logs page;

The vars page;

The idea is to provide a lot of what bzadmin does over a web interface.
ImageJeffM
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

Sweet! Will this be compatible for iPod Touch or iPhone, PSP,Wii,etc.? And am I allowed to post this on my website?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It's a web page. I am unaware of what one would have to do to make a generic HTML page be "compatible" with those devices since they will ether draw it or not.

Nothing the pages do, "runs" on the device that views them, so it should work on anything that can show a web page.

The HTML of the pages is controlled by a template system, so each server owner could customize them for specific needs if they wish.

They are pictures of open source software, do what you will with them as long as you don't misrepresent them.
ImageJeffM
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

If you are not admin you can still be on servers via webadmin correct?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Currently for development the plug-in checks for global groups that have ether kick and ban and allows them into the web interface. The final goal is for the interface to only show the items a user has permissions for based on there global group permissions that the server owner has set up.

This means that if you have kick, all you see is the kick page, yet if you have all permissions you see all the pages.

Users who are not in a global group with any admin type permissions would not be able to log into the system.

Users of the web interface are also not "players" as far as the server is concerned.
ImageJeffM
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I see. So just clarifying, If i'm a Player with no perms i can not talk to other players with no perms, its just as if your an admin on a map with out any graphics, just text. Correct?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Again, I am having a hard time understating you. Perhaps you should proofread your posts before you send them?

The goal of this is to administer a server, not allow players to chat with each other over a web page. The chat interface shown is simply a log, and the ability for an admin to send out a server message.

Player to Player chat can only happen in game when a player connects with some kind of client (bzflag, bzadmin, bzrobts, or a server side player).

webadmin is NOT a replacement for all the possible uses of bzadmin. It will simply provide a web interface to some of the administration features of bzfs.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "as if your an admin on a map". As far as I am aware a map file does not have the concept of "admin".
ImageJeffM
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

I think the webadmin-interface is a good and big step in the right direction.

Just one question: Is it compatible with the actual bzflag-version? So it can be tested (on my own server)?

Thanx
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Ok. I think you are asking:

Is the web-admin compatible with the current release version 2.0.x?

The answer is no. This is currently available in Trunk (2.99.x), and will be released when 3.0 comes out. It is available for testing if you compile from the current source code (Trunk).
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

Right, i meant it this way.

Thnx for clearing it up.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Looks good, thanks for working on this. I have wanted this for quite some time just never asked and now I see this. :D

Appreciate it.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it was not really possible to do it like this until 2.99.x with out using an external web server.
ImageJeffM
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

lol_u died wrote:Sweet! Will this be compatible for iPod Touch or iPhone, PSP,Wii,etc.? And am I allowed to post this on my website?
You can view these with an iPod Touch or iPhone just fine. They could be sped up a bit by checking for "mobile safari" and redirecting to a set of pages that are optimized for mobile safari though. Other than that, as JeffM already said, they are just web pages, If you can browse and view web pages on whatever device you have then you should be able to view these as well.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Re: Web Based Server Admin

Post by allejo »

I know this topic is a bit old but one question. With this plugin working on a server will it have a logger on the server just like when you login with bzadmin a logger will appear?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Nope. I can't even remember what all the plugin includes for features, but it would be able to access any data it needs directly though the API (chat, kills, players joining/leaving, etc).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it keeps a chat log yes.
No it does not take a player slot, that is the point of it being a plugin.
ImageJeffM