Upgraded tanks

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Upgraded tanks

Post by Crallion »

I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the tanks a bit. Make them look a bit more realistic. That would enhance the gameplay graphics a lot and its not a very difficult change, seeing the outcome.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Upgraded tanks

Post by Bambino »

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=12234
JeffM wrote:ducktape
the code is in the 2.99 branch so it will be part of 3.0 when it ships. I am currently working on the specifics of HOW the client will handle the swapping of them. At the very least you will be able to change the model that is show for all tanks on your display.

This specific tank model will not be part of the game, since it can never be open sourced.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I believe that code was removed from the development version, so at this point it is not likely going to be in 3.0.0.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it wasn't removed, it was disabled. We'll work on that after 3.0 is released.
ImageJeffM
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

Cool
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.
fluffy mcduff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fluffy mcduff »

why not have a library of tanks included, and players will be able to choose which one before they play? that way their tank model won't have to be sent out to every player. either that, or players can have an option to turn off the downloading of other player's tank models. or the tank model s embedded in whatever map you are playing.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I believe, choosing which tank model will be used will be a client side feature. All tanks will look the same for a given player, but the tank you are seeing will not necessarily be the tanks that your opponent is seeing, as they may have a different one selected.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
fluffy mcduff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fluffy mcduff »

alright, here is my full idea, not a brainstorm:

3.0 will have a library of tanks included, which is not changeable. if it were changeable, tank models would have to be sent over the interwebz, and people could just make an empty file, so they are "permanently cloaked". before playing, the tank model would be chosen from the menu, along with the callsign, the email, and the server. then, you would see a variety of different tanks, which would add a degree of interestingness to the game. new tank models could be submitted through the forum, to be included in the next version of bzflag. but the choice of tank could be overrided by the server, forcing a tank type, or a tank file would be included in the server, and that would be the only way the tank would be different from the preset list.
this opens up all kinds of interesting mapmaking oppritunities, like an AVP map, where one team is the aliens, and one is the predators, and the tank designs are the aliens and the predators :lol-old:

whaddaya think?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

that has always been the general idea. The logistics behind getting valid tank models to players is a little more complex, but is mostly similar to how we handle images now.

The code that does this in bzflag still needs work before it can be activated in a release version. It will not be in 3.0.0
ImageJeffM