News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
Tank 52
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tank 52 »

Im not going to ask about the release date or anything like that..since ive already seen other forums and the answers about it,and i just want to know what the differences will actually be from 2.0.10 to 3.0.
Like,any new game modes new flags different graphics? If someone who's actually working on it could tell me a bit about it or send me a link,I'd appreciate it..
Try to look unimportant,they may be low on ammo
Teamwork is essential,it gives them other people to shoot at.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

If you really wanna know, grab the SVN source and build it yourself. If you have built BZFlag 2.0 from source then you should be able to handle it.

From playing with it, I can tell you that there aren't really any big changes between this and 3.0. Once you get past the shiny new ./configure script, the new shot appearances, the (currently) two new flags, and some minor interface changes, it's pretty much the same old game. Except highly unstable. ;-)

There's a wiki page about BZFlag 3.0 if you wanna know more.
Tank 52
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tank 52 »

Thanks i guess i got a good look at some screenshots of it from the link but that's it not to mention when develpement began,but what flag types exactly? And what do you mean a few minor changes? Heh, maybe be more specific is what i should've said :P
Try to look unimportant,they may be low on ammo
Teamwork is essential,it gives them other people to shoot at.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

there are not many flags in 3.0. mostly we are working on back end changes. Low Gravity and Cloaked Shot are the main ones.
ImageJeffM
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

JeffM wrote:there are not many flags in 3.0. mostly we are working on back end changes. Low Gravity and Cloaked Shot are the main ones.
What does Cloaked Shot do? I saw the low gravity on the 2.1 alpha but what does Cloaked Shot do?
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Cloaked Shot does for your shots what Cloaking does for your tank; i.e., your shots will be visible on radar, but on on your HUD.
??? Lauria
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ??? Lauria »

Stealth is to Cloak as Invisible Bullet is to Cloaked Shot.
Stop chewing that phonecord, young man!
Andy
Private
Private

Re: 3.0....

Post by Andy »

Personally, I would like to see BZFlag become a little more like Tron: darker with neon edges and grids. Also, more epic explosions would be awesome. I know no one cares, but it would still be great.
Andy
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Andy wrote:Personally, I would like to see BZFlag become a little more like Tron: darker with neon edges and grids. Also, more epic explosions would be awesome. I know no one cares, but it would still be great.
Andy
The mapping tools for BZFlag are versatile that enough you could make a map that looks like Tron, if you wanted to. The map Battlezone Vectrex has a somewhat Tron like feel.
Last edited by Spazzy McGee on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Andy
Private
Private

Post by Andy »

That's a good point.
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

I'm also pretty sure you can go to your options and can change a lot of different stuff including making your tank explode when you die.
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

gentle giant wrote:I'm also pretty sure you can go to your options and can change a lot of different stuff including making your tank explode when you die.
What...? Your tank always explodes when you die. There isn't a menu option for that. :P And I don't exactly see what that had to do with the rest of the thread.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

tanks, at least as i see it, can explode in different ways. On MW2, tanks are exploded quickly, with little smoke, and at a high circumference. But other map/servers have tanks exploding in a small area, slowly, with a big cloud of smoke that can distract you. And maybe its just me, so correct me if im wrong.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

_explodeTime
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

littlelep wrote:tanks, at least as i see it, can explode in different ways. On MW2, tanks are exploded quickly, with little smoke, and at a high circumference. But other map/servers have tanks exploding in a small area, slowly, with a big cloud of smoke that can distract you. And maybe its just me, so correct me if im wrong.
Again, it still has nothing to do with this thread. How tanks explode is controlled by the server and has been around for quite some time. It has nothing to do with 3.0
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

one difference I would like to see in 3.0 is the ability to us constructive solid geometry in map objects.

for example: when one wants to make a wall with a square hole in it all that is needed is the wall and a box that is used to cut the hole.

unless I am mistaken this is only currently possible with the use of multiple boxes the put around the hole or meshes.
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Just use a mesh...
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)