Beta 2.99.x Builds for Mac OS X [Unofficial]

Place all meeting requests / announcements here...
tktech
Private First Class
Private First Class

Beta 2.99.x Builds for Mac OS X [Unofficial]

Post by tktech »

This is an unofficial build of the development version of 2.99.x.
Available here

Tested on 10.4.11, universal binary.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Re: Beta 2.99.x Builds for Mac OS X [Unofficial]

Post by optic delusion »

Good build, seemed to be OK on my OSX 10.5.6
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

BZFlag 2.99.x clients and servers are compatible with each other only when x is the same number. For these builds it is worthwhile to say exactly which version it is.
tktech
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tktech »

Ah sorry, I'll set it up so it displays the version name in filename. Its actually built nightly (midnight GMT) using the lastest branch.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Runnig this 10.4 build under 10.5 did have problems, sometimes menus would disappear... sound was echoing weirdly..

Flash just enabled plugins by default in the xcodeproj.
THere should be plugins in tonight's buiild. I already got them on my 10.5 build.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
die muszx double
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by die muszx double »

I need help. I have all the system requirements for this version, but the page i download from wont load. Sometimes it says "(whatever the website is called) doesn't exist".

Please can someone reply to this with another download page.
My apple mac is natural

die muszx double
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Yep, the web server doesn't exist. No help to be had as it doesn't exist. Also 2.99 changes protocol pretty often so it needs to be rebuilt on a very regular basis. Any pre-built "unofficial" version is only good as long as the protocol doesn't change. That means the download package requires very regular maintenance and that usually doesn't happen. If you want a 2.99.x client it is best to build it yourself from source code. The time you invest in setting up a build environment will be well worth it if you are interested in testing 2.99.x.

For those of you who are saying... "What does he mean by a protocol change?": A protocol change means that there is a change in protocol (messages) that the server and client use to communicate. Since 2.99 is in "regular" development adding and changing features, many times, means changing the messages sent back and forth between the server and the client. To connect to a server you need to have a client that "speaks" the exact same "protocol". That presents a problem for pre-built client packages, because those of us who are running 2.99.x servers for testing generally rebuild our servers every night from source (I believe the norang servers are rebuilt every day at midnight). Since the server are rebuilt everyday, any protocol change that happened that day (if one happened) will be on the live servers making any pre-built client no longer able to connect to (or even see) the servers that are out there.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And technically "protocol" is more than just the messages. It is also how the game behaves. So if there is a major change there, we also might change the protocol version.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

die muszx double
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by die muszx double »

Thanks you two!
My apple mac is natural

die muszx double