CMS IM could used for bzflag

Discussions about the various leagues
sussi
Private First Class
Private First Class

CMS IM could used for bzflag

Post by sussi »

My suggestions,

-use a real CMS with rights, so teamleader would be able to organise their teams here, instead using seperated-websites. Maybe player could blog about their matches etc.

-instead of big groups (like now), use cms:group-rights for bzflag-group rights. If a match is started, using a comand like /invite let only teamies of that group join the map:color. The server is quering the the CMS for the group/team members.

-Zelo count instead of team the average.teamY.score. It would attract weaker player to match. I mean if a player with zelo 1500 and a 2. with zelo 1100 play in a match in 1 team. 1500+1100/2=1300 is the teamscore, the rest is unchanged. If swop during match calculate with seconds.

- What i really would like to see, is using of Instant Messanger Technologie for the bzflag-chat-board, build a connection from InstantMessanger to bzflag and back.
Message from Im into bzflag, like you see in bzflag bz_sussi@jabber.cc is calling you. If connecting to a website, the client is loging on to a server, show this directly (perhaps on a website in summary), not polling the server. Than the league website could show, what team have enough player to match, not only curently hanging out on bzflag, just online in IM and willing to match, could be done ifusing the status field from the IM to say willing to match. And the question could directly addressed from the website.

Zeebrothers website shows basicly what i mean. http://zeebrothers.net/members.php

LG sussi
strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: CMS IM could used for bzflag

Post by strayer »

The idea of a CMS for all leagues isn't new.

JeffM (just to say one name) tries to encourage everyone to participate (or initiate) the work on a social oriented CMS for league stuff. As you can see there is nothing working already. Beside human lazyness there are several issues/aspects to handle:
a) Getting all leagues together
> Haha, you'll never get all leagues working together. They all have too different requirements.
b) Desiding for a CMS
> This will fail too. (see point a)
c) Using BZFlag's global group and player auth. system
> At the moment there exists no API which delivers the information you'll need.

The only chance for you is to find a small group of players out of all main leagues sharing your vision (best would be league admins). Then you can choose a CMS you'll work on and implement everything you think the leagues will need. (Don't forget to let it flexible for each league for further implementations.)
Finally you have to pray the leagues will migrate to your CMS(where you invested lots of time and code already).

As an alternative you can develop all the services you want to have seperately and offer them to the leagues. In my eyes you'll have the best results this way.

This might sound pessimistic but ... well ... :o)
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I don't think that leagues would necessarily want to use a centralized system. Currently each league seems to tweak the league system a bit to suit their needs, and they wouldn't be able to do this anymore.

The second thing you mentioned should be handled via a bzfs plugin.

BZFlag 2.99.x currently has a global chat system in place.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

The other real issue that wasn't mentioned is that the leagues are not part of the project. We try and support them when and where we can (ie the GU League forum topics here) but each league has their own leadership. Any support that is given is always a balancing act of what we can provide and the limits we place on the services provided and what the league leadership wants.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
sussi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sussi »

I offered a package of 3 Items:

-CMS

-Instant Messenger Technologies

-count team-member-played-match

Only if all 3 would be made into live, than can you doing fancy things.

The key is to yous a CMS with group-rights.

Say
Root= group_developer

below group_admins= league-DUB league-GU

below Teams, belonging either to 1 group

teamies belonging to a team

Now if someone want to create a new league just create a new group_admins

If a team want to play in the new league just add it (additional to the league-group) to the new created group.

Not worth to say how easy writing editing and controlling is in a CMS, just every group do it own.

Now you found a team what is online sent the whole team a message to invite them to match.( just by the message-form on this website)

If not by telling you get the message to you workspace by IM. How great?!

Joining the match server, as obs, type /invite color, than you can join that color, you and only your team.

If no match realize, just type /gameover, all color not blocked anymore.

Now you team-ZELO is perhaps 1600. But 2 teamies with individual score of 1400 and 1200 going to play, the temporal-teamscore is 1300.
They win maybe 50 point the new team_score is 1600 plus 50= 1650. That would encourage all team-member to play.
If 1 member is only playing 100 second, count it by percentage.

My suggestion is talk about, not saying immediately (like an Indian guru) oh now that will never work.

LG sussi
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

The purpose, framework, and objectives that the leagues and the project have diverge on many points. Implementing a CMS would be EASY compared to bringing them together under one happy umbrella, IMHO.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln