Official league match server..

Discussion for GU League Players
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Official league match server..

Post by dexter »

I must admit that until two weeks ago, I had never heard of this player in the league before. Since then I've talked to him a couple of times - he seems nice enough, but a short convo or two doesn't say much. But I don't think we can be too picky at the moment, since this is the first real offer we've gotten in years that actually has potential

To the server itself: I guess my lag reasonably good, considering the server's location and mine, although I don't have much comparison. It does seem better than the Australia -> Euro server lag though.

Code: Select all

15 packets transmitted, 15 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 291.316/293.882/299.773/2.836 ms
The NZ/Aussie players definitely deserve a chance to play offi's with low lag, although I'm sure there won't be many European players that agree to play with 300ms. Observing matches will also be rather annoying, as every close shot will look like a clear through for us - but NZ/Aussie players have had to deal with that until now too. I think it's only fair to give them the opportunity of having a low-lag server to play on. Euro/American players will just have to decide whether they want to match with 300+ms or not.

Although I don't really see the immediate rush of making the server official - we've done without one for four years, a couple more weeks to test and make sure the server is stable shouldn't be a big deal.
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

dexter wrote: Although I don't really see the immediate rush of making the server official - we've done without one for four years, a couple more weeks to test and make sure the server is stable shouldn't be a big deal.
As I said, the server is up for testing only at the moment.
I must admit that until two weeks ago, I had never heard of this player in the league before. Since then I've talked to him a couple of times - he seems nice enough, but a short convo or two doesn't say much. But I don't think we can be too picky at the moment, since this is the first real offer we've gotten in years that actually has potential
You are right, Grans Remedy is NOT a regular GU player, but he has been in bz since the times you were at kinder garden :P

I mean, some people have know him for 5+ years in the happy times of Secret Place. He has been admin and running several public servers since.

Enjoy the lag :)
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

thank you qd, we wil try to fm there as much as possible, thanks for the trust you've given us :]
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Oh I am not doubting his integrity, at all Just saying that I didn't know how well yet, nor do a lot of players in the community. But people who've been around for so many years are usually good people. :)
Grans Remedy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Grans Remedy »

dexter wrote:I must admit that until two weeks ago, I had never heard of this player in the league before. Since then I've talked to him a couple of times - he seems nice enough, but a short convo or two doesn't say much.
That's most likely because up until a few weeks ago I wasn't in the league! :P

Llrr and Mopar have already mentioned to me that I need to sort out a replay server for matches played on it, and probably upgrade it to 2.0.13, but it's nice to know that its at least being considered. Can matches be deleted after a certain time period - eg monthly?

I set up this server (originally gransplace.co.nz) because you can only put up with so many years of 'fix your lag', 'nice lag', and my favourite 'cheat! i shot u'.

I was hoping it would encourage new players from this part of the world - but have had limited success. Certainly I've noticed lots of new players, but they tend to head to the 'spray n pray' servers - probably because of the greater number of players.

I'm not going to make any promises about being more active in the league. But I'm sure you'll see me around from time to time, even if just as an obs. Some of you just run rings around me - makes my head spin some of the tricks you pull :D

So, there it is. I pay the bills, and want to see the server used and enjoyed - especially by fellow Kiwis :wink:

Grans
No coffee, no workee
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Probably best to eventually set up a site like http://quol.bzflag.bz/bzmatches if the server really does end up becoming official. Most owners keep replay files that date years back and sometimes it's good to keep archives.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Just a quick question, how much memory does a 30min recording take up...MB wise...
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

A match can be anything from 2 Mb (for a 2vs2) to 6 Mb (for a 4vs4). Something above 7Mb is rare so I estimate 5Mb as a good average estimate. If you think of 2 matches per day on the NZ server on average you have 10 Mb per day, decide how much disk space you can spare and you got a rough estimate of how long you can keep the recordings. If needed I can provide more space for longer backups that can be set up automatically if we need it.

qd
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

I just compared 10 random 2v2 replays and the average size was 3,029 mb. So 3 mb for a 2v2 replay, I'd say.

P.S.: I could also offer disk space if required.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Wow, I was expecting a much larger file, thanks guys!
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

k i played an fm there today. me and feral1 vs 2 americans. the lag was great. one problem. passing on the pyra things under the strips doesnt work. the flag goes up onto the platform.

and yes. grans has been around for a lonnnnng time :).
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

dexter wrote:Oh I am not doubting his integrity, at all Just saying that I didn't know how well yet, nor do a lot of players in the community. But people who've been around for so many years are usually good people. :)
If we're talking about Grans Remedy, then this is untrue. Many players know him well (albeit from outside of the league) from the past several years as a respectable player and admin on servers such as silvercat, norang and Missile Wars, etc. The players who don't know him will be primarily the ones new to the game.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

There are a lot of new ones to the game. :)
Grans Remedy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Grans Remedy »

As much as I enjoy people discussing my "integrity" on an anonymous public forum :roll: it's really pretty simple: its up to the GU-League admins to say which servers can be used for official matches and which cant. So, lets move on...

A couple of server type questions:
What generates the 5 second countdown restart (ie resuming from a timer/server-side pause)? If this a separate plugin could someone be so kind as to tell me which one? Are there any other plugins which are needed?

What should the lagwarn be set to for official matches? Someone suggested 400ms which I find hard to believe. 300 seems to me to be too high, I would've thought 200 or 150 even.

My server is currently running 2.0.8 but I understand the official ones must be 2.0.12 - is that right? In order to get the world file to load, i had to disable this var: _enableDistanceCheck 1 I must be getting old I haven't seen this before (or dont remember it)...what does this var do and is it required for offi matches?

Cheers
Grans

-bleh, edited typos
No coffee, no workee
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

When you compile 2.0.13, the 5 sec. countdown timer before a /countdown resume will be there, as far as I can remember at least. You're also going to want to compile and load the TimeLimit plugin. Source for that: http://catay.be/bzplugins/TimeLimit/Tim ... .4.tar.bz2
Enables people to set a specific time for a matches, good for resuming a postponed match or even a 15 minute funmatch.

About the lagwarn, setting something lower than 220 wouldn't make much sense, as all Euro and American players are going to lag at least 220ms there. As far as I know, the other servers don't use one either. Just packetloss and jitter warnings if at all. Players usually deal with high lag themselves in matches and figure out what is playable and not.

You shouldn't need the '_enableDistanceCheck 1' var for the server. I don't have it set for mine either.
Grans Remedy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Grans Remedy »

Yes, that was it thanks (upgraded to 2.0.12). The only sources I can find are for 2.0.12 - I presume that is the current stable release, and 2.0.13 is the cvs version?
No coffee, no workee
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

I added the countdown resuming delay in a later version than 2.0.8 but I don't remember which one it was, it's controlled by a variable called _countdownResumeDelay (_countdownResumeTime in svn trunk) as I found the idea quite handy.

CVS is not used by BZFlag anymore, the stuff you want is in svn v2_0branch.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I would argue that league match servers should have lagwarn disabled. People playing there are either there by arrangement or are just fooling around for the most part, so there's not really any point in lagwarn. If there are network issues, they are dealt with outside of a lagkick.
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

umm zac, i think the pass pyra thing is fixed, i tried there and it works, might have to test it more to make sure it works always. and disabling lagwarn is a good idea, no point since we're always going to organise matches there, it isn't exactly a public server.
Grans Remedy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Grans Remedy »

Ok, I've disabled lagwarn and lagdrop. Upgraded to 2.0.12 - which fixed the 5 second countdown timer. Added the /timelimit plugin so that fms can be set to whatever time you want. Permissions re-jigged so now only GU-League admins (and me) are admins (can someone test this and confirm its working?). Have also loaded the recordmatch plugin, but havent tried it out yet. Will get port 5159 working soon(ish) to see if the /replay commands work.
Anything I've missed?

Cheers
Grans
No coffee, no workee
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Not that it's crucial in some way, but why not use 2.0.13?..
https://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/svnr ... ch/bzflag/
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

2.0.13 has a couple useful fixes, such as preventing an exploit related to the /me command.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Ok, a couple things I noticed today while testing:

• probably want to move the server to p 5158
• only give people in the gu.league usergroup the talk perm (sk3letron was talking there earlier)

Just wondering if this is fixed in 2.0.13.. I'm guessing it is from what blast said. Sk3letron joined the server earlier and made all the console text for both Baron and me vanish. After that he preformed a little something for us: http://bzpro.net/sk3.png
So probably a really good idea to upgrade. :)