Help Testing New Installer

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Help Testing New Installer

Post by JeffM »

I need some help in testing out the new windows installer for BZFlag. We have changed over to using a newer version of the Visual C++ compiler (2008) and that has required some changes to the installer in order to install the correct runtimes.

I've built an installer for the current 2.0.13 branch using the new system and I need people to try it.
You can get it at http://www.awesomelaser.com/test/bzflag ... 100209.exe
It is compatible with existing 2.0.x servers and clients.

Thanks.
ImageJeffM
Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Help Testing New Installer

Post by Gamma »

Tested and it works like a charm :D
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium.

But I've got to say I'm not too sure if I like the font on the agreement page (was that font type on previous installers?)

EDIT: btw I have 64 bit windows installation.
Last edited by Gamma on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

...BZFlag Forever.
strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by strayer »

I successfully tested the installer with Windows 2000 Professional (32 bit) and Windows 7 x64 Professional.
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Worked well on XP Media Center 2003, Media Center 2005 and XP Professional
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I'm a little surprised that it worked on windows 2000, but that's cool. It should be noted that this build also uses DirectX8 for it's joystick input, and that may not be available on very old versions of windows.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Windows 2000 (might need to be SP4) will be the lowest OS that is supported anyway since the 2008 Visual C++ runtime only supports 2000 and up. DirectX 9.0c is available for Windows 2000, so that should be fine as well.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

what about win ME?
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Windows ME is not on our supported list of Windows OSs anymore. Microsoft desupported it LONG ago. If this installer doesn't work for you then you will need to keep using the older versions, or do the work in the code to make it run on your OS.

The goal from this point on is to support Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7, with windows 2000 support being a "maybe if it's easy" thing. For the Mac we would like to support OSX 10.4 and later.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And if someone is still running Windows Me, then I feel sorry for them. ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

If older versions of windows aren't supported, then why are we so worried about bzf3 being compatible with older graphics cards?
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

huttymuncher wrote:If older versions of windows aren't supported, then why are we so worried about bzf3 being compatible with older graphics cards?
Because people may have a newer operating system but an older graphics card (if I'm correct)

...BZFlag Forever.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

huttymuncher wrote:If older versions of windows aren't supported, then why are we so worried about bzf3 being compatible with older graphics cards?
This thread isn't for BZFlag 3. This is an installer that will be used for 2.0.14. And in any case, what Gamma said is correct. For example, I had an old PIII 800MHz system with terrible Intel 810 graphics that was running XP. And on the other extreme, I have an nVidia 9800GTX+ running on another XP system. ;) So the OS doesn't dictate how good the graphics will be.