BZFlag website

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
WorldOfTanks23
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag website

Post by WorldOfTanks23 »

We all know BZFlag is a great game but I think the BZFlag website simply doesn't invite newbies to try it out. There should be WAY more screenshots (I have a couple that I'd love to be posted) and a high-quality Flash movie (Vimeo HD) would really look great (I'd like to make one but don't know how to).

We really need more players, I've noticed for years that there are rarely more than 100 players online at any given moment, which I find sad for such a great game. There should be at least 10 times that number playing.
blast
General
General

Re: BZFlag website

Post by blast »

At some point we'll replace the entire main site with something that's easier to maintain and update.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Cygal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cygal »

The wikipedia page could use an update, too. At least the screenshot.
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

well, the main reason a lot of people dont play bz cause they had no way of finding it. Its more of the advirtisement that needs to be worked on. I never would have found the game if i never had this one friend. Usually, if people even find the homepage, they probably wont not download it.
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

gentle giant wrote:Usually, if people even find the homepage, they probably wont not download it.
Double-negatives are a no-no ;-)
EDIT: No pun intended
Anyway, yeah, BZFlag could use a better website. I thought it was great until you guys make it have those weird-looking non-tankish vector images all over the main page. I could help work on a new website if you want; I have an XHTML/CSS template, so you could make that look like pretty much anything you want by editing the CSS.
FKA Ratfink
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It's probably better to not worry about that for now. The design required might really depend on what system we end up using. Drupal was the prime candidate, but it's something that could be researched further.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Dr Robotnik
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dr Robotnik »

Advertising can be accomplished rather easily by viral video, messaging, etc. Just need to get the momentum started. As for the site, I think its fine, just needs more gameplay information rather then technical. Your average person will look at BZFlag and say "Those graphics suck" and walk away. I saw it happen yesterday on a server I was playing on, and it was textured nicely too.
Admin and Support Supervisor for BZAddict. Need a BZFlag map hosted? Register today at bzaddict.net!
My Maps: Plaza (bzaddict.net 5198) Final Zone Collab (bzaddict.net 5199
Snooping as usual I see? Yes, yes you are.
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

BZFlag graphics don't suck, at least not in 2.99.x. Ever seen that on experimental graphics mode? It's beautiful! I wish I could have graphics that nice in 2.0.x.
FKA Ratfink
Dr Robotnik
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dr Robotnik »

I am not the one who said that-Some random troll did. Said his xbox is better or something..

But that does not matter. Experimental looks good.
Admin and Support Supervisor for BZAddict. Need a BZFlag map hosted? Register today at bzaddict.net!
My Maps: Plaza (bzaddict.net 5198) Final Zone Collab (bzaddict.net 5199
Snooping as usual I see? Yes, yes you are.
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

The only problem i have expierienced with the homepage is the download part. It seems a lot easier clicking on the download link on the side then clicking on the downloads. The download link will get u to a basic starting block that should be easy to figuire out. The download box is more looked at and it has all the downloadable bzaccesories for everyone. Iv heard of some people that got confused in there and downloaded the wrong thing.

Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

For advertising I would love to take some video of me / other people playing and put it together into a video in youtube with background music ect..
if anybody would like me to do this just post it here. :D

...BZFlag Forever.
Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

Hey, check out this bzflag promo video I made in about 10 mins (yeah it kinda sucks) :P

http://bzmapping.netii.net/gallery.html

IMPORTANT!!! The original video is from here (not my making) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F3o93_j1WU

...BZFlag Forever.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

heh that video was ok gmangrey

i have fce and know how to use it if anyone wants me to give it a shot. :)

reply if you want me tooo 8)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I was wanting to test out the video quality, so I recorded a short clip from BZFlag at 1280x720 (the recommended resolution for HD video in both youtube and vimeo) at 30FPS using fraps, then converted it to H.264 at a high bitrate (16mbps) using MediaCoder, and uploaded it to youtube and vimeo. Here's the result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf4GyEGmC3Y (Click on the "HD")
http://www.vimeo.com/5454034

The video quality on vimeo looks better, though it's also a smaller video frame. Main problem with the free accounts in vimeo is that you can only upload one HD video a week, and I there is also a limit on how many embedded play in HD will be shown.
Every new Vimeo Plus user gets a free trial of 25,000 HD embedded plays. If you want more, you can purchase an additional 10,000 HD embedded plays for $24.95. You can even choose exactly which sites can embed your video in HD, so you never waste any of your precious HD embedded plays.
So for that, I'm liking youtube better.

But that's not really a big thing to worry about right now. The bigger challenge is making a good website and video that will make people want to download. The graphics in the game, even in 3.0.0, still don't compare to recent commercial FPS games. So in lieu of that, it needs to show why the game is fun. :) BZFlag certainly makes up for graphics with the gameplay.

Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

Yeah bro, that quality is awesome.
Maybe it would be possible to get a 3rd person view of the tank for several seconds on and off for the promo?

if I were to debate between youtube and vimeo blast I would go for youtube...
And the current bzflag site isn't that bad, not bad at all it just needs some updating :D

...BZFlag Forever.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

No, the main site is pretty horrid, minus the graphics on the main page ;)

That clip was just a short example, since I didn't want to spend hours transcoding the video, and then hours uploading it. (It was about a 30 minute upload just for that, since it was a 60MB video file)

Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

okay, I just didn't want to offend any of the admins that actually like the main site :mrgreen:
When the site "update" does eventual happen will the forums be replaced also??

...BZFlag Forever.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'm assuming you're referring to the forum theme? Anything is possible. But I don't see it happening at the same time. It's a lot of work.

Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

Yeah I was referring to the theme.
but first things first- the main page,
Yeah I guess it would be a lot of work. :P

...BZFlag Forever.
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

Perhaps a artwork project much like spreadfirefox, with some witty catch phrases and great banners. There are many members of bzflag with separate websites that would be glad to help spread bzflag. I know I would :)
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I would also be glad to do something like this, ahs3. I think that's a pretty good idea to get more players to try BZFlag.
FKA Ratfink
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Not to try and ruin anything here, but I'd just like to say that maybe advertising is *not* a great idea for the game. The thing that I think makes bzflag so special is its very small community, especially in the leagues. Pretty much every active bzflag player knows every other active bzflag player, and if there are a lot more players coming in from advertisements and such, it won't be as great as a community anymore. Maybe it would be better just to let people slowly trickle in and give the community time to accept ( assimilate :twisted: ) them.
Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

Yes, I agree sort of quantum, but we should have some advertising.
Not an insane amount though.

...BZFlag Forever.
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

well, leagues and advirtising come from a lot of different views. How many people that first join play 24/7 on the public gu server or dub? Also, they have to register and how long will it take them to register? Some mite love the game, some mite not. They will probably play and stick with the noobish maps to start out with.

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

An advertisement really wouldn't work that well if they get to the site and go "eww".. ;)