What (if anything) do you listen to when playing BZ?

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
BladeBuddy
Private First Class
Private First Class

What (if anything) do you listen to when playing BZ?

Post by BladeBuddy »

Well? What if anything do you all listen to when playing BZFlag?

Because of my compulsion to have some white noise I often prefer the tunes of Junkie XL - although I personally depsise modern British Music, Beatles and Rolling Stones are still pretty good in my book. Sadly "All you Need is Love" does not go hand in hand with bullet shots and tanks - so Junkie XL it is.

On rare occasion when I'm not playing at work or home - I enjoy the company of a ticking overhead fan - or the hissing of a heater.

And you?
Apple Computers
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: What (if anything) do you listen to when playing BZ?

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Anything that's a good tune: I like a lot of rock, alternative and indie, which is what takes up about 60% of my library - right through from the 60s to current. I like a lot of dance music too, from funky house to ambient stuff. Bit of metal, some jazz and funk, one pop-latin band (check out The Cat Empire). Throw in a few pop hits for a good mix, the odd podcast and some audiobooks, and you've got my music library.

I don't really like classifying whole genres of music into 'likes' and 'dislikes'. I tend to find there's normally something you like to listen to in every genre (Even if you might not always want to admit it!)

Check out my last.fm, if you really want to see in depth stats on my listening habits http://www.last.fm/user/icecoldtrashcan
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
BladeBuddy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by BladeBuddy »

I used Spazzy's Last fm to create this:
http://www.last.fm/user/Amanwithrifle
Apple Computers
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

I actually listen to classical music most of the time, and I do often listen to music while playing bz. I'm not completely single-minded though (as some classical musicians are), I also like jazz, some rock, and a lot of Irish trad.
Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

Once in awhile I'll listen to some music while playing bzflag... when I do its coldplay... :D

...BZFlag Forever.
Strakowski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Strakowski »

gmangrey wrote:Once in awhile I'll listen to some music while playing bzflag... when I do its coldplay... :D
Ah, a fellow Coldplay fan. Saw them in concert this summer. Breathtaking.

However, when I'm BZFlagin, I am strictly Credence Clearwater Revival, with the occasional swash of Modest Mouse. When I'm feeling particularly whimsical, I am liable to break out some Shins or other uplifting indie.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Strakowski wrote:Ah, a fellow Coldplay fan. Saw them in concert this summer. Breathtaking.
They are brilliant live, I've seen them twice now. The second time was a couple of weeks after MJ died, and Chris Martin played Billie Jean. It was pure genius.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Strakowski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Strakowski »

Spazzy McGee wrote: They are brilliant live, I've seen them twice now. The second time was a couple of weeks after MJ died, and Chris Martin played Billie Jean. It was pure genius.
Wow, that's really strange, I saw them around the same time (2-3 weeks after MJ), but I was here in the states. I had a VIP Pass and got to check out all the electronics behind it; there are so many pieces that make that concert work, it's amazing everything goes according to plan. They end precisely at 10:53 or something every concert.
Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

Yeah, I've had the chance to help a team set up and take down equipment for a good sized concert (3000 people). And it was truly amazing how everything works together... I'm a tech guy but even that stuff amazes me :D

...BZFlag Forever.
Colorm4d
Private
Private

Post by Colorm4d »

Lessee, my bzplaylist has... the killers, owl city, e.s. posthumus, linkin park, rihanna, lady gaga, fireflight, rob thomas, some techno... o_O
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

Buraka Som Systema - Kalemba (wuege wuege) !
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

Dusturbed, Ozzy, Crazy Frog, Scooter, Offspring, AC/DC, Manson, Rammstein... to name a few
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

Listen to my pregame soccer warmup that has stronger by kanye, burn it to the ground by nickelback, run this town by jay-z, welcome to the jungle by scorpians, holiday by green day, and sugar and right round by flo rida.

Usualy when I listen to these songs I play worse, but it puts me in my "happy place" and I'll have fun no matter what is happening.
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

I am very serious about two channel audio, and I usually listen to music in the background while I play bzf. I like alternative pop, rock, soul, jazz, and alternative folk, although I usually listen to Led Zepplin, The Who, or other rock bands when I play bzf. When I am not playing bzf, female singers/songwriters and female vocalists are my favorites, such as the brilliant Martha Wainwright, Erin Bode, Shelby Lynne, Rachel Yamagata, Keren Ann, Mia Doi Todd, Eva Cassidy, Vienna Teng, Lucinda Williams, Feist, Dusty Springfield, Dionne Warwick, Sonya Kitchell, Priscilla Ahn, and Patricia Barber. I also like Neil Young, Al Green, and Marvin Gaye, among others. With the increasing conveniences in audio playback technology, I currently mostly listen to AIFF files from my computer's optical output through an external DAC, then into a tube preamplifier and either a tube amplifier or a solid state amplifier. I still spin a lot of vinyl because digital sources just can't compare to analog sources, mastering notwithstanding, in my opinion, and when an album that I like is available on vinyl, I buy both the CD and the LP.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

crazystringgirl wrote:e.s. posthumus
Absolute Genius.

Boresnake, I couldn't agree more. Until about 6 months ago, I had never listened to vinyls - but just before I left for university, my dad gave me his vinyl collection. It amazes me how rich and warm it sounds. Even though the bitrate of CDs supposedly gives a high enough resolution that the human ear can't tell, they still sound so harsh and electronic.
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

With a good table, arm, cartridge, and phono stage, vinyl just gets even better. The clicks and pops that some people hear is usually just dirt on the records, and with a good cleaning, LPs can be dead quiet.
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

The clicks and pops are what I love about Vinyl! The sound a LP makes before the recorded song actually starts is so great!
Death Racer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Racer »

For me nothing is better than the odd sound of shooting. I hate to listen to the music while playing BZ, or any other game. It makes me feel sick. :gross:
:tired: But, sometimes when I do listen, the songs vary from dance/techno - rock/rap..I'm an overall listener, well at least till the song is worthy to listen.
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

Spazzy McGee wrote:
crazystringgirl wrote:e.s. posthumus
Absolute Genius.

Boresnake, I couldn't agree more. Until about 6 months ago, I had never listened to vinyls - but just before I left for university, my dad gave me his vinyl collection. It amazes me how rich and warm it sounds. Even though the bitrate of CDs supposedly gives a high enough resolution that the human ear can't tell, they still sound so harsh and electronic.
A lot of the harshness and digital artifacts of CDs is related to the analog output of the CD player (and the components downstream, too). A good digital to analog converter (DAC) between the CD player's digital output, bypassing the CDP's internal DAC, and the preamplifier inputs will improve the sound from all but the best CDPs. There are also differences in the sound quality of transporters, whether CD transports or computer-based, but those are issues related to jitter, RMI/EFI, etc.
Abominable
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Abominable »

Top artists that I listen to while I play bzflag would have to be Gojira, Hendrix, Alpha Twins, Daft Punk, Wu Tang Clan, and Pearl Jam :) Something about them that puts me in the right mind set I suppose.
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

and esspecialy
Last edited by Knox on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
filmmaker89
Private
Private

Post by filmmaker89 »

Awesome question! Mostly I listen to my own music. (Yes, I actually am a composer, and it's one of the greatest things in the world!) It's mostly orchestrall, film scores; but some orchestral pop like Josh Groban.
A gopher with an Uzi
Private
Private

Post by A gopher with an Uzi »

I have a bunch of different genre stations on Pandora, and I pick one with a driving Rock beat and little to no slow stuff. Since Pandora attempts to play things "pretty much like" the band or song you specify, most of them are of that type, and it's great music to kill tanks by. Whenever Pandora goofs and the song is either slow or just not what I want for BZ, I wait till I die and then bring up Pandora and FF to the next song before I respawn.

Since my computer audio is playing both Pandora internet radio and BZ sounds, I have no problem with the audio quality -- a little like four wheeling with Creedence or Deep Purple or Boston or (etc) playing: a cassette tape is fine, since it doesn't skip, and the truck noise is too high to worry much about pristine cymbal work or other hi-fi music elements.

Of course, going on a rampage during the finale of the 1812 Overture is truly awe-inspiring... Do It Yourself Cannonfire.
penguin_lover
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by penguin_lover »

I listen to trance :)
Penguin_lover aka Penguin_eater ( I eat Mudkip... nom nom nom nom )
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Eminem