Been gone for awhile....... "BZWORKBENCH"

General talk about the map making process.
Delta Lead
Private First Class
Private First Class

Been gone for awhile....... "BZWORKBENCH"

Post by Delta Lead »

Ive been inactive for quite sometime. Nice New Forums, but did bzworkbench ever actually come out?
"This Is The Way The World Ends"

Im busy with life be back after 2008 ends.....
blast
General
General

Re: Been gone for awhile... "BZWORKBENCH"

Post by blast »

No, it hasn't been touched much (or at all) since the end of GSoC.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Delta Lead
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Delta Lead »

That sucks, well at least I still remember how to hand code and use bzedit. :cry:

Hmm last ,map I created I never got around to finishing the hand-codes.... I need to learn about textures.
"This Is The Way The World Ends"

Im busy with life be back after 2008 ends.....
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

Are they ever going to finish bzworkbench, or did they get everybodies hopes up for nothing? If so, when will it be released?
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Metroid Prime wrote:Are they ever going to finish bzworkbench, or did they get everybodies hopes up for nothing? If so, when will it be released?
It will be released as soon as you start working on it and finish it. Everyone who works on this project does it in their spare time [and not so spare time], for fun. They do not get paid. The person who worked on BZWorkbench for GSoC got busy with real life and moved on, and we were all happy for him. This is a community based project where the members of the community do the work. If you are volunteering to finish it up we would be more than happy to have you...

PS Also, there is no "they" in open source software. Not knowing how to work on it is not really a valid excuse. Everyone starts somewhere. If it means enough to you to have the software then you need to invest some of your time into it. After all you don't have to pay for any of this.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

Then how can I help? (dont know programming languages, besides very basic python)
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

You can learn. Nothing happens when people just sit and say "I only do....." This is an open source project "they" is us, all of us. There is no mysterious cabal of people who magically make software. Software is made when people, this includes me, you , and everyone else, works on it. If you really want to help with the project, and do not have the skills to do so, then the only logical course of action is to get those skills or stop wanting to help, your choice.

BZWorkbench will be worked on this summer as part of one of the Summer Of Code Projects. The student will be concentrating on finishing up the backend of the system and building a usable interface. This does not mean that anyone can ensure that it will be a fully functional editing solution by any set timeframe, just that a student has applied to work on it.
ImageJeffM
yarro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yarro »

So learning python would be a good thing? Any advice as where to start with the workbench? what needs to be done. what is a good reference or code library or etc to study so as to be able to do something useful? :book:
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Yarro wrote:So learning python would be a good thing? Any advice as where to start with the workbench? what needs to be done. what is a good reference or code library or etc to study so as to be able to do something useful? :book:
Come out to the IRC channel to discuss this. Learning python will have no bearing, in any way, with working on BZWorkbench. If I were you I would download the source code for it from the BZFlag SVN repository...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
yarro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yarro »

The consensus from chat is that I'm probably am not going to be able to code according to the moderator who was present... Guess I have too much to learn. May still do a bit more research. :tired: