Explicit Content

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Explicit Content

Post by Bambino »

Okay, first of all, there is no explicit content in this post.

What if there was a server config variable called "-explict" or "-explicitContent" that when adding that line into your config and a player goes to join your server s/he will get a page much like the "are you sure you want to quit" page. Instead it would be like "This server may contain explicit content, are you sure you want to continue to join" etc.

I thought this would he useful for servers who are more lenant with language rules, Planet MoFo for example.

Thoughts?
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
joevano
General
General

Re: Explicit Content

Post by joevano »

No, the connotations are too broad. Since it would require the server owner to set it the use would be sporadic at best. It would drive people away from their server, for the most part, and that is why they would not set it. So following that line, it would be hit or miss (read useless) for people to screen where they would like to play.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

And anyway, in the case of Planet MoFo, we say that we allow swearing and the like in our server message. I think, for the most part, people get 'offended' because they feel they should be offended - the "oh, please, think of the children" school of thought. People are rarely actually personally offended.

If you disagree with it on moral grounds (which is perfectly acceptable), leave the server, and don't rejoin.

Sticks and stones....
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
adameros
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by adameros »

I don't know, I think I would prefer and explicit server. Sick of people complaining about other peoples language.
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

adameros wrote:Sick of people complaining about other peoples language.
although considered extreme by some, you always have the option to silence individuals using your K key.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Another note about MoFo. We use the groupBan plugin against those in the COPPA group. Coppa users cannot join.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

what's "coppa" for? Is that where all the a hats end up?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln