What mouse do you use? (to play bzflag)

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Ephraim wrote:It occasionally decides to give me the Reverse Controls flag, except worse, and I have to shake it around to get it to start tracking correctly again.
You seem to have some special heartfelt relationship with your mouse, why else you wouldn't give a try with another mouse? :P

Ok, here the story:
Mouse 1: The cable always get stuck somehow. Never found out how :?: => next mouse
From now on consequently just optical wireless mouses:
Mouse 2: The software of the new very cheap mouse made issues :x (You get what you pay for) => bye bye company, next mouse
Mouse 3: Consequently a not specially cheap mouse now. 1 time it did fell down :oops: from the desktop. The battery cap damaged completely :!: => bye bye company, next mouse
Mouse 4: Sometimes annoying :x issues with the wireless connection after booting. Got mad pressing the reconnect button. => next mouse
Mouse 5: What the heck? A mechanical button-click-sound doesn't automatically cause a software-button-click? => next mouse
Mouse 6: Oh crap, totally incompatible to a special boot system, didn't work there at all! => next mouse
Mouse 7: Too often I needed to shake the mouse, in order to deactivate its stand by modus. => next mouse
Mouse 8: Couldn't work pixel-exactly, even not close to pixel-accuracy, imagine the fun of picture editing... :evil: => next mouse
Mouse 9: Mouse with build in charge-system for the recharchable mouse accu: If i had bad luck, the rechargable accu were empty at the wrong time. Wasn't the only issue => next mouse
Mouse 10: Again wireless reconnect issues, but this time even during runtime. Too often even :!: the reconnect button didn't help, although batteries had full capacity level and although the reciever was near the mouse. Found out how to solve the reconnect issure, but it was still too annoying => next mouse
Mouse 11-xx: ...
-----------
=> all in all a really tidy misinvestment $$$ :doh:
Mouse xx: Enough! Now I was going for real. Again a new mouse from another company, and this time I was paying extra money, as you get what you pay for. (For a fraction of money I could get a mouse with much more features)

Advantages of the new mouse:
-Although I set a pretty fast mouse cursor speed, I can work pixel-exactly if I apply stubborn will.
-Just needs one battery.
-Gladly, it's not an overly mobile laptop mouse that is difficult to use by an adult hand.
-For a mobile mouse it has excellent ergonomy, now I even abuse this mouse as a desktop mouse replacement.
-No issues with wireless connection, even not 1 time issues after using it several years!
-Mouse did fall :? even SEVERAL times down, still it works perfectly.
-The company outmatched itself :o, they claimed a battery stamina of 6 months when using it averagly. But the mouse wasn't used averagly, instead daily for SEVERAL hours with just 1 cheap battery (I'm sure branded batteries have much more capacity). The battery stamina is outstanding: I reached about half year runtime! So i grabbed batteries of people that don't do their job on their systems, but in my mouse these exhausted batteries sometimes still work for months!

Alltogether that's what I call a high quality product. Other companies again could learn more from this company than the other way round.

(Additionally it's nice to see that this company cares about human healty and designed more ergonomically mouses, in contrast to other costly mouse competitors.
(And I personally like their mouse gimmicks like build in laser pointer, wireless presentation buttons, build in flash, 4 directions scroll wheel, and so on...
Btw, I guess I'm again too old fashioned, I don't understand why the kiddies are so wishful for the mighty mouse? Again I don't understand how this is an innovative product?)

Anyway, I kinda never use mouse for Bz, situation didn't change with that mouse.

Here the company name: Microsoft (So you know that I don't get paid from the company for doing advertising.)
Last edited by z[h]ero on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Microsoft doesn't produce mice. Logitech (and lately Razor) produce "their" mice.

I've a complete different history. First bought a cheap 7€ mouse but after a year pointer began to jump a lot. Went the Logitech cordless mouse man optical way (a fine mouse!) which worked fine around 5 years until side button began to fire events at random. I wanted a side button therefore deactivating button at software level was not an option. Choosed Logitech MX 1000 that time and it did a tremendous job 5 years. I always put it back into loading station after usage. However I wanted something new (MX 1000 still works fine) so I went the Logitech G5 way because the MX Revolution has a seperate loading station and its "gaming abilities" were worse than MX 1000's according to lot of tests. Sadly shortly after I puchased the one side button variant Logitech came up with a 2 side button version of the G5.So..few months ago I went out and purchased the newer version. My older G5 had really heavily worn down feet and with my new mousepad (Steel Series Experience I-2 black) it made an ugly loud scratching sound when moving it onto the surface. The new G5 still makes a little scratching sound but it's not sounding that sharp and "stubborn" like the old one plus I have one more button for Exposé. The MX 1000 in comparision is like rubbing a piece of metal against the mousepad, making horrible noises. I guess I like PTFE feet.

The most interesting thing I found that I was able to adapt to all different mice to have the cursor moved like I wanted. The only problematic thing with the G5 is that its cable tends to build traction with my desktop when I try to pass flag at HIX. When using a bit more force to get my tank in position I felt down couple of times. I guess that is one of the sakes to have a USB DVB-T stick and its antenna cable at the same side of desk where the mouse cable resides.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
LegoKid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by LegoKid »

I use the built-in mousepad of my Dell Precision M2300.
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: What mouse do you use? (to play bzflag)

Post by Sniper752 »

I also use a logitech,
the MX500
scroll down:shoot
scroll up: drop flag
left click: jump
right click: respawn/lock on
although i normally prefer a keyboard over a mouse (mac standard keyboard)
[center]::|:|::|Sniper752|::|:|::
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
Owner: Hosting.BZAddict.net ports 5242 and 5243
Admin: bzsupreme.webarts.bc.ca[/center]
rhapsody
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rhapsody »

I use the standard Dell mouse that came with my computer. Works just fine.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

dunno what mine is, one of the school mice. erm "borrowed" of course..
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I had my PS3 controller up and running today, it was actually great fun. I can see it being quite a nice way of playing, once you get used to it. Much better than using the wiimote, which was a disaster.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sniper752 »

Spazzy McGee wrote:I had my PS3 controller up and running today, it was actually great fun. I can see it being quite a nice way of playing, once you get used to it. Much better than using the wiimote, which was a disaster.
how did u use a wiimote??????
that would be neat cause i have some but how???
[center]::|:|::|Sniper752|::|:|::
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
Owner: Hosting.BZAddict.net ports 5242 and 5243
Admin: bzsupreme.webarts.bc.ca[/center]
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The wiimote is a bluetooth device, so you would need a bluetooth receiver on your computer, and an appropriate driver or program for your computer. This goes beyond the scope of this forum, so please google "wiimote on pc" for more information.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)