New Rabit Chase Map

Previews and comments on future maps.
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

New Rabit Chase Map

Post by Propane Tank »

The title is still to come. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear 'em. Also if anyone wants FREE advertising for their server and/or website, you can make a 512x250 at the largest. You're also free to make wall decorations too. I will then add them around the map. I hope to have the map up and hosted by Wednesday this week at the eariest. I might have Cruel Dog host it, but first I'm gonna try and make a deal with Ebert. Stay tuned to this post and http://bzflagmaps.webhop.net/ for more details/updates.
Below are some screenshots. ****NOTE****The map isn't final. As I update, I will add updated screenshots.
bzfi0001.png
(316.63 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
bzfi0004.png
(231.91 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
*****Update*****
OK, I now have some screen shots. I will still add stuff as needed throught the day. So The map could be hosted as soon as Monday. I still have to get my signs on the strait and narrow. I have the correct box size, but I need to use textsize i was told, but it is a unknowen paramiter, so if anyone could help me with that, I would greatly appreciate it. I have added one thing that I have never done before. No it's not a mesh. It's a Cone. I have added about 5 or 6. I also got the swimming pool figured out, so that's look'in good.
bzfi0006.png
(410.88 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
bzfi0008.png
(357.58 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by Propane Tank on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Propane Tank
blast
General
General

Re: New Rabit Chase Map

Post by blast »

Moved to correct forum. Also, did you mean 512x256?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

Yes. I think 512X256 would be better. I have been doing my research and I discovered that to make a swimming pool, I need to make a mesh. Well I'm not good at meshes, (they seem complicated) so Optic Delusion is going to help me with the mesh. The release date for the map has been delayed to next week sometime. Is today Wednesday? Yes it is, so I would need to have the map out now and I can't without a swimming pool!, just wouldn't be right, so I have delayed the release date to next week sometime if not until a couple weeks. We'll see how things turn out. To get more info or a few more details, read the blog entry on my site, http://bzflagmaps.webhop.net/blog.php
-Propane Tank
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

I wrote an update at the top.
-Propane Tank
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

I am proud to announce that the rabbit hunt map can be hosted as soon as a bzflag forums admin approves of my swimming pool sign. A cool part for map owners and server owners is you can advertise your map/server for FREE. I have set up 9 walls for advertising. To continue reading this post visit the following link. http://bzflagmaps.webhop.net/blog/rabit-hunt-map-update If you have comments/questions feel free to post them here or at the bzflagmaps blog.
-Propane Tank
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Approved, and you really need to learn how to spell "rabbit"...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

joevano wrote:Approved, and you really need to learn how to spell "rabbit"...
Yeah, at first I thought it was one B. You know I'm using Internet Explore, you've gotta give me credit. I just found an online spell checker about a week ago, so when I use my desktop, I use it to check my spelling. When I use my laptop I use Firefox which has a built in spell checker. There is a third party plug in for IE that checks your spelling. It's called IE Spell I think, but keep forgetting to download it.
-Propane Tank
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

You have two problems; your spelling, and IE. :P
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

I hope for this map to be up very very soon. There is a bug in BZNetwork with rabbit style maps, as soon as jcp (Javawizard2539) fixes the problem, I can start the map up. Thanks for all your patience. The map will be also be publicly available for download on http://bzflagmaps.webhop.net for anyone who wants to run it privately or publicly. And once I get the rabbit chase map going, I'll add a link to the file. If you have any questions, either pm me or e-mail me at propanetank[at]bzflagmaps[dot]webhop[dot]net
-Propane Tank
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

YESSSSS!!! The error with BZNetwork and rabbit style maps has been fixed. You can find the map on hosting.bzaddict.net:5164 or by searching propane. Anyone may also download the map on http://bzflagmaps.webhop.net/my-maps.php. Also, if anyone has any ads they want on the map, the requiremets are:
must be a 512X128 or it may not look right
must be uploaded to images.bzflag.org

All I need is just the url of the image(s) and there is a limit on the number of ads you can run. You can only run two(2) at once. If you have a newer updated ad, contact me at propanetank[at]bzflagmaps[dot]webhop[dot]net with the new image's url and the image(s) you wish to take down. I will need your folder name on images.bzflag.org so I can assure you and other that I take down the correct ads. If you have questions or comments, post them here.
-Propane Tank
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Do you have any specific licensing for your maps? I see that you require attribution - so maybe something like Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 would be good?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

If it's on http://Bzflagmaps.webhop.net, it's under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareLike 3.0
But does it really matter, if I made it and it publicly available for download it's obvious that it's shareware. And for maps people submit, the uploader can choose how their map can be used. And those I will also add under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareLike 3.0
-Propane Tank
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Propane Tank wrote:If it's on http://Bzflagmaps.webhop.net, it's under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareLike 3.0
But does it really matter, if I made it and it publicly available for download it's obvious that it's shareware. And for maps people submit, the uploader can choose how their map can be used. And those I will also add under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareLike 3.0
Yes, it does, there is nothing "obvious" about it. "Shareware" is something TOTALLY different than the license you specified. What someone is allowed to do with your map (or any software really) is controlled by the license. Having it available for download does not necessarily mean that someone can host it, maybe you only wanted to make it available as a starting point for other people to modify. Maybe it is ONLY available for hosting with no modification allowed. Maybe you want to be mentioned when others make derivative works off your map... the cases could go on and on. That is all controlled by the license.

A mistake people often make is that because something is available for download on the internet that they can do anything they like with that content. Well, that is just not the case, and has been proven time and time again in the courts. We defend our license fiercely and respect other works licenses just as much as our own. It is only fair, and the right thing to do. So, we expect all maps here to be clearly licensed and another stipulation that we have for hosting here is that it be as open-source friendly license. It prevents any misunderstandings or hurt feelings in the future and helps us to promote sharing within the community, because that is what open-source is all about.

PS And yes, there have been some pretty nasty fights over maps in the past.

PPS Just FYI, the definition of "Shareware" (from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareware) is:
The term shareware refers to proprietary software that is provided to users without payment on a trial basis and is often limited by any combination of functionality, availability or convenience. Shareware is often offered as a download from an Internet website or as a compact disc included with a periodical such as a newspaper or magazine. The rationale behind shareware is to give buyers the opportunity to use the program and judge its usefulness before purchasing a license for the full version of the software.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln