Physics for things like roads

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Physics for things like roads

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I sometimes create 'roads' for aesthetic reasons: mainly very flat meshboxes, usually with drivethrough.

It'd be nice if I could associate a physics driver with them that would make tanks in contact move a bit faster than usual, in whatever direction they want to go; perhaps by a factor I could specify in the driver, so that country lanes wouldn't speed you up as much as highways would. I don't want to just decrease friction, because turning shouldn't become sliding; rather I just want the tank to move better on roads.

This would add some strategic value to roads; by varying the speedup, map makers could make this range between nearly no effect to a dominant one.
Strakowski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Physics for things like roads

Post by Strakowski »

I'm all for this idea. The current X-Y-Z linear acceleration makes some great highways, but it would add so much to be able to make stuff like mud stickier and asphalt faster. I don't think there's anyway this could possibly contribute negatively towards gameplay. Should there be a variable for turning speed as well? I don't really see it adding that much, but on super-fast roads...
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Physics for things like roads

Post by clarahobbs »

I believe this has already been suggested by someone. I think it was Agent West, but I'm not sure. And I like the idea a lot.
FKA Ratfink