A New Playing Style?

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Pizzahead
Corporal
Corporal

A New Playing Style?

Post by Pizzahead »

Okay, so, I was playing on my old Windows ME, which i still have to play games i can't on my iMac. I came across a game with the Last Man Standing mode on it. That gave me an idea. We have Capture The Flag, FFA, King of the Hill, Hold The Flag, and Hunt the Rabbit. I think its time we had a new playing style.

This is how Last Man Standing would work:
The tanks join the server, a map is selected for play, and they wait. A countdown starts, the tanks spawn into the map area. The LMS match starts. Simple.
No radar. Jumping and rico based on the map. Obviously some maps work more than other. For example, LouMan's Mystic Valley, Hide And Seek Hills, etc.

Give me some feedback.
Pizza
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
die muszx double
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: A New Playing Style?

Post by die muszx double »

Hmmm.... Sounds good. Your idea is great, but the setup you're thinking of might need a little editing.
My apple mac is natural

die muszx double
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I really don't think it will work, unless it is a small fast and furious map. With no radar and a difficult or big map (as you suggest), forget it, it would be an epic fail, IMHO. What player is going to join, get killed in the first 10 seconds and then wait for 2-3 minutes (or longer) until the next "match" starts? Answer is.... they won't, so your server will have no players. There was the dodge ball server, which gave a player who dies an area to spawn into and do something (try and score a kill against a player of the opposite team who was still in) to get back "in". That worked very well but was tied very specifically to the map. With the right map and additional ideas as to how to keep players around, this may work. But as a general release plug-in, I really don't see it happening.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Pizzahead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pizzahead »

more than one life? maybe a way to get back in? the dodgeball sounds cool, i would have liked to see it when it was up.

Edit: There would have to be a timelimit on the match.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

Sounds like a cool feuture, but how many people are you thinking you need to make it work? If theres like 5 or less people it could be very boring. Then how could you get any people to play there when you are not there? The best chance you have is setting with it. Like a jungle, a cave, whatever. This could be very hard to make as a game mode though, you might wana try creating ur own mode. A one team ffa where they have to find the flag and bring it back to the base, maybe you could do something like that.
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Survivor games work best with extremely high-paced games such as Quake. BZFlag is not nearly as quick as it would need to be for this. Although I guess it could be if you put laser flags everywhere, made them last a long time, and you made tanks move insanely fast.
Janis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Janis »

why do we need the "Last Man Standing" when there is allready "King Of The Hill"?
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Janis wrote:why do we need the "Last Man Standing" when there is allready "King Of The Hill"?
Because "Last Man Standing" isn't "King of the Hill"?

Last Man Standing:
Everyone has one life, last one alive wins.

King of the Hill:
Infinite lives. In a pre-defined hill, whoever controls it for the longest wins.
Janis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Janis »

me1 wrote:
Janis wrote:why do we need the "Last Man Standing" when there is allready "King Of The Hill"?
Because "Last Man Standing" isn't "King of the Hill"?

Last Man Standing:
Everyone has one life, last one alive wins.

King of the Hill:
Infinite lives. In a pre-defined hill, whoever controls it for the longest wins.
in those both styles is the same point, The Last One!

In the LMS the last player who stays alive is the winner.
In the KOTH, the last player who stays on the server is the winner/king of the hill.

Look... all players prefer to play on those servers where they usually are playing and new "ideas" are being hardly acceptable by them. (and by me as well)

Servers that people are usually playing on are: "MissleWar, Planet Mofo, GamesUnited(HIX), Ducati, Hide'n'Seek, louman's, Castle Warfare, the 2 castles and 3-4 servers more
And now watch.. Server list shows: ~315 servers... on forums you can see that there are 20061 registered users in total, not a fact that even a 1/4 of them plays bzflag, and lets say that 200-300 or even more have second accounts here.
Nowadays you can hardly ever see more than 500 diffrent players per day.

Well the idea is not bad but know what will happen?
That type of game will be played rarely maybe it won't be played at all in the future.
Between, BZFlag is not a Unreal Tournament, counter-strike or any other fps game which has a lot of playing styles.
Maybe we should add bunny-hop and bomb-mode then? :wink:
PS! Do you know that the "plug-in/patch" will be needed first, don't you? :)
die muszx double
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by die muszx double »

That type of game will be played rarely maybe it won't be played at all in the future.
Janis,

You really don't know with these things, if somebody bothers to make a sever dedicated to 'Last Man Standing' and it turns out to be amazing, however, if someone bothers to make it but its rubbish then nobody will play on it. There is a chance that nobody will make it at all, though :lol-old:
My apple mac is natural

die muszx double