Team Voice Chat

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
THE BLAZED ONE
Private
Private

Team Voice Chat

Post by THE BLAZED ONE »

I think that the only time u can comunicate with your team is when your dead. But if i could get enough suporters i think we could have this changed.
joevano
General
General

Re: Team Voice Chat

Post by joevano »

So how do you propose that you will get this changed? And more importantly why would anyone want it changed? Team coordination can be very powerful in game.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you only talk with your team while you are dead, then the problem is with you, not the game. Learn to type faster or use shorthand.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I agree with blast. I chose the former approach.
FKA Ratfink
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

i rly tink dat u shuld b able 2 talk all da time do u agre wif mee?

Really, if you join a league, a lot of talking about strategy happens when you're alive.

This would only make things harder for yourself, and others.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
MACGOSS
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MACGOSS »

I agree with Blast because he's smart. Also I don't like talking when I'm alive let alone when I'm dead....which ain't often.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Also note that I use the mouse for movement, so I can continue to move while I'm in the middle of writing a message.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

fluffy mcduff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fluffy mcduff »

oh, so THATS how you do it... im more of a joystick person, and when thats not available, keyboard. but I also have been a supporter of the idea of voice chat built in.
Bippwatt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bippwatt »

While I risk making a life time enemy (jk) I have to disagree with Blast on this. The only time you can talk and not garble your message is when your dead, otherwise you risk dying again and again...and shorthand? Everyone will make a new short hand and no one will understand each other.
Then what do you have? Mindless charges on bases when what someone really tried to say was "Don't attack! They have [insert mind-boggling number of {weapon here}]!"

Team Voice chat would work awesomely....and you can all chose to disagree but that's fine. I like being right while everyone is wrong. :lol-old: joking.
Pure Rage is only useful when you have the Useless flag.

Death is just one more way for Life to be a real jerk.

I would feel sorry for you, but the sound of my 500+ score is just too distracting.

Tanks. We made them so we wouldn't have put ourselves in needless danger...so what do we do? We make things that blow tanks up as easy as killing any infantry fool. We did that with jets too...and bows, and catapults and.....is anyone seeing a pattern? I am.
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

if you want voice chat, get something like MSN messenger, and use it's "voice chat" feature while on BZFlag. sure, your lag will skyrocket (unless you got good connection), but who cares! you can hear when half a dozen of your teammates yell "help!" at the same time in 6 different languages! lol
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
Strakowski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Strakowski »

I would actually prefer not to actually talk using voice chat. I would feel a little uncomfortable communicating with other players like that. It's also very hard to censor a voice chat, no? It might detract from the clean image of bzflag. On the other hand, it would be great for co-op stuff, but I've got to agree with Agent West here.

Another option: "Mumble" (http://mumble.sourceforge.net/) is designed for this purpose exactly.
G4JC
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by G4JC »

I was just getting ready to suggest Mumble but it looks as if Strakowski beat me to it.
Although I think Voice Chat should be turned off by default, it could be useful to have P2P voice chat with specific users in a game or room via integrated Mumble or a similar service. One major issue is lag as Agent West mentioned -- especially for people like me who have Dial-Up still. :P

Xfire also already supports Voice Chat and full in-game compatibility with BZFlag, but it's Windows Only (At least until GFire get's support for it). :D
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

one possible option will be to use "quick keys" type deal, but instead of just words on screen it will be voice (think of Counter Strike voice commands). This should not increase lag, or at least not as bad as actual voice chat. I do not see a particular advantage for doing that though.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

As far as Mumble is concerned, I believe that BZFlag 3.0 will have support for positional sound - which means that on mumble, chat will be panned so that whoever is talking will sound as though they are talking from their tank in game.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon