BZFlag 3-Dimensional

Place all meeting requests / announcements here...
wassup
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag 3-Dimensional

Post by wassup »

Bzflag is a three dimensional game, but it is limited to a screen, I have been studying visual arts in 3D animation, and thought that if possible, i would like to bring 3D to bzflag.

I have learned about 3D visual arts through photography, but because this is a game, I need to work with someone who has knowledge and ability of modifying textures that coexist with the tank's position.

Please get back to me with development on this idea, as I would love to have this become a reality.

Thanks-
Wassup
73% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Think about it.
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Re: BZFlag 3-Dimensional

Post by trepan »

for lack of a better explanation on your part:

bzflag -view anaglyph
wassup
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wassup »

I have the visual arts knowledge to do this, but not the knowledge of the game's source code.

I would like to team up with someone who does have knowledge of the source code and would be willing to work with me.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

wassup wrote:I have the visual arts knowledge to do this, but not the knowledge of the game's source code.

I would like to team up with someone who does have knowledge of the source code and would be willing to work with me.
Let me translate what trepan is saying... "You are late to the party... we already do that." ;-) He gave you the command to turn on the 3D, break out your red/blue glasses and enjoy. When you are tired of the 3D, start bzflag with bzflag -view normal to turn it off.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
wassup
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wassup »

How do i enable it?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

well.. if you had read.. using the -view anaglyph command line option on the client.This is what he was telling you in the first place.

There are other threads on the subject as well as the manual for the game, and the wiki. a simple search on your part should show you more information if you need it.
ImageJeffM
xuguwei
Private
Private

Post by xuguwei »

Hi, I don't know how many guys have join in this 3d game team. I have some experience in making games and 3d graphics. I have finished a ray tracing project of my Computer Graphics class and a ball game in the FPGA design class. What can I do if I want to join in?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'd recommend hopping on to the IRC channel at around 10 to 12 hours from now (around 16:00 to 18:00 UTC). That's where the majority of the development discussions happen. We are on freenode (irc.freenode.net) on the channel #bzflag.

You can find out more about using freenode on their "using the network" page. I'd recommend getting a real IRC client, but for just a quick chat you could use the freenode web chat.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

darkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by darkid »

Currently, if you have a pair of ANAGLYPH glasses, then you can run bzflag from terminal (mac) or CMD prompt (windows). Go to the appropriate directory, and type ./bzflag -view anaglyph (on mac, at any rate).
Darkid--Not a happy camper.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

darkid wrote:Currently, if you have a pair of ANAGLYPH glasses, then you can run bzflag from terminal (mac) or CMD prompt (windows). Go to the appropriate directory, and type ./bzflag -view anaglyph (on mac, at any rate).
Is there an echo???
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
darkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by darkid »

just trying to clarify, just saying:
When you are tired of the 3D, start bzflag with bzflag -view normal to turn it off.
might not help some people.
Darkid--Not a happy camper.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

trepan wrote:for lack of a better explanation on your part:

bzflag -view anaglyph
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

Are other forms of 3D doable on a normal screen, like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_polarization used by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealD_Cinema which is used by cinema 3D, which is far more effective and doesn't create headaches.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

no, that requires a special viewing setup. For movies they project polarized light, one axis for each eye, a normal display does not have polarization filters for that.

Anaglyph, and shutter glasses are the only 2 stereo type displays that work on a normal monitor. Anaglyph is supported by the bzflag client, shutter glasses (and all other single display methods) are supported by video hardware/drivers.
ImageJeffM