a new thought

Discussion for GU League Players
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

a new thought

Post by kierra »

It's me again and in bold :) I am trying to behave, JeffM, truly I am. Unfortunately, I am a woman full of opinions.

I was wondering if there is any way to make a private gu league account for gu membership only...that could be moderated by the gu admins who know the players, the circumstances occurring in the league, etc. That would save the bzbb devs some headaches while at the same time giving voice to the gu players to express ideas, thoughts and opinions as long as they are clean in language and without personal attacks. This league is not just about the admins, it is all the players that are active there that keep it going....not to downplay the admin role, but I think the players' voices are getting ignored, forgotten and worse yet, suppressed.
Last edited by kierra on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Re: a new thought

Post by Saturos »

Yep, we are discussing about this matter at the moment. I think very few people are proud of the current situation, so we're working on a solution.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Please allow the GU admins some time to decide what they wish to do. It's obvious that the situation with a public league forum is not working out the way any of us expected.

While the GU league is not just about the admins, it is the admins who asked for this forum and who we need to talk to about the future of this section.

Leagues tend to be very competitive and rather emotional, and I've always been leery about public sections for them on the project forums. We did this one as a trial to see how it would work out, and well I hate to say it's going exactly as I expected it.

Just to let you all know, I've given them 3 choices.

1) Leave the forum the way it is, public, and make sure the players know that they are guests of the BZFlag project forums and what can be discussed is somewhat limited. This would be the most restrictive option for players.

2) Make the GU forum be private to the GU spawn list. It would still be managed by the BZBB admins, but since it would be private, the scope of what is discussable is increased. It would be acceptable for instance to discuss bans and some items about specific people. Cheat accusations would still be right out, as they are a form of personal attack. This would be less restrictive then #1 but would only allow those in the GU groups to see posts.

3) Move the GU section to it's own forums on it's own server. Internet hosting is very cheap these days, and it the league can set up it's own forums and manage them however it wants. This would be the least restrictive option for players, but the most work for the admins.

These are the options.

Please don't ask us to change our policy on moderation just for GU, we won't. I'm sorry if that seems mean but it's just something that the project doesn't want to get into right now ( different rules for different groups). If its' going to be on the URL my.bzflag.org/bb then it's all going to use the rules we've been using for over the past 5 years.

Also please talk to the GU admins before you suggest things, like it or not, they ARE in charge of the league and do maintain it's services.
ImageJeffM
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

My dear gu admins,
Not to sound impatient or anything....more curious as to how things are going with this discussion. Are we close to any decision?
respectfully asking,
kierra
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

well, you have obviously decided on private.
Next question: Is this a stopgap measure while you look into other options that allow a lil more freedom of discussion?
You do realize that those not yet on gu list cannot even see the "gu league discussion" header on the board index. Nothing to pique their interest or lure them into gu. :?
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

There was nothing there for years and years before a few months ago, and the league has still recruited new and active players. Heck, if anything, this will encourage those who are not on the gu list to apply for membership so they can read what's going on with the league.

I believe the admins made the best suited move available.
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

Code: Select all

You do realize that those not yet on gu list cannot even see the "gu league discussion" header on the board index.
It has been asked to allow to make the forum section visible for guests like you menion. But I dont know yet if its possible. Let us hope it is :)
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

I definitely think the private set-up is the best solution, as long as we figure out an easy way to make it accessible to new players, should they have interest. I agree with slime too, that since we've set-up the BZBB gu forums, so many more players have given regular input and we've been able to have some really substantial discussions. :)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

birdie wrote:

Code: Select all

You do realize that those not yet on gu list cannot even see the "gu league discussion" header on the board index.
It has been asked to allow to make the forum section visible for guests like you menion. But I dont know yet if its possible. Let us hope it is :)
It is not, that's the entire point of making it private.
ImageJeffM
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

It'd probably just be best to make a note on the gu page, that when signing up to the league, this forum will be available to them.