Progressive Flag Mode

Expand and mod your server.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Progressive Flag Mode

Post by optic delusion »

Theme97 and I have the plugin almost ready for release, it worked perfectly for nine hours tonight, here's how it plays.

Flags are not randomly placed around the map, they are hidden on an un-reachable platform. When a player makes a kill, his "Flag Level" goes up one notch. A flag is then given to that player, corresponding to his level. It may take more than one kill to "progress" from one level to the next. Teamkills put the killer at level "negative 1" and an un-shakable bad flag is given to that TK'er. The bad flag stays with the negative level player, until he can make a kill, even through multiple respawns.

There is a configuration file that the plugin loads, so the levels may change at any time, but here is how I have levels set up right now.

-1. Blindness, Jamming, No Jumping, Or Wide Angle. For teamkiller.

0. Useless. All Spawns have Useless. This is important because it makes it harder for other players to tell that you have no flag. Don't drop it.

1. Sheild. Shield can be more powerful than it seems.

2. Invisible Bullett, Machine Gun, Or Quick Turn

3. Agility or HighSpeed
All the levels so far require one kill to progress. It takes 2 kills to progress from level 3 to level 4.

4. Stealth or Tiny. I make my tiny more tiny than default setting.
now you need three kills to progress to...

5. ShockWave
four more kills gets you...

6. Laser or Guided Missile
you need five kills to get....

7. Genocide. watch out for the TK's
nine kills are required for...

8. Wings. Finally, after 25 consecutive kills, you can fly away home...

I might also sprinkle a few seers and one thief flag on the ground. If you drop your flag or your flag is stolen, you lose it, but don't go down a level, so you should be able to continue to progress.

Rogues cannot TeamKill with my current settings, but I may change that.

It actually plays like a cross between a server that has no flags, and one that does have flags. At any one time, half the players are carrying a useless or shield flag.

Stay Tuned For Updates!
The server is A-Delusion.no-ip-info:4356
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

lol, nice!

good work guys! :D
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I think there is a place like that
Theme97
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Progressive Flag Mode

Post by Theme97 »

A-Delusion wrote:Teamkills put the killer at level "negative 1" and an un-shakable bad flag is given to that TK'er. The bad flag stays with the negative level player, until he can make a kill, even through multiple respawns.
Yes, BUT, if you're already at negative 1, you can go lower with more teamkills. :twisted: That means...
A-Delusion wrote:7. Genocide. watch out for the TK's
You better.
Goodbye2U
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Goodbye2U »

Yeah, I remember when U tested that feature. what was it, 7-8 TKs?
resulting in 6-7 kills to level 0. Or was it every(non TK) kill adds to the count?
I'm thinking I need a better sig than this...
soad freak
Private First Class
Private First Class

its gr8

Post by soad freak »

iplyed it its great but no one else plays it :cry:
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

I liked it too, but the others kept whinging about it, apparently because they couldn't make the progress and felt disadvantaged by the better players getting the good flags.

It was a fair bit buggy for me when I tried it, in that the levels didn't progress right for me (for example, I was on level 6 and my next kill took me back to level 1 even though I hadn't died - that sucked as it took my excellent GM flag away and replaced it with shield).
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Bumping a very old thread, but this server has some dedicated fans, and they have been leaving /reports. Here's what you want to know.
Use these commands to stop and restart the giving of flags.
/pf off - This will allow you to keep the flag you have at the time you use the command.
/pf on -restarts the flag level count, you will get new flags.

Also.. we pretty much worked out the bugs, the only thing that kills it is lost packets. If your under 250 lag and :!: ZERO :!: packetloss, you should have no problems getting the progressive flags.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
darkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by darkid »

I believe something like this is up in "Mo-fo Pro", although I don't know whether or not it is from this plugin.
Darkid--Not a happy camper.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Lots of plugins are loaded on many different servers and we don't really need to know. Most of us don't care.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

This is coming back, and it's going to work this time.

Winnie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Winnie »

Go optic! :D
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

It's running now on port 4201 Passion Map. Still testing. Gotta turn on Open-FFA, and other changes.

Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

Gollum here too. I shall check it out, it up for awhile?
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

Is that the old mofo map!? :D

If so, great remodel, I couldnt even focus!
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Progressive Flag Mode has returned!
I figured out a way to do it that i thought would be bug free, no problems with lag causing missed flags.
Zehra made the plugin. It works!
We will do some final perfecting of the levels and bring it back in a few days.

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

It's interesting to see Stealth so relatively soon on the list, considering it is one of the most powerful flags in the game, alongside Wings perhaps, depending on the flap count.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I you look at the date of the first post in this thread, you will understand there are going to be some changes.

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

I was and am aware of the date the OP was posted, there was no hint of any changes that I caught, though. Was merely a remark that some changes might be wise to be considered if they aren't already ;)
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

It's a new method of getting the flags to players. Instead of using "flag give" to remove the flag they had and then give them their new flag (we called this "zapping" flags and many times flags would fail to arrive because of packet loss), there are many small zones where flags are placed, and players have to drop their flag and go get a new one.
If at any time you like the flag you have, you can keep it. Just don't drop it.
More details soon.

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

That's actually pretty nifty. Hopefully the zone quantity doesn't affect the performance that much.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

tainn wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:25 pm That's actually pretty nifty. Hopefully the zone quantity doesn't affect the performance that much.
Thanks for the insight and feedback, it helps with improving and developing better plug-ins.
According to the most recent tests of the latest version, there does not seem to be any performance issues, so this shouldn't be a concern.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread