End shot SW

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
SpringTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

End shot SW

Post by SpringTank »

I know the server doesn't have an shot end event, but what if you made the plug-in assume when and were the shot will explode and place a world weapon in that spot and have a timeout for it. When you shot the server will calculate were to place the SW using your tank speed, tank position, and shot speed, then calculate when to have the SW go off by using how long you have the shots set to last.
Just a thought.
Last edited by SpringTank on Thu May 14, 2009 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
More than likely there is a species out there that can naturally detect radio. I can only imagine that they are quite annoyed by us.
KF5QEK
I also fly stuff sometimes.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: End shot SW

Post by Bambino »

Yassen made a plugin like this - you're driving and a SW comes out the back of your tank at a constant rate, and it's the only weapon you have.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

that won't take rico, or early detonation into account. but sure you could have a plug-in do anything it wanted.
ImageJeffM
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

This is actually what I was trying to do when I wrote the mine plug-in. When I found out I couldn't do it, I switched to mines.
Strakowski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Strakowski »

TheFish wrote:I know the server doesn't have an shot end event, but what if you made the plug-in assume when and were the shot will explode and place a world weapon in that spot and have a timeout for it.
This is a very cool idea for a plugin indeed :D and a tool I would love to have when building maps. Looking through the event API on the wiki, I found an event called bz_eShotEndedEvent. There doesn't seem to be any documentation for this event; does any one know if this event might work for the plug-in in question? :? I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but it sounds promising.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Strakowski wrote:
TheFish wrote:I know the server doesn't have an shot end event, but what if you made the plug-in assume when and were the shot will explode and place a world weapon in that spot and have a timeout for it.
This is a very cool idea for a plugin indeed :D and a tool I would love to have when building maps. Looking through the event API on the wiki, I found an event called bz_eShotEndedEvent. There doesn't seem to be any documentation for this event; does any one know if this event might work for the plug-in in question? :? I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but it sounds promising.
bz_ShotEndedEventData does not include where the shot ended (in 2.0 or trunk). So, no, it wouldn't be possible.

And calculating where shots are would be a completely new feature. The server doesn't have a clue where shots are, only clients do (in part, this is why it is so easy to cheat).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Strakowski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Strakowski »

hmmm :? . I see. you'd have to write something to parse the entire map before hand to calculate ricochet. I don't suppose there's anyway to have the server grab data from the client. BZ 3.0 is supposed to have servers do much more calculation than it's predecessors. Maybe something will come up.

P.S. A Meteorite: you've written 1783 posts, and you're still a private first class? How does one move up around here? :D
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Strakowski wrote:P.S. A Meteorite: you've written 1783 posts, and you're still a private first class? How does one move up around here? :D
You help the project...contribute.

They changed it so people don't spam post to get a higher rank.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Strakowski wrote:hmmm :? . I see. you'd have to write something to parse the entire map before hand to calculate ricochet. I don't suppose there's anyway to have the server grab data from the client. BZ 3.0 is supposed to have servers do much more calculation than it's predecessors. Maybe something will come up.
Yeah, pretty much. And it really hasn't changed in trunk (3.0). The server is pretty much just as dumb and from what I've heard, nearly all cheats (especially the ones that matter) that are possible in 2.0 are just as possible in trunk due to that.

You also couldn't pull the info from the client since... the client can never be trusted. Ever. That's the problem we see now; the server puts all its trust into the client.
Strakowski wrote:P.S. A Meteorite: you've written 1783 posts, and you're still a private first class? How does one move up around here? :D
Well, there's a deeper reason for that, but I can't delve into it here.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com